ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Why 2012 may finally be The Year of the Linux Desktop (courtesy of Microsoft)

<< < (7/8) > >>

Stoic Joker:
All I need an OS for as an end user is to get me to the cloud, to my browser, and from there I can do the rest in HTML5 and beyond. Adobe is still building 20th century apps.-zridling (September 23, 2011, 02:35 PM)
--- End quote ---

You should bite your tung for that. Cloud schmoud, we don't want no stinking cloud(s). I'll not be sticking my data balloon up into no cloud. 'Cause I don't want the first stiff breeze to whip that sucker over the horizon and away.

Sure, it'll be perfectly secure (Ha!) in 10 or 20 years ... But until then it'll be a friggin train wreck of horror stories about where ones data isn't anymore. Remember the good ol' days when you could get your data back in a month or so for $3,000 - $5,000? Now progress has made the cost ($0) irrelevant ... because your data is just flat gone. Unless you happen to be in a Russian coffee shop (where it's being sold to the highest bidder).

40hz:
All I need an OS for as an end user is to get me to the cloud, to my browser, and from there I can do the rest in HTML5 and beyond.
-zridling (September 23, 2011, 02:35 PM)
--- End quote ---

All I need from an OS is for it to stop shoving the cloud in my face every two minutes, or require a web connection in order to get my work done.

I have no use for the cloud beyond having it provide secondary offsite backup space for non-secure data and possibly some project oriented team sharing functions.

For everything else, I want the cloud to stay the hell out of my home, my workplace, and off my desktop.

If that's being a Luddite, so be it. I can live with that.  :Thmbsup:

But I can't help but find it interesting that so many people are so seduced by all the web 2.0 bells & whistles that they're willing to go back to the days of being a glorified terminal client on a mainframe.

How 20th century is that?  :P

superboyac:
All I need an OS for as an end user is to get me to the cloud, to my browser, and from there I can do the rest in HTML5 and beyond.
--- End quote ---

All I need from an OS is for it to stop shoving the cloud in my face every two minutes, or require a web connection in order to get my work done.

I have no use for the cloud beyond having it provide secondary offsite backup space for non-secure data and possibly some project oriented team sharing functions.
-40hz (September 23, 2011, 03:15 PM)
--- End quote ---
Amen brotha!!!

Stoic Joker:
--- End quote ---

-40hz (September 23, 2011, 03:15 PM)
--- End quote ---
Amen brotha!!!
-superboyac (September 23, 2011, 04:10 PM)
--- End quote ---

Seconded. ;)

zridling:
Look around folks: software lost. A very few mega-corporations control your computing, even your access to data and information. Facebook, Google, Microsoft, Apple, AT&T, Nokia, etc. Uninstall your browsers and play those games by yourselves and then see how much fun "computing" is.

-- You buy Apple, you're buying all in.
-- You buy Microsoft, you're buying lock-in, and with Win8, that too, means you're all in for Redmond.
-- Linux gives you a few choices, but given that most people use their computer to access and share information, the OS is a forgotten layer (as it should be).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version