ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

The False Positive and Improperly Rated Site Epidemic

<< < (11/16) > >>

Renegade:
To help drive this point along, in many installers there is the bit about disabling your AV software.  I used to work at a company where we had a pretty tight licensing system, that used an implementation of a third-party licensing component.  I had to write a lot of code to get it to work and integrate with the product.  But apparently some AV programs looked at the licensing as virus-like activity.  In that case, would it not have been the company that was affected and so the company that should have a right to pursue remedies, instead of waiting for the developers of the licensing component?
-wraith808 (September 25, 2011, 08:58 AM)
--- End quote ---

Good point about installers recommending that people turn off AV software. (I don't think it should be necessary, but that's just what I think.)

In the past, most of the problems I've had with false positives have been rooted in either compression or encryption. Was the licensing issue you had due to network traffic or encryption/compression?

db90h:
BACK ON TOPIC

April is the spokesman, but I wanted to quickly say that software sites who support this project may soon have a logo to display, helping us spread the word. It will take TIME for this project to propagate. Do not give up. Be patient. Until we have a logo, feel free to link to The False Positive Report at http://falsepositivereport.com

@wraith/renegade: Licensing/protector/compressor/installer system false positives have long been a problem and are being addressed by a separate project called the Taggant project. It is embedded a signature into compressed/protected EXEs so security companies can identify the license used, and if it is a legitimate license that hasn't been abused before.

wraith808:
Good point about installers recommending that people turn off AV software. (I don't think it should be necessary, but that's just what I think.)

In the past, most of the problems I've had with false positives have been rooted in either compression or encryption. Was the licensing issue you had due to network traffic or encryption/compression?
-Renegade (September 25, 2011, 09:46 AM)
--- End quote ---

I think it was due to encryption, but I couldn't say that with 100% certainty.  From the work I had to do, I know that compression wasn't used, and I don't *think* there was any network traffic associated with the solution; it was put in place to replace the dongle solution that they used before, and they called it 'software dongle emulation', though in retrospect, it was more like software license management, where you have a licensing server that validates keys against the keys that are on the DVDs of the connected computers, so the DVD itself acted as a sort of dongle.  Really complicated (and complicated the mastering process) and really pointless IMO.

Stoic Joker:
Wraith, Renegade, I understand where you're coming from ... I really do. But you're not helping.

I also get where db90h is coming from. He's got a good idea, a means to implement it, and a narrow window of opportunity ... To catch and hold the AV companies attention. And the only way to do that is to keep it simple. Clear cut. black & white. UnArguable-ly, blatantly fucking obvious. Anything that is, or could be debatable, requires one risk taking a side ... Which is not something the AV companies are willing to do ... Just because they are them. Corporate facades protecting an image.

In keeping with this theme, anything that is, was, could, or might be... put up for debate. Must, be removed from the table. Or the corporate monkeys will simply run shrieking right back up their trees. Where they'll then happily continue their life-as-usual banana squeezing rituals.

They've been coaxed out of the trees, solely with the anticipation of getting a shiny bauble of black and white simplicity ... That any 4 year old could understand. I.e.:

James Earl Jones, is unarguably, obviously, black.
Tom Cruise, is unarguable, obviously, white.

-and-

Rae Dawn Chong, is (incredibly hot, but...) flat out just not going to (S-I-M-P-L-Y) fit into either of the two above categories. Dig?

Don't be so eager for the end game, "the kill" can wait... ;)

db90h:
I sure hope this anti-FP action will go well.  :up:

However, already been told that the thread will move to another domain, I am not inclined to register at Bitsum's, in order to upload a post or two. I think more people than me may have had a similar thought.

-Curt (September 24, 2011, 05:00 AM)
--- End quote ---

It has been moved already -- http://falsepositivereport.com

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version