ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Couldn't be more disappointed in Windows 8 :(

<< < (4/11) > >>

Renegade:
Google has some SR/STT for their search engine:

Couldn't be more disappointed in Windows 8 :(

It's limited, but for short, focused speech, it works ok.

If Metro has decent STT built in with an API for it, that would rock. Most mobile OSes have some kind of STT in them, so I'll be disappointed if Metro doesn't... Does anyone know?

Carol Haynes:
I would effectively turn every open plan office into a call centre! I amnot sure everyone would be happy with that (outside the cheaper markets in SE Asia)

Stoic Joker:
Except that it drives everyone else nuts
-Carol Haynes (September 23, 2011, 09:54 AM)
--- End quote ---

That's a social issue, and those rules change in different places. Still, I don't think that it will prevent anyone from doing using their mobile devices with voice when it is finally "there". People do it now anyways. Let's face it -- nobody cares about anyone else, and being demure or polite is so last millennium. :)-Renegade (September 23, 2011, 10:06 AM)
--- End quote ---

I'm with Carol on this one. Social Issue (Meh...) no. Educational issue ... definitely getting warmer.

Lets take two people talking in a crowd. They will typically speak just and only loud enough to be heard by the other person. Now put one of these people on a cell phone.... And suddenly they are seized with the need to inhale deeply so the can bellow into the phone loud enough to be heard in the next god damn county. Why? Because they're to freaking stupid to realize that one of the phones most basic functions is to amplify the speakers voice so it can be heard.

I sometimes get calls from one of these people, and no matter how far I turn down the volume. I can't make out what they're saying because the (their) phone is distorting so badly from their inanely loud choice of speaking voices.

Or to put it in nice short words: Use you're indoor voice when on the phone ... it isn't designed to be screamed through, and you're not up in a tree trying to be heard on the other side of a fucking jungle..

This behavior isn't rude ... It's retarded.

daddydave:
I would effectively turn every open plan office into a call centre! I amnot sure everyone would be happy with that (outside the cheaper markets in SE Asia)
-Carol Haynes (September 23, 2011, 10:55 AM)
--- End quote ---

It's time to dust off John Dvorak's old joke from the 80's about going into a room of voice commanded computers and saying loudly "Format hard disk!"

Stoic Joker:
-Carol Haynes (September 23, 2011, 10:55 AM)
--- End quote ---

It's time to dust off John Dvorak's old joke from the 80's about going into a room of voice commanded computers and saying loudly "Format hard disk!"-daddydave (September 23, 2011, 02:14 PM)
--- End quote ---

;D  :Thmbsup:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version