ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Help me pick the right name for my software

(1/4) > >>

vlastimil:
Hi all,

I know I suck at naming my software, so maybe this time I should ask before making another bad decision.

The program is an image/photo/animation editor (I mentioned it in this topic, when I was looking for beta testers). Until now, it was called Paint.COM, which I thought was funny, but apparently it wasn't to some people. I decided to change it.

Here are some candidates:

RealWorld Paint - unimaginative, but fitting my other tools. Probably hard to remember.

Paint Quest - painting is an adventure, a holy quest :-). It has a gaming feel and could appeal to younger people. I was also thinking to eventually make interactive tutorials, where the users will be given tasks to fulfill, but that would not be done in the near future.

Paint++ - it seems there already is a software called Paint++, but it looks like 1:1 copy of the old Windows Paint and it is likely to die. So, the name is more or less still free. Would probably appeal to programmers.

Qaint - Q = P+1 or maybe Quaint (new English word I learned today, yay!). It sounds good to me, but I am unsure if I can become #1 in Google for the quaint keyword. People would probably misspell qaint. Also, the relation to painting is not straightforward.

P-Paint - short version of Portable Paint.

5Ps - Portable + 3 other adjectives starting with P + Paint.

or...

Thanks for any opinions or suggestions.

mouser:
"RealWorld Paint" makes the most sense to me,

but I am a notoriously bad software namer so i won't even try to suggest any names, however i can help rule some out.

Anything with punctuation should go, especially with the ++.  Basically makes it hard to search for.

And searchability is the bottom line i think when looking for a new name.  So that rules out the 3 letter 5ps.

mahesh2k:
How's "Paintamin" ?

Ath:
"RealWorld Paint" makes the most sense to me,
-mouser (September 24, 2011, 08:59 AM)
--- End quote ---
+1, shorted to RW Paint as on the website, still makes sense ;)

Renegade:
I would love to participate, but please have a look at my software names. You'll quickly see that I have nothing worthwhile to contribute. :)

And searchability is the bottom line i think when looking for a new name.
--- End quote ---

And that is the largest part of why my software names suck. Well, for search engines they are tasty, but that's about it.

The only thing that I can possibly suggest is something like:

<company name> <product name>

or

<product name> for <purpose>

Slick names are great if you have a marketing department that can push stuff for you. Sucky names that are search engine friendly are for poor little developers that have to do it all themselves.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version