Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site April 20, 2014, 04:04:18 PM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

Read the Practical Guide to DonationCoder.com Forum Search Features

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Grid Layout software? Does it exist?  (Read 2743 times)
superboyac
Charter Member

Is your software in my list?

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« on: July 11, 2011, 11:55:25 AM »

Hi everyone, I was wondering if anyone knows about grid layout software?  Not specifically for the purposes of website design or anything web related, just a general layout tool.  Meaning, I'm looking for a windows standalone program.  It's something that Excel can do, but I wanted to know if there's something designed specifically for this.

Grid layout, as I imagine it, would allow me to create a layout governed by merging and splitting cells.  It's a really cool way to lay things out, and it's sort of how my mind naturally works.  I know Excel can do this, but it's not truly meant for it.  Thoughts?

mahesh2k
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2011, 12:09:50 PM »

Treesheets allow grid format, merging of cells for notes. I hope i got your question right.
superboyac
Charter Member

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2011, 12:19:11 PM »

Treesheets allow grid format, merging of cells for notes. I hope i got your question right.
Yeah, I thought Treesheets would be the answer initially also.  But while it's great for outlining, it can't do grid layouts at the moment.  Grid layouts would mean being able to merge and split cells in a pure, direct manner.  Treesheets is still all about hierarchies and nesting, more so that merging and splitting.  I still think it can do the job, but not as easily as I'd like.  But yeah, I think it comes closest.

justice
Supporting Member

Solve issues simply.

View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2011, 03:44:00 AM »

any software that does tables? html editors, word etc?

superboyac
Charter Member

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2011, 10:26:20 AM »

I think mahesh2k is right.  Treesheets does this pretty much.  I have a couple of extremely minor issues with it, but nothing significant.  It's going to be really interesting to see how this software develops.  It's definitely being developed at a "hobby" pace, which makes sense, I'm sure not too many people are terribly interested in it.

oblivion
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2011, 02:27:25 PM »

I'm sure not too many people are terribly interested in it.

That one's new to me -- and I'm definitely interested. I've never found a good planning tool that worked the way my mind does. Not sure this is it but it looks like it's well worth a try -- so thanks, Mahesh2k!

-- bests, Tim

...this space unintentionally left blank.
superboyac
Charter Member

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2011, 02:40:37 PM »

I'm sure not too many people are terribly interested in it.

That one's new to me -- and I'm definitely interested. I've never found a good planning tool that worked the way my mind does. Not sure this is it but it looks like it's well worth a try -- so thanks, Mahesh2k!
I felt the same way when I saw it.  It really has something great going on.  Another awesome thing about it is how small, fast, responsive it is.

superboyac
Charter Member

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2011, 05:49:19 PM »

Guys!  Check this out!
http://balsamiq.com/products/mockups

It's pretty amazing.  You can essentially create a mock application quite easily.  This might be very important for me.  I always have software ideas, but not being a programmer, it's difficult for me to accurately explain my vision.  This would be awesome for that.  I'm probably going to use it for coding snack ideas...

rgdot
Supporting Member

View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2011, 07:47:40 PM »

That looks nice, might try it myself as well. Nice find.
tsaint
Charter Member

Hi from the a*** end of the earth

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2011, 04:58:25 AM »

For more discussion on this, check this thread from way back: http://www.donationcoder....m/index.php?topic=15868.0
Ath
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2011, 05:11:03 AM »

Guys!  Check this out!

It's pretty amazing.  You can essentially create a mock application quite easily.  This might be very important for me.  I always have software ideas, but not being a programmer, it's difficult for me to accurately explain my vision.  This would be awesome for that.  I'm probably going to use it for coding snack ideas...

This was one of the USP's of Delphi, back in the days. Throw together a UI working with the 'customer', add some (semi)working code, and give a nice demo.

And now MS is doing it 'all over again' with Visual Studio Lightswitch, it seems

wraith808
Supporting Member

"In my dreams, I always do it right."

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2011, 02:10:55 PM »

This was one of the USP's of Delphi, back in the days. Throw together a UI working with the 'customer', add some (semi)working code, and give a nice demo.

As a former delphi coder and advocate even, I'd have to disagree.  Though you could throw things together with little code, you did need it.

This is more like FoxPro or PowerBuilder's territory it seems to me.  And Lightswitch seems an extension of the capabilities of Expression Blend.

Target
Honorary Member

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2011, 06:57:17 PM »

Guys!  Check this out!

saw this today and thought it may be of interest - Wireframe Sketcher

probably not that different to Balsamiq's offering, but they offer a standalone version which may be preferable

and if you're wanting to do mockups you could also try Smart Gui Creator (comes with AHK) or even the form build in VBA (if you're an MS Office user).  Both of these are WYSIWYG

"Look wise, say nothing, and grunt. Speech was given to conceal thought" - Sir William Osler
dspelley
Charter Member

But it's a dry heat.

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2011, 08:21:33 PM »

Here's a list at Specky Boy from about a year and a half ago.  Looks like most of them are online apps, but Denim is a desktop app and looks interesting.

We are at the very beginning of time for the human race. It is not unreasonable that we grapple with problems. But there are tens of thousands of years in the future. Our responsibility is to do what we can, learn what we can, improve the solutions, and pass them on.
--- Richard Feynman (1918-1988)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.047s | Server load: 0 ]