ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Couldn't be more disappointed in Windows 8 :(

<< < (9/11) > >>

Renegade:
I've had several PDAs that used a stylus, and I could still use my fingers with them. Having both options would be nice... You could do it 15 years ago... Seems like we're regressing there.-Renegade (September 25, 2011, 09:21 PM)
--- End quote ---

Resistive screens inherently support both stylus and finger. These days, the much more common capacitive screens need a special stylus, but those are readily available
-Eóin (September 25, 2011, 09:31 PM)
--- End quote ---

Unfortunately they don't really fit very well into the non-existent stylus port...

However...

http://pocketnow.com/tweaks-hacks/how-to-make-a-free-capacitive-stylus

http://www.labnol.org/gadgets/capacitive-stylus-pen-for-touch-screens/13614/

There are a few ways to create one for free.

Still, I'd miss having that convenient little port to store the stylus.

I should stop being so darn lazy and either buy or make one. Actually, making one would be better; I'd be able to see if the inconvenience of having no storage for it makes it impractical.

tranglos:
I've had several PDAs that used a stylus, and I could still use my fingers with them. Having both options would be nice... You could do it 15 years ago... Seems like we're regressing there.-Renegade (September 25, 2011, 09:21 PM)
--- End quote ---

I used to have a Palm, one of those early jobs with monochrome screens. Wasn't too much you could do with it, but the stylus was great. You had to learn their shorthand script for entering characters, but that was fun and with a more advanced touch-screen tech it could well be faster than pecking at those tiny on-screen keys of today. Although the script they designed worked only for Latin A-Z characters, so no accents or diacritics, and no localized software, either.

Unfortunately I didn't have much use for it other than reminders and quick notes away from home.  But my subjective satisfaction was definitely better than my current HTC's "flagship product" gives me.

(Yeah, I *am* picky. I held off buying a smartphone for two years until I found one that looked good, on paper at least. I fully expected short battery life etc., but who knew call quality was going to be worse than with any non-smart Nokia I'd owned before, or that the thing would be dropping GSM connection in the middle of a busy city where regular phones get four bars and grow a fifth if they didn't originally have it! Not the reviewers, that's for sure :-)

Renegade:
The Palm writing recognition was brilliant. It was extremely fast. Much faster than typing on a virtual keyboard. I WISH that some of the mobile OS vendors would bring it back.

Proximo:
I have used my CR-48 Chromebook as my only computer for many months now.  I don't miss my PC one bit.  My next device will be a Tablet because I can do 95% of everything that matters to me.

The only reason I keep a PC around is for high end Graphics software such as Photoshop or Movie Editing software.  That's about it.  Once tablets get powerful enough to run these type of programs, I won't need a PC at all.

Most of what I do is consumption.  When I feel like creating a blog post, I can always dock it to a keyboard.   :D

steveorg:
@steveorg - I tried something like Swype as Swype wasn't available (only OEM), but it didn't help me much. Yeah... A tad faster, but still mind-numbingly painful to type on a keyboard designed for the fingers of 8-year old girls. I have big thumbs and they cover everything so I can't see what I'm trying to hit.

I wish that phones would allow the use of a stylus. That would solve my problem better.
 -Renegade (September 25, 2011, 08:20 PM)
--- End quote ---
Technologies like Swype are meant to be used with the forefinger or a stylus. On a tablet form factor or even in landscape on many phones, finger size shouldn't be an issue.

--- End quote ---

Resistive screens inherently support both stylus and finger. These days, the much more common capacitive screens need a special stylus, but those are readily available
-Eóin (September 25, 2011, 09:31 PM)
--- End quote ---

Unfortunately they don't really fit very well into the non-existent stylus port...-Renegade (September 25, 2011, 10:20 PM)
--- End quote ---
Many commercial styluses, such as this one at Amazon for $10, clip into the audio port. Not as good as a dedicated slot, but still a step in the right direction. This stylus at Amazon for $10 seems to work a little better but does not have the audio port clip, though it can accomodate a lanyard.

The Palm writing recognition was brilliant. It was extremely fast. Much faster than typing on a virtual keyboard. I WISH that some of the mobile OS vendors would bring it back.
-Renegade (September 26, 2011, 07:53 AM)
--- End quote ---
It's called Graffiti and is available on Androids. I love Graffiti, but Swype is much faster.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version