Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site April 20, 2014, 01:01:47 AM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

The N.A.N.Y. Challenge 2013! Download dozens of custom programs!

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Poll
Question: Have you ever "done" stuff on the Internet while not sober?
Yes. - 5 (29.4%)
No. - 9 (52.9%)
Hold on... you mean I can surf sober? - 3 (17.6%)
Total Voters: 17

Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: The Boozernet...  (Read 5379 times)
Renegade
Charter Member

Tell me something you don't know...

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« on: September 16, 2011, 09:15:39 AM »

Have you ever posted or bought on the Internet anything not sober? (Drunk or high -- doesn't matter.)

I know some here have. Wink

I was just checking email and saw a domain renewal notice for "whatireallythink.info"... Yeah... Must have had a few when I bought that one. tongue

Heck, while I'm only a few in, I managed to buy in-game credit for a game I play... to the tune of $125. But it's a 40% bonus right now... Should I get another couple sets of credit? It's reusable across games when they end...

So, c'mon... come clean... Grin tongue

Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker
EĆ³in
Charter Member

O'Callaghan

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2011, 10:48:58 AM »

I don't tend to post anymore when tipsy, in years past I've probably regretted one or two drunken posts.  Off hand I can't think of any purchases, at least not any I later regretted.

I do however very often play Starcraft 2 online while quite drunk. Needless to say I lose a lot of those games very badly.

Interviewer: Is there anything you don't like?
Bjarne Stroustrup: Marketing hype as a substitute for technical argument. Thoughtless adherence to dogma. Pride in ignorance.
Renegade
Charter Member

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2011, 10:53:52 AM »

I don't tend to post anymore when tipsy, in years past I've probably regretted one or two drunken posts.  Off hand I can't think of any purchases, at least not any I later regretted.

I do however very often play Starcraft 2 online while quite drunk. Needless to say I lose a lot of those games very badly.

Hahahaha~! smiley

I try not to post... but it happens... And I try not to buy anything... but it happens... Over all there, I'm doing pretty well. But still, it's the posts that I hate clicking "Submit" or "Post" on. Pretty rare, but it happens.

For purchases, no regrets so far. For posts... can't say that... Sad

app103
That scary taskbar girl
Global Moderator

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2011, 11:07:53 AM »

I don't often drink. I can count the number of times in the last 15 years on one hand. And I get drunk even less than that. And I have a firm belief that computers and booze don't mix*, so there will be no drunk coding, posting, gaming, online shopping or anything else from me...ever.

*You aren't supposed to operate heavy machinery while under the influence. Since I can't lift it over my head with one hand I have never regarded my computer as being particularly light.

Stoic Joker
Honorary Member

View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2011, 11:13:29 AM »

If it's after 12 on a Saturday...  drinksmiley

Renegade
Charter Member

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2011, 11:30:29 AM »

I don't often drink. I can count the number of times in the last 15 years on one hand. And I get drunk even less than that. And I have a firm belief that computers and booze don't mix*, so there will be no drunk coding, posting, gaming, online shopping or anything else from me...ever.

*You aren't supposed to operate heavy machinery while under the influence. Since I can't lift it over my head with one hand I have never regarded my computer as being particularly light.

Oh good lord... I certainly can't say that.

I coded a CMS way back in 2002 or so where a partner had promised some things, delivered on nothing, and I was held holding the ball. I did nothing but code and sleep for a few weeks at home then. Wake up, start coding, start drinking, keep coding until I had to sleep, rinse, repeat. Half was coded while half lit, and thanks to how I was doing things, there were no "drunk" mistakes or bugs. I did a lot of drunk coding, but it all worked in the end. smiley

I don't do that anymore. That was an extreme circumstance. Thankfully I've not had to deal with that sort of nonsense since. smiley

(I only drink at night, and never during the day. Just one of those things.)

EĆ³in
Charter Member

O'Callaghan

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2011, 11:42:54 AM »

Speaking of drunk coding, I've often found that when a bit tipsey I actually quite enjoy working on a tedious or mundane bit of code which I was otherwise putting off. Only works for a very low level drunk and it's not really something I would set out to do in advance.

Interviewer: Is there anything you don't like?
Bjarne Stroustrup: Marketing hype as a substitute for technical argument. Thoughtless adherence to dogma. Pride in ignorance.
Stoic Joker
Honorary Member

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2011, 12:01:29 PM »

Speaking of drunk coding, I've often found that when a bit tipsey I actually quite enjoy working on a tedious or mundane bit of code which I was otherwise putting off. Only works for a very low level drunk and it's not really something I would set out to do in advance.

+1 Been there many (Um..) a few times myself... Wink
nosh
Supporting Member

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2011, 01:05:51 PM »

This reminded me of a documentary on meth I recently saw. There's a local equivalent in the Far East called Ya ba that's especially popular with guys who do mundane jobs like painting - the guys who did it could go on for days without a break. Guess all stimulants work the same way. I feel like the living dead in the morning till I've had a good shot of coffee.

Drunk posting - sure, why not?  cheesy

40hz
Supporting Member

A'Tuin

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2011, 03:47:08 PM »

It's different in the "systems" end of the shark tank.

Anybody who lays hands on a server or network device while loaded up with "Dutch Courage" is either: (a) crazy (b) has a death wish; or, (c) has really really really good Errors & Omissions insurance coverage. Coverage which is about to get significantly more expensive when it next comes up for renewal - assuming your policy provider decides to renew.
 huh Grin

Don't you see? It's turtles all the way down!
wraith808
Supporting Member

"In my dreams, I always do it right."

