ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Couldn't be more disappointed in Windows 8 :(

<< < (6/11) > >>

Renegade:
Android has an app for DNS(dragon naturally speaking) so it is taking off already. There is also an app for google search with voice on android. So slowly but surely it is taking up. My point is that - few years back in my early twenties i used to do some searches via typing keyword, i can comfortably do the same in future ( for ahm) at home for obvious reasons not using speech recognition. But the point is, i can't imagine future generation holding the same conservative thoughts like me. Unless i do some fundamental brainwashing, there is no way they're going to pick those conservative thoughts and feel awkward for the same. (Hmm, current teen generation liking lady gaga and Justin bieber says it all about our doomsday).They may do weird actions while using the paper displays or holograms in future or shout some swear words to program their tablets and mobiles to execute some of their tasks.
-mahesh2k (September 24, 2011, 05:25 AM)
--- End quote ---

Hmmm... You got me thinking... Would it be better if your computer could read lips? No noise.

I've actually got 4 mics on my desk here at home... So, SR/STT would really make my life somewhat easier for some things.

But with 2 webcams as well, reading lips would be, well, nah. Just easier for me to speak. But I can see a use for it. Like of like "hands free gestures".

Shades:
I just saw a video (1 hour and 49 minutes of it!) from the latest keynotes convention of Microsoft. I have to be honest that it was not that much of a drag. But what caught my interest was Windows 8 Server, that one will take virtualization to a whole new and much improved level.

Also, the possibilities shown with Visual Studio 2010 in that video is to be very interesting for the developers here at DC (amongst others it rendered 3D!).

mahesh2k:
Android has an app for DNS(dragon naturally speaking) so it is taking off already. There is also an app for google search with voice on android. So slowly but surely it is taking up. My point is that - few years back in my early twenties i used to do some searches via typing keyword, i can comfortably do the same in future ( for ahm) at home for obvious reasons not using speech recognition. But the point is, i can't imagine future generation holding the same conservative thoughts like me. Unless i do some fundamental brainwashing, there is no way they're going to pick those conservative thoughts and feel awkward for the same. (Hmm, current teen generation liking lady gaga and Justin bieber says it all about our doomsday).They may do weird actions while using the paper displays or holograms in future or shout some swear words to program their tablets and mobiles to execute some of their tasks. -mahesh2k (September 24, 2011, 05:25 AM)
--- End quote ---
Hmmm... You got me thinking... Would it be better if your computer could read lips? No noise. 've actually got 4 mics on my desk here at home... So, SR/STT would really make my life somewhat easier for some things. But with 2 webcams as well, reading lips would be, well, nah. Just easier for me to speak. But I can see a use for it. Like of like "hands free gestures".
-Renegade (September 24, 2011, 07:09 AM)
--- End quote ---
I think "leap reading" and "eye ball tracking" is definitely a one good research area as it'll help disabled people to use technology for communication and getting things done. In fact we can make them more independent on simple tasks like ATM withdrawals etc. So these two areas are def worth to look at. As for "speech", blind people are using it for now to effectively use computers. So this technology is definitely has it's pros that surpasses minor cons.

Now what's in it for developers ? I mean we're talking about how upcoming technology on this platform is going to help non-developers. But as developer i think i would like to see if some of our tasks are minimized in VS or any other MS dependent technology.

Renegade:
So this technology is definitely has it's pros that surpasses minor cons.
-mahesh2k (September 24, 2011, 09:01 AM)
--- End quote ---

+1 there!

Now what's in it for developers ? I mean we're talking about how upcoming technology on this platform is going to help non-developers. But as developer i think i would like to see if some of our tasks are minimized in VS or any other MS dependent technology.
-mahesh2k (September 24, 2011, 09:01 AM)
--- End quote ---

If MS takes cues from any of the other vendors, they'll have SR/STT built into Metro with APIs for them. (And in .NET and not just C/C++ only APIs.)

I'm crossing my fingers... I just hope that we don't end up with the sucky closed APIs that some mobile OS vendors have... :( To some degree it's ok as it affords protection for users, but where it doesn't protect the user, I don't want shielded APIs.

tranglos:
Android has an app for DNS(dragon naturally speaking) so it is taking off already. -mahesh2k (September 24, 2011, 05:25 AM)
--- End quote ---

Haven't used Dragon, but the stock voice recognition on Android phones is useless. English is my second language, and my accent is not exactly native (UK or US), but I can get close when I try. Android doesn't understand a single word I say in English, and believe me, I don't have any speech impediments. When I switch to Polish (my native tongue), it understands every third word or so. My wife has a better diction than me, and when she speaks in Polish to the phone, it can't recognize a single word.

Then there are passwords. Are we going to be speaking them aloud too? Good going!

Then there are professions and places where silence (or near silence) is pretty much a requirement for doing any useful work. Any profession and any workplace where thinking is an important component of what you do. (Stockbrokers need not apply!)

I used to have an elderly neighbor, living in an apartment below mine, who would complain every so often because my keyboard clicking was keeping him awake (I was sitting on my ass, typing in complete silence). Forget about voice!

Forget about neighbors, too. It's midnight here,  my wife's asleep, while I'll be sitting here a few more hours. She's in the next room, but if I spoke commands, I'd wake her. And you don't want to be near my wife when her sleep is disturbed :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version