ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Help me pick the right name for my software

<< < (2/4) > >>

40hz:
I agree with Renegade.  :Thmbsup:

Cute and clever only work if you have the marketing resources to promote it. Otherwise, it only serves to confuse people and make your product harder to find with search.

The other problem is that, when it comes to product names, nothing is more common than clever. So odds are somebody will have already thought of it or be using it if it has any logic to it. And possibly have (or claim to have) it trademarked, or copyrighted, or whatever. Sometimes they even get ugly about it (esoecially if theyre crazy to begin with) and start playing DMCA takedown games once you start using it. (Been there.)

In general, clever is more trouble than it's worth.

Renegade's suggestion for YOURNAME + a functional descriptor is what I'd go with in a similar situation.

cranioscopical:
vlastimil, be aware that "Quaint" can have a somewhat old-fashioned, almost disparaging connotation in modern usage..

I strongly agree that you should use 'RW' for thematic continuity.

RW Imagin (with apologies to 40hz  ;D)  ?

RW Imaged  ?

RW PaintKing ?

Best of luck, whatever you choose!

Darwin:
I vote for RealWorld Paint as well.

Curt:
Please take a minute to reflect on your other programs' names: Photos, Icon Editor, and Cursor Editor. I know that Photos was not named Photo Editor (like any other photo editor), but the new baby/program should not be named too differently from the brothers; they are family. Photos... Paints?

vlastimil:
Thanks for the responses! It seems like almost everyone directly or indirectly recommends

RealWorld Paint

or a variation that uses another imaging-related word instead of Paint. It is likely that I will pick this name in the end, and it seems like a natural choice.

But I feel like I am not in control, like the name just happened, not like I chose it. RealWorld is kind of random - I started with 3D editor years ago that was supposed to be called RealWorld Designer, because VirtualWorld Designer was too ordinary, and it stuck. For me, it is a bit hard to pronounce (maybe native speakers do not have this problem) due to the amount of Rs and Ls. The RW is even longer (R-double-U). I have hard time imagining someone recommending the software on the street or in the pub and the other side remembering it correctly. That is the reason I tried to find another name - something that can live without the RealWorld. A general purpose image/animation editor has potentially many more users than an icon editor or a cursor editor and I think an unique and easy to remember name (I can also rank for) could help.

Edit: what would you think about something like RealWorld Paintee?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version