ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

How To Write Unmaintainable Code

<< < (2/4) > >>

Renegade:
Luckily I do not need instructions - it comes naturally to me :D
-capitalH (September 22, 2011, 07:11 AM)
--- End quote ---

Hahahahaha~!

Nice one! :)

40hz:
You could always hire a certain someone I know. Lovely person to talk to. She handles web projects for her employer - who thinks she's a wizard. She's the living embodiment of the 'stream of consciousness' school of programming... :)

iphigenie:
You could always hire a certain someone I know. Lovely person to talk to. She handles web projects for her employer - who thinks she's a wizard. She's the living embodiment of the 'stream of consciousness' school of programming... :)
-40hz (September 22, 2011, 09:45 AM)
--- End quote ---

Actually that style worked pretty well for web programming for the longest time, since http is a)linear and b)amnesiac. The industry is full of people like that who managed quite well on the server side programming.
It's harder in our days of ajax, html5, rich interfaces in javascript, flash and silverlight etc.

Renegade:
-40hz (September 22, 2011, 09:45 AM)
--- End quote ---

Actually that style worked pretty well for web programming for the longest time, since http is a)linear and b)amnesiac. The industry is full of people like that who managed quite well on the server side programming.
It's harder in our days of ajax, html5, rich interfaces in javascript, flash and silverlight etc.
-iphigenie (September 25, 2011, 03:17 AM)
--- End quote ---

It can be extremely difficult sometimes when you're working with umpteen trillion different technologies.

In 1 portion of 1 project, this is what I need to deal with:

C#
VB.NET
ASP.NET
X/HTML
CSS
XML
TXT
HTTP
JavaScript
2 Frameworks
4 Components
1 Database
6 Projects
4 Web applications (3 are also projects)
? APIs... I don't feel like counting...

I'm sure I'm forgetting some things, but whatever. Point is, it takes a lot of effort to keep each section separate and clean and working well with every other part. It's easy to see why some things turn into complete disasters. (I've been taking my time to make certain that things are as maintainable as possible. e.g. TONS of comments in code with everything as atomic as possible.)

In some ways, you're kind of like a conductor when you're programming -- it's up to you to orchestrate everything and "make music".

40hz:
Iphigenie is perceptive as ever.  8) :Thmbsup:

The woman I was speaking of dates back to the "fly by the seat of your pants" era in web development; and built her reputation back when transparent 1-pixel gifs were considered a brilliant web hack. Unfortunately, she has not kept up with current best practices.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version