topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 11:47 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: schedule emails  (Read 6289 times)

kalos

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
schedule emails
« on: September 14, 2011, 03:12 PM »
hello

I have a list of dates and a specific text.

I want each of these dates, to have an unread incoming email in my Outlook (or Thunderbird, or any other) with that specific text.

However, because I do not want to miss any of these emails on the correct date, I don't want to count of email server (since it may fail), so I need a totally reliable solution.

any idea?

thanks!

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: schedule emails
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2011, 01:33 AM »
Isn't that called a Calendar?

kalos

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2011, 01:08 PM »
I am talking about creating unread incomming emails in my Outlook, not sure what Calendar is, can you explain a bit? thanks

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2011, 01:37 PM »
not sure what Calendar is, can you explain a bit? thanks
Either a calendar or an agenda, popping up your appointments in the correct time on the correct day?

kalos

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2011, 02:31 PM »
not sure what Calendar is, can you explain a bit? thanks
Either a calendar or an agenda, popping up your appointments in the correct time on the correct day?

the problem is that I do not want to check many programs, I only want to check Outlook for all my notifications, reminders, etc

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2011, 02:41 PM »
I only want to check Outlook for all my notifications, reminders, etc
That's exactly what the Calendar or Agenda (not sure what it's called in your language and version of Outlook) does: Remind you of the appointments you have. It does handle repeating appointments very easy, just remember to start up Outlook every time you login to your Windows :)

In the last NANY 2011 there was a project TaskDaddy, that can quickly and easily create Tasks in your Outlook, maybe that's already enough for you?

kalos

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2011, 07:01 PM »
nope, this doesn't seem to do what I want

I want to import a list of dates and times and at these times to automatically:
1) send an email and repeat every two hours for three times
2) display a desktop alert every two hours for three times

it seems so easy, I can't imagine there is no program that can do it, but I can't find any

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2011, 09:34 PM »
Google Calendar, Set Reminders for event, 2/3 of them for email, 2/3 for desktop/pop-up alert (max of 5 total reminders), with different intervals (you can customize). It's not Outlook of course, but it works...

- Oshyan

kalos

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2011, 04:28 AM »
Google Calendar, Set Reminders for event, 2/3 of them for email, 2/3 for desktop/pop-up alert (max of 5 total reminders), with different intervals (you can customize). It's not Outlook of course, but it works...

- Oshyan

very nice, since it works, this is what is needed, but it has a major drawback: it is online and it won't work if I am offline!

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2011, 07:11 AM »
very nice, since it works, this is what is needed, but it has a major drawback: it is online and it won't work if I am offline!

Correct me if I'm wrong but if you want emails while you're offline that kind of implies you either need to run an email server on your machine, (which is pretty simple, I do it on my XP Pro machine - just the supplied MS SMTP Service), or direct inject into your email programs database somehow.

eg.
Set up the SMTP Service under IIS components, this page shows you how to use a DOS commands to set an email for delivery, then just have your email client poll the SMTP Service to receive them.

EDIT: I think I missed out the other half of the equation somewhere there, ie. the POP server.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2011, 07:54 AM by 4wd »

kalos

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2011, 08:50 AM »

Correct me if I'm wrong but if you want emails while you're offline that kind of implies you either need to run an email server on your machine, (which is pretty simple, I do it on my XP Pro machine - just the supplied MS SMTP Service), or direct inject into your email programs database somehow.

1) I mainly refered to desktop notifications while I am offline, and the fact that Google Calendar, since it is an online web service, it won't deliver desktop notifications when I am offline. Is there a work-around for this?

2) As for receiving emails while I am offline, it would be very useful for me to inject unread incoming emails in my Outlook, is there a way for this? The page you posted describes this?

3) Last, if I set Google Calendar to send a desktop notification at Sunday (three of them, at specific hours) and I open my pc at Monday (not only get online at Monday, but actually open my pc on Monday), will I get them on that day instead? ie. Is there a way to automatically transfer them on the next day I open my pc?

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2011, 08:59 AM »
I (that's me, indeed ;)) still fail to understand what an e-mail in your inbox offers over a (simple) repeated reminder of an appointment (Calender/Agenda-item with alarm enabled). If that scheme works for you with Google Calendar, why wouldn't it for your locally installed Outlook? (Unless you meant you have Outlook Express, that doesn't offer an Agenda, instead of the full-blown MS-Office Outlook...)

kalos

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2011, 11:44 AM »
I (that's me, indeed ;)) still fail to understand what an e-mail in your inbox offers over a (simple) repeated reminder of an appointment (Calender/Agenda-item with alarm enabled). If that scheme works for you with Google Calendar, why wouldn't it for your locally installed Outlook? (Unless you meant you have Outlook Express, that doesn't offer an Agenda, instead of the full-blown MS-Office Outlook...)

an unread/flagged email in my outlook inbox is permanent and always draws my attention each (of the numerous) times I check my outlook inbox, while a reminder, even repeated/snoozed, it appears only few times (I mean, I can get reminded about a task, but if next moment the telephone rings, I may forget it)

also, having all my pendings and to-do's in one window, helps me alot, it's more organized, helps me set priorities, etc, and since I receive emails that require actions, it is nicer to have them all gathered together

last, let's say for some reason I miss to see a reminder, eg. outlook crashes, or a window staying on top hides it, etc, while an email in my outlook inbox, is always there

however, I do not want only desktop reminders or only emails, I want both

If that scheme works for you with Google Calendar, why wouldn't it for your locally installed Outlook? (Unless you meant you have Outlook Express, that doesn't offer an Agenda, instead of the full-blown MS-Office Outlook...)

I have full Outlook, not just Outlook Express, but I don't know if I can do this:

I want to import a list of dates and times and at these times to automatically:
1) send an email and repeat every two hours for three times
2) display a desktop alert every two hours for three times

the above data (eg, the dates, the text, the snooze time, the repetition, the email notification, the desktop notification) should be stored in an excel file or something and imported easily

can this be done with Outlook?

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2011, 12:22 PM »
I have done some stuff involving Outlook inbox content manipulation (from a .NET app), like moving messages to other folders etc., and I assume it should be as easy to create new messages.
But what happens (or: do you want to happen) if the message gets marked 'read'; do you manually mark it 'un-read', or do you wait for the next (new) message to appear?

I'm currently working on a different spare-time project, so this would probably end up on the todo list, if I take the challenge.
OTOH, I could turn this into a NANY2012 project, if that timespan is agreeable with you?

Oh, and the .NET/Outlook link would limit it to be an Outlook-only solution, so no Thunderbird or other compatibility.

kalos

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2011, 03:40 PM »
But what happens (or: do you want to happen) if the message gets marked 'read'; do you manually mark it 'un-read', or do you wait for the next (new) message to appear?

I usually flag it or mark it unread

OTOH, I could turn this into a NANY2012 project, if that timespan is agreeable with you?

I will definately keep an eye till then, but I really need a workaround asap, isn't any method to do it, really?

Oh, and the .NET/Outlook link would limit it to be an Outlook-only solution, so no Thunderbird or other compatibility.

no problem, as for me

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2011, 10:53 PM »
Google Calendar now has an offline mode. It may take care of that issue...

- Oshyan