ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

HOWTO track down a Fake Invoice con-artist: A Story in 4 Parts and counting

(1/2) > >>

mouser:
From BoingBoing via MetaFilter comes this 4 part story on how one businessman with a background in investigations got mad at a con artist scammer that sent him a fake invoice:

I mentioned yesterday that my firm received what I believe to be a fraudulent pseudo-invoice for services not rendered. It appeared to be a variation on the classic toner scam, discussed here.

For some reason, this one seriously pisses me off. Maybe its because the fraud is so blatant. Maybe it’s because the weasel-worded disclaimer designed to give them a defense to fraud claims is so perfunctory and lame. Maybe it’s because after I sent an email to the scammer’s lawyer, the scammer himself called me and tried to run a con on me. Like I’m a fucking rube.

So. I’ve decided to dedicate some time and money to investigating this scam and the people and companies responsible for it. I’ve also decided to write about the investigation, and use it as an opportunity to discuss con man culture and how anyone with an internet connection, a few bucks, and some time can investigate an attempted scam — or, preferably, conduct due diligence on a suspected scammer before they can even try to con you.

--- End quote ---

http://www.popehat.com/2011/09/10/anatomy-of-a-scam-investigation-chapter-one/

Note: The series isn't complete yet, so additional parts are forthcoming.

mouser:
I'm only half way through, but one really nice thing about this write up is that the author is trying to teach how to track down scammers while he explains what he did.

sulasno:
I won't waste time tracking scammers but instead bring them on a wild goose chase lol

I would waste their time while having fun

J-Mac:
Nice find mouser. Good read!

Jim

db90h:
The sad thing is that these people have probably made so much money that *if* they are ever actually caught, whatever penalty they receive will make the endeavor worth it. And that's the state of white collar crime prosecution in this country. It is almost as if white collar crime isn't a crime at all. Anything anybody can do to make a buck is fair game. Sick.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version