topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 2:43 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Start Menu X now in beta  (Read 10291 times)

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Start Menu X now in beta
« on: September 18, 2011, 01:25 PM »
Dennis Nazarenko always has had some problems with choosing just the right name for his fine start menu programs. XP Start Menu, Vista Start Menu, etcetera - how do I recommend a program named "Vista...", to Win 7 users? Now he may (or may not, time will show) have a better name for his newest program (still in beta):  Start Menu X. I am not sure yet this will be the final name.

For beta testers only: http://startmenux.idea.informer.com/

Dear Users, I am happy to present a Beta version of the program, which has been rewritten from scratch and features many advantages and good upgrade potential. Therefore it will be easier for me to fulfill your requests.

What´s new:
- A new graphic engine will help to easily edit skins
- Renewed mechanisms of working with files
- 64 bit support
- etc.
FINAL RELEASE is due in the end of November; meanwhile I would like to present the Beta version:
http://www.startmenu...X_Setup_4_0_beta.exe

Caution!!! The Beta version features a skin, designed for Windows with Aero. It may not look good on other platforms.

Note for participants of beta-testing :

1.  This Beta version does not have all functionality of the previous version. There are two reasons for it.
Firstly, I was concerned about quality and it took more time than I had planned.
Secondly, some of the previous version´s features had never been used so I decided to not waste time developing them.

2.  Please help me to identify features with higher priority.
To do it, install the program and start using it. Then add your requests regarding desired features or vote for the existing ones on the following page:
http://startmenux.idea.informer.com/

3.  If you come across errors, please add them on the above page or email them to me.

Thank you for your support and feedback. I will do my best to make sure you are happy.

--
Best regards, Dennis Nazarenko
http://www.ordinarysoft.com
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 11:59 AM by Curt »

cyberdiva

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Start Menu X now in beta
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2011, 03:35 PM »
Curt, you're right that Dennis has just announced a new beta version of his Start Menu X program, but I think he changed the name from Vista Start Menu to Start Menu 7 well over a year ago. 

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2011, 05:19 PM »
-he is offering both (identical) versions.

http://www.ordinarysoft.com/

cyberdiva

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2011, 08:22 PM »
-he is offering both (identical) versions.
http://www.ordinarysoft.com/
Hmmm....when Dennis wrote some time ago to announce Start Menu 7, I was under the impression that he was primarily changing the name from the rather confusingly-named Vista Start Menu and perhaps adding a few features.  IIRC, I replaced Vista Start Menu with Start Menu 7 and saw very little difference.  I'm thus surprised to see from the link you've posted that he's continuing to list both versions, as well as some others. 

I might add that I found Vista Start Menu/Start Menu 7 very useful on my old Windows XP computer, which had well over 200 programs.  Dennis's Start Menu made them much easier and quicker to find than they had been with the built-in Windows "All Programs" listing.  However, I'm trying to be much more selective about adding programs to my relatively new Windows 7 computer, and so I haven't found as much need for Dennis's Start Menu.  Thus, though I still recommend it, I haven't put it on my new computer.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2011, 01:41 AM »
I have a key for his various versions, Classic, Tidy, XP, Vista/Seven, but am not using any of them. True Launch Bar is taking care of my daily "Start > all programs" needs, and I also wanted to use as little CPU & Memory as possible, so I stick to Vista's standard. I go there maybe once a day.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 11:57 AM by Curt »

cyberdiva

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2011, 08:21 AM »
True Launch Bar is taking care of my daily "Start > all programs" needs, and I also wanted to use as little CPU & Memory as possible, so I stick to Vista's standard. I go there maybe once a day.
Yes, I too am concerned about keeping my new computer relatively lean, and I've found that a launcher--in my case, mouser's LaunchBar Commander--satisfies my need to access most programs.  That was not true on my old computer, since I had managed to accumulate so many programs.  I wasn't willing to uninstall them, but I didn't want to clutter LaunchBar Commander with all of them.  Thus, Start Menu 7 was extremely useful.

LiquidGravity

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2011, 05:49 PM »
I was looking around for a better start menu for Windows 7 a while ago and landed on the FREE and open source Classic Shell. For those interested you can also read the Author's explanation of code.