topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 6:48 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Linux game devs pirate their own game  (Read 6546 times)

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Linux game devs pirate their own game
« on: September 21, 2011, 03:16 AM »
Linux game devs upload their own game to Pirate Bay; Strangely, it increases sales.
To counter the piracy problem, Tiny Build Games who released NTTE a few days back, uploaded their own game on Pirate Bay. But there is a difference between this version and the original game that you can buy from the game website...

from somewhere, I forget exactly...

KynloStephen66515

• Animated Giffer in Chief
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Linux game devs pirate their own game
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2011, 05:31 AM »
Ha, that is pure awesome!

I have found myself turning to torrents recently due to my DVD Drive exploding.  Not sure on the legality of Buying a physical copy of a game, and then torrenting it so you don't need to use the DVD to install play...but I am beyond the point of caring...

Most of the time, I would think that people simply pirate for 2 reasons:

• 1. Sheer lack of money and the game they really want, they simply cannot afford
• 2. Because nobody can really get a feel for a game in a crappy little demo (Which generally contain unique content/missions NOT found in the actual game...

When the person is doing it for Reason #1, they are not likely to ever buy an official copy (But things can change)

People who do it for the second reason are far more likely to purchase a game they like.

DRM also drive the piracy market, so the "Anti-Piracy" methods used by big games companies are actually more like a "F##k you hackers", which Hackers then see as a bigger challenge...crack the game...and torrent it even quicker than they would have otherwise done.

(Just my 2 cents!)

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2011, 05:48 AM »
It was a nice move. Unfortunately, there's a large gimmick aspect to it. So I don't know if it's something that would net a similar benefit long term or with repeated use.

Not that it matters...

I think it will only be a short time before most nations adopt legislation similar to Korea's "real name verification" anti-anonymity laws. So far, the UK, France, Australia, and the US have legislation pending that would basically require a license to access and use the Internet.

And with the huge amount of media and entertainment industry lobby money behind the push, (and several government security agencies jockeying for ever bigger roles and budgets) it will only be a matter of time.
 :(

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2011, 07:18 AM »
I think it will only be a short time before most nations adopt legislation similar to Korea's "real name verification" anti-anonymity laws. So far, the UK, France, Australia, and the US have legislation pending that would basically require a license to access and use the Internet.

And with the huge amount of media and entertainment industry lobby money behind the push, (and several government security agencies jockeying for ever bigger roles and budgets) it will only be a matter of time.

Oh goodie, now identity theft has a whole new incentive ... and a wide open consumer level market. Jesus these people are freaking stupid.

Jimdoria

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2011, 03:22 PM »
@40Hz: This is the most depressing thing I've read in weeks. And it's been a rough couple of weeks...

Fortunately, as the little green guy said, always in motion is the future...
- Jimdoria ~@>@

There are two kinds of people in the world: Those who divide everybody into two kinds of people, and those who don't.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2011, 03:33 PM »
@40Hz: This is the most depressing thing I've read in weeks. And it's been a rough couple of weeks...

Fortunately, as the little green guy said, always in motion is the future...

@Jimdora - sorry for that. It has been a rough few weeks for me too so I'm sorry to have added to your grief.

If it's any consolation, I'm as bummed as you probably are about the direction Internet access and legislation is going.

Suggestion: in the movie Hogfather a nanny asks her frightened little children what she said to do about things that scared them. The little children say "Don't be frightened. Get angry."

That's pretty good advice whenever dealing with people who are attempting a power grab.  :Thmbsup:

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2011, 03:41 PM »
Suggestion: in the movie Hogfather a nanny asks her frightened little children what she said to do about things that scared them. The little children say "Don't be frightened. Get angry."

I Loved That Movie ... Brilliant Twist on Christmas it was indeed.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2011, 05:49 PM »

I Loved That Movie ... Brilliant Twist on Christmas it was indeed.

hogfather.jpgLinux game devs pirate their own game

+1 x 10! :)

Particularly brilliant were the performances of: Marc Warren as Mr. Teatime, the lovely Michelle Dockery as Susan the nanny (and adopted granddaughter of DEATH), and David Warner as Lord Downey, head of the Assassins Guild.

Watch it with someone you love this Christmas.

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2011, 03:07 AM »
So... has anyone played the Pirates Edition?

Apparently, it's free for the taking...  ;D