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2011, 04:03:59 PM »

Everything's better with vodka.  Especially code.  Grin

40hz
Supporting Member

A'Tuin

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2011, 06:42:33 PM »

And I get drunk even less than that. And I have a firm belief that computers and booze don't mix*, so there will be no drunk coding, posting, gaming, online shopping or anything else from me...ever.

Gotta agree with App.

FWIW (and all kidding aside) I can honestly say I never met anybody I liked more with a drink in them than without. Especially if they happened to be female.

But maybe that's just me?  smiley

wraith808
Supporting Member

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2011, 07:18:19 PM »

And I get drunk even less than that. And I have a firm belief that computers and booze don't mix*, so there will be no drunk coding, posting, gaming, online shopping or anything else from me...ever.

Gotta agree with App.

FWIW (and all kidding aside) I can honestly say I never met anybody I liked more with a drink in them than without. Especially if they happened to be female.

But maybe that's just me?  smiley

Psht.  You've not experienced some of the nightmares I have in consulting.  Some of the code drives you to drink.  Not necessarily get drunk... but it does take the edge off...

...or is that you off the edge...

40hz
Supporting Member

A'Tuin

« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2011, 07:37:54 PM »

Psht.  You've not experienced some of the nightmares I have in consulting.  Some of the code drives you to drink.

ROFLMAO!

That's probably why, when I reached a career crossroad many years ago, I went down the systems rather than the dev path. Especially after a previous three year foray into code development.
 Grin

wraith808
Supporting Member

« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2011, 10:58:44 PM »

You think I kid... from some production code...

Formatted for C# with the GeSHI Syntax Highlighter [copy or print]
  1. try{
  3. }
  4. catch (Exception ex)
  5. {
  6.    throw ex
  7. }
  8. finally
  9. {
  11. }

mahesh2k
Supporting Member

« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2011, 04:34:13 AM »

Me and my imaginary friends don't drink or get high. But i have this insomnia issue and have no idea what tyler does on the internet when he takes over.  tongue
Stoic Joker
Honorary Member

« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2011, 08:55:02 AM »

Psht.  You've not experienced some of the nightmares I have in consulting.  Some of the code drives you to drink.

ROFLMAO!

That's probably why, when I reached a career crossroad many years ago, I went down the systems rather than the dev path. Especially after a previous three year foray into code development.
 Grin

Given that I (albeit foolishly) straddled the two of them ... I gotta back wraith on this.  And frankly some of the stuff I've seen in systems makes it really hard not to come unwound...without a bracer.

(Highlight from just this week) Production system/doctor's office, using software RAID1. Nobody (No-Body...) in the whole damn place thought to wonder (or even notice) the flashing red text POST Error Message: RAID MIRROR DEGRADED ... In the Past Three Years!!!

Now as luck would have it (or not.) it was just a power cable. But when said power cable was plugged back in. Both drives commenced to assume that they were the now rather obviously badly degraded RAID Mirror. So now it's a 50/50 on which side wins/boots everytime you start the machine. Yeah!

Data Peek-A-Boo.

I need a drink.

cheesy
Renegade
Charter Member

« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2011, 09:33:12 AM »

You think I kid... from some production code...

Formatted for C# with the GeSHI Syntax Highlighter [copy or print]
  1. try{
  3. }
  4. catch (Exception ex)
  5. {
  6.    throw ex
  7. }
  8. finally
  9. {
  11. }

You mean that literally?

But at the moment, I'm on #4, and just smoking in the zone! I'm getting a truckload of coding done! cheesy

wraith808
Supporting Member

« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2011, 10:56:40 AM »

You mean that literally?

Unfortunately, I do.  I ripped it out corrected it, but still...

Lashiec

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2011, 02:57:24 PM »

Not drunk, but if you see me logged in on the IRC channel after 7 AM on a Sunday, chances are the whole night was spent with a beer on hand. So, not drunk, just "happy" cheesy

When actually drunk, my thoughts are all focused on how nice my bed feels Grin
« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 03:11:20 PM by Lashiec » Logged
Tuxman
Supporting Member

OMG not him again!

« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2011, 09:35:58 AM »

I'm never sober when posting here!

I bet when Cheetahs race and one of them cheats, the other one goes "Man, you're such a Cheetah!" and they laugh & eat a zebra or whatever.
- @VeryGrumpyCat
Renegade
Charter Member

« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2011, 10:02:11 AM »

I'm never sober when posting here!

beerchug drinksmiley

Tuxman
Supporting Member

OMG not him again!

« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2011, 10:21:11 AM »

That's why.  tongue

I bet when Cheetahs race and one of them cheats, the other one goes "Man, you're such a Cheetah!" and they laugh & eat a zebra or whatever.
- @VeryGrumpyCat
40hz
Supporting Member

A'Tuin

« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2011, 11:58:38 AM »

Yet another one of several reasons why I seldom go to chat rooms. Suboptimal signal to noise ratio.  Cool

Fred Nerd
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2011, 09:30:30 AM »

Yeah, I just REALLY stuffed up.
Normally I stick to easy stuff after a few drinks, but someone was insisting that I pay an outstanding running account. I wanted to wait until I saw them and use my card, but they insisted, so I transferred it. I put a description of 'that shut you up?' and sent.
Ummmm, accounts are managed by the head boss, who I did NOT want to annoy. Unfortunately I did. A lot. I hope this works out smoother than it was earlier. I promised him a case of beer.
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.067s | Server load: 0.03 ]