ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Is Windows 7 boot management more broken than ever?

<< < (4/6) > >>

cmpm:
@Stoic Joker

So he's got nothing looking for F8 to catch the keystroke.
--- End quote ---

Some keyboards don't recognize the F keys on boot up at all.
I have one that does not, could not even get to safe mode,
till I figured out the keyboard will not see the F keys on bootup.

Not sure if this is the case with that keyboard.
But it happened to me with an HP keyboard,
so I had to hookup another keyboard to get to my boot options.

That's all the help I can offer, the rest is out of my understanding, most of it.

Stoic Joker:
Well that answer looks good on paper, but...-Stoic Joker (September 16, 2011, 06:49 AM)
--- End quote ---

The questions I answered were:
1) what was it for, and
2) how you boot into it.

And I did mention that you had to be able to boot from that partition in order to use it, (in a kind of off-hand way).
-4wd (September 16, 2011, 09:30 AM)
--- End quote ---

Apparently it was a bit to early in the morning for subtlety :)

@Stoic Joker

So he's got nothing looking for F8 to catch the keystroke.
--- End quote ---

Some keyboards don't recognize the F keys on boot up at all.
I have one that does not, could not even get to safe mode,
till I figured out the keyboard will not see the F keys on bootup.-cmpm (September 16, 2011, 09:53 AM)
--- End quote ---

That's not quite the direction I was headed earlier, but... I have run into that isue once or twice myself ... Usually with a multi-media keyboard (which is part of why I hate them). A lot of the MM Keyboards like to toggle the default usage of the F-key row between its intended/proper purpose and a bunch of daffy media shortcuts. This behavior makes the keyboard completely useless unless you can remember which hotkey combo will force the keyboard to go back to acting right.

40hz:
Usually with a multi-media keyboard (which is part of why I hate them). A lot of the MM Keyboards like to toggle the default usage of the F-key row between its intended/proper purpose and a bunch of daffy media shortcuts. This behavior makes the keyboard completely useless unless you can remember which hotkey combo will force the keyboard to go back to acting right.
-Stoic Joker (September 16, 2011, 11:36 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yeppers! :Thmbsup:

But it happened to me with an HP keyboard,
so I had to hookup another keyboard to get to my boot options.
-cmpm (September 16, 2011, 09:53 AM)
--- End quote ---

Which is why we all still keep that P.O.S. cheap-ass (USB 101-key w/puke green PS/2 adapter)  keyboard somebody gave us (and which we wouldn't be caught dead trying to type on) for just such occasions.
 ;D

Shades:
@40hz
The connector is purple, green was for the mouse....damn, just now I gave away my "computer age" away   :P

40hz:
@40hz
The connector is purple, green was for the mouse....damn, just now I gave away my "computer age" away   :P
-Shades (September 16, 2011, 04:14 PM)
--- End quote ---

You're correct. I neglected to look. It is puke purple. ;D (Thx for catching it.  :redface:)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version