ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Couldn't be more disappointed in Windows 8 :(

<< < (3/11) > >>

mahesh2k:
Yeah. Speech recognition is one hell of privacy breaker. Difference between "typing pron keyword" and shouting "pron", says it all.  ;D

Renegade:
Things will change when STT (speech recognition) becomes viable/real.
-Renegade (September 22, 2011, 05:56 AM)
--- End quote ---

Not likely. The problem with speech recognition is not that it doesn't work well enough, but that it is not appropriate as an input method in the vast majority of situations where a user needs to interact with a computer.

Think about a room full of people talking on their cell phones and then think about a room full of people talking to their computers.

-xtabber (September 22, 2011, 10:12 PM)
--- End quote ---

I guarantee that it will change the game. The "noisy room" or "voice in a room" problem was solved a few years ago, so now the only thing there is patent licensing, which as I alluded to above or before, is a large part of the problem. I don't have a reference though. I read about it a while back in one of the audio/DSP newsletters I subscribe to or something like that. However, for a similar technology, check out Melodyne as it has note and instrument separation.

I'll have to disagree about speech recognition at the moment: speech recognition doesn't work well enough right now, which is again part of the problem. Listen to what Adam Smith has to say on the topic in the interview I linked to above.

Yeah. Speech recognition is one hell of privacy breaker. Difference between "typing pron keyword" and shouting "pron", says it all.  ;D
-mahesh2k (September 22, 2011, 10:43 PM)
--- End quote ---

Hahhahaha~! ;D

Well, if you want to surf pron in public... I suppose.

But how much quicker would it be to consume information on your phone if you could go from inside of one application to another, e.g. "quit surf the register site search apple patent lawsuit go". That's a lot faster than fumbling around like you need to now.

SR/STT will change the game when it become practical. We're a few years out at a minimum though.

Renegade:
The problem with speech recognition is not that it doesn't work well enough, but that it is not appropriate as an input method in the vast majority of situations where a user needs to interact with a computer.
-xtabber (September 22, 2011, 10:12 PM)
--- End quote ---

Thinking again, if by that you mean it's "not appropriate in public" as some sort of "manners" thing, and not the technical aspect, I still think that it will fly.

After all, what's the difference between talking ON the phone and talking TO the phone?

So, if you can get away talking on the phone, there's no difference. e.g. In some places it is against local by-laws to talk on the phone, like in some subways/metros/undergrounds.

Carol Haynes:
So, if you can get away talking on the phone, there's no difference. e.g. In some places it is against local by-laws to talk on the phone, like in some subways/metros/undergrounds.
-Renegade (September 23, 2011, 12:10 AM)
--- End quote ---

Except that it drives everyone else nuts - if it becomes endemic in offices there will be a huge medical bill from the violence and nervous breakdowns!

I'll be first in line for the jacket - nothing drives me off using the train than the incessant yabbering of rubbish on mobile phones for the entire journey. Unless it is me using the phone, of course.

If people think road rage has got bad wait until you see the reaction to office rage caused by speech interfaces in open plan office spaces!

Renegade:
Except that it drives everyone else nuts
-Carol Haynes (September 23, 2011, 09:54 AM)
--- End quote ---

That's a social issue, and those rules change in different places. Still, I don't think that it will prevent anyone from doing using their mobile devices with voice when it is finally "there". People do it now anyways. Let's face it -- nobody cares about anyone else, and being demure or polite is so last millennium. :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version