topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 9:05 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Any wordpress coders here available for hire?  (Read 19637 times)

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Any wordpress coders here available for hire?
« on: September 12, 2011, 04:44 PM »
Our business is going to need someone who is familiar with wordpress coding.  We need to pay someone who can make a custom plugin to allow some cool layout options for the website content.  It needs to be a plugin and not a one-time website design because we are programmatically challenged, and need to tweak things and add content using some kind of GUI from the admin control panel.

I would be interested in anyone here, or even if you know of someone.  I am currently writing my design requirements and will sent it to anyone interested.  Thank you.
Design requirements (last modified 9-20-2011)
wordpress-plugin-request.pngAny wordpress coders here available for hire?
(click on the thumbnail to enlarge the image, or download it to zoom in on the details if necessary.  A pdf is attached as well.)
« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 03:50 PM by superboyac, Reason: modifed design requirements »

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
Re: Any wordpress coders here available for hire?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2011, 05:12 AM »
Are you able to post any further details?
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2011, 09:40 AM »
Are you able to post any further details?
I'm working on it.  I have a detailed list of requirements, and I'll post it soon.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2011, 03:10 PM »
I've added the requirements to the top post.  I'll modify them as things become more clear.

allen

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2011, 03:22 PM »
I'm pretty sure you could do all this using the advanced custom fields plugin, and a custom theme.

Veign

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Veign - Where design meets development
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2011, 03:24 PM »
Few points:
- Looking at your spec you're more inline with a custom Theme then you are with a Plugin.  Plugin is to modify existing functionality that works into a theme, a custom theme is what changes the look and feel of the website.
- Shortcodes and functions can be easily incorporated in from a Theme install
- Page Templates are also available through a Theme (see how the twnetyeleven Theme works)
- File Upload: You should use the Media Manager that comes with Wordpress.  I wouldn't recommending disconnecting any part from Wordpress as it would make interacting, from a code standpoint, more difficult
- Its very important when developing in Wordpress to do it the 'Wordpress' way as it gives way more flexibility to add functionality with existing plugins
- CSS modification is already available in Wordpress for Themes (another reason to use a custom Theme)

I would like to help but fear that budget would be an issue.  With all the customizations and work I would expect a project like this to be in the $3.5K - $7.5K range (rough ballpark).  What is your budget (a range is fine)?

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2011, 03:30 PM »
Few points:
- Looking at your spec you're more inline with a custom Theme then you are with a Plugin.  Plugin is to modify existing functionality that works into a theme, a custom theme is what changes the look and feel of the website.
- Shortcodes and functions can be easily incorporated in from a Theme install
- Page Templates are also available through a Theme (see how the twnetyeleven Theme works)
- File Upload: You should use the Media Manager that comes with Wordpress.  I wouldn't recommending disconnecting any part from Wordpress as it would make interacting, from a code standpoint, more difficult
- Its very important when developing in Wordpress to do it the 'Wordpress' way as it gives way more flexibility to add functionality with existing plugins
- CSS modification is already available in Wordpress for Themes (another reason to use a custom Theme)

I would like to help but fear that budget would be an issue.  With all the customizations and work I would expect a project like this to be in the $3.5K - $7.5K range (rough ballpark).  What is your budget (a range is fine)?
Yeah, that's definitely outside our range.  I don't know what our budget is right now.  It's something we'll be able to answer after we get an idea of what to expect.  I was hoping it wouldn't be that much.

Veign

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2011, 03:40 PM »
The problem when getting something done cheaply is you end up with a house cards built by someone who truly doesn't understand Wordpress Development.  I have no doubt you'll find cheaper but don't believe you'll find a knowledgeable Wordpress developer for cheaper.  Only hope is to find someone looking to build a portfolio who would take the project at a greatly reduced price.

What I've learned with web development is a little more up front saves you 10 fold down the road with updates and maintenance.

An option, if you want to do it yourself, is to find a theme released under GPL that gets you close and then just tweak it to meet your spec - just make sure it's Wordpress 3.0 compliant.  Hire someone for a 1-2 hour review of the code to make sure it was developed correctly.  This may be an option for getting what you need for a greatly reduced price.

Good luck.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2011, 03:43 PM »
- Looking at your spec you're more inline with a custom Theme then you are with a Plugin.  Plugin is to modify existing functionality that works into a theme, a custom theme is what changes the look and feel of the website.
I would prefer a plugin because then I can convert any page, no matter what theme I'm using, to do the thing I described.  Wouldn't that be a desirable thing?  It's something I would really put to use on multiple websites and pages.  Please let me know if I'm overlooking something.

- File Upload: You should use the Media Manager that comes with Wordpress.  I wouldn't recommending disconnecting any part from Wordpress as it would make interacting, from a code standpoint, more difficult
This is something I do intentionally.  I upload all my files into a simple folder.  It's very easy for me.  I can use an ftp server and just drop files in.  I strongly prefer it this way.  I don't really want to upload through the browser, and click around whatever internal galleries wordpress does in the admin section.  This is one area where I am really old school: I like having direct access to my files and folders...it means I have ultimate control.  I don't feel this should make coding any more difficult because all the plugins and stuff I've done so far work very easily with the folder addresses that I use to link to whatever I need.  When it comes to the posts and pages, I don't like the gui.  I prefer to do everything and see all the codes and shortcodes.  The most I would ask for is a button where some parameters are entered, and it spits out the shortcode onto the post.  But again, if I'm overlooking something please let me know.  I struggle sometimes with understanding the usage of page templates vs. plugins vs widgets.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 03:50 PM by superboyac »

Veign

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2011, 06:52 PM »
- Looking at your spec you're more inline with a custom Theme then you are with a Plugin.  Plugin is to modify existing functionality that works into a theme, a custom theme is what changes the look and feel of the website.
I would prefer a plugin because then I can convert any page, no matter what theme I'm using, to do the thing I described.  Wouldn't that be a desirable thing?  It's something I would really put to use on multiple websites and pages.  Please let me know if I'm overlooking something.

Except you're asking the plugin to style the page for you or am I missing something.  Your example built the entire page (removed menus, changed header/footer).  I guess it boils down to exactly what do you need.  Themes can do most everything a plugin can do and provide the look and feel for a site.

- File Upload: You should use the Media Manager that comes with Wordpress.  I wouldn't recommending disconnecting any part from Wordpress as it would make interacting, from a code standpoint, more difficult
This is something I do intentionally.  I upload all my files into a simple folder.  It's very easy for me.  I can use an ftp server and just drop files in.  I strongly prefer it this way.  I don't really want to upload through the browser, and click around whatever internal galleries wordpress does in the admin section.  This is one area where I am really old school: I like having direct access to my files and folders...it means I have ultimate control.  I don't feel this should make coding any more difficult because all the plugins and stuff I've done so far work very easily with the folder addresses that I use to link to whatever I need.  When it comes to the posts and pages, I don't like the gui.  I prefer to do everything and see all the codes and shortcodes.  The most I would ask for is a button where some parameters are entered, and it spits out the shortcode onto the post.  But again, if I'm overlooking something please let me know.  I struggle sometimes with understanding the usage of page templates vs. plugins vs widgets.

The reason for using the Media Manager is the file information is stored in the Wordpress database and available for use by standard Wordpress methods to interact with the files.  I guess you could build a plugin to do bulk uploads but not really sure why you would want that - Media Manager supports bulk uploads.  FTP makes it available via the file system but then Wordpress has no knowledge of the files.

Not sure you need Widgets to start.  For simplicity think of a Widget as a self-contained block of rendered information pulled from some data source.  Widgets can be placed within defined areas that are pre-established within a theme - typically sidebars, header or footer areas.

You need to drop the old-school way and get used to that you're building something on an existing framework.  Fight the framework and you create a nightmare for yourself.  Work with the Wordpress ways and things are much more flexible.  With a low budget you should develop what Wordpress doesn't provide.  Go back later and improve standard functionality when the budget is there.  Most, if not all, Wordpress developers would want to create something that works with the Wordpress best practices and not go old-school  :)

Just my opinion, others may disagree.

fwiw: I've developed a plugin that supports widgets, shortcodes, custom post types, custom settings and more.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 09:02 AM by Veign »

steeladept

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2011, 06:58 PM »
I really can't add anything to this discussion from a Wordpress standpoint as I don't really know anything about it, but I would ask you the question:

With all the Wordpress parts you want stripped out, what value do you see in Wordpress that you are actually trying to capture?  Maybe this would be a better way to attack it?

Just food for thought....

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2011, 08:23 PM »
The main part of your requirements are under the 'GUI' heading, I would not recommend tackling GUI with plugins. Custom theme and custom functions.php would be my 2cents.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2011, 11:04 PM »
With all the Wordpress parts you want stripped out, what value do you see in Wordpress that you are actually trying to capture?  Maybe this would be a better way to attack it?

I found myself here too.

I'm insistent on having the (faithful standby) "Old School" direct FTP access as well. But I just did a WordPress (with shopping cart) project for the office, and I gotta say; the built-in file upload thing is mighty handy when you get used to it.

Given the tendency of the WP plug-ins to need things where they want them (as opposed to where you want to put them). The file uploader saved me a good bit of time ... and that's even when developing with the production server on the local LAN. Poking through the file system isn't always that much fun ... Ya know? :)

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2011, 10:21 AM »
Thanks for the advice, guys.  I need to rethink all of this, then.  I do want to keep the wordpress framework.  That's probably a must.  My other restriction is that I just don't have much money to spend on it.  That's why if it's something relatively easy or something I can pick up in a week, I'd just do it myself.  But I don't know how hard or easy it is right now.  But essentially, I just want it to look like dumbdumb. 

Veign

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2011, 10:50 AM »
Cheap and done right never go hand-in-hand...

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2011, 10:58 AM »

Agreed.  You can have it:

• Good
  • Fast
  • Cheap

Pick any two.   :P

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2011, 10:59 AM »

Agreed.  You can have it:

• Good
  • Fast
  • Cheap

Pick any two.   :P

Good and cheap?  :o

:P

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2011, 11:02 AM »

Won't be done quickly and other, paying, projects would take precendence.  You know?   :D

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2011, 11:07 AM »

Won't be done quickly and other, paying, projects would take precendence.  You know?   :D

Good point. This is almost like the rock paper scissors game  ;D

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2011, 03:51 PM »
I've modified my design requirements in the first post.

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2011, 04:01 PM »
FWIW, I think the "hide-stuff-until-mouseover" is a terrible UI design idea.   :down:

Veign

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2011, 04:17 PM »
The requirement of "this plugin must convert any page or post into this kind of layout" doesn't make sense as a post is a unit of data which is rendered within a theme.  Posts can, as of Wordpress 3.0, be of any type of structured data (blog post, coupons, restaurant menus and such).  The reason it doesn't matter is because the Wordpress framework separates all the functionality of a blog.  I can install any compliant theme and blog posts show as there supposed to within the environment that I style.

Your requirement just couldn't happen.  You can have:
- A custom theme to create the site you want with the functionality you want (includes custom functions to add the functionality you are looking for)
- A plugin to add video type posts within an existing theme.  Theme would control the overall look but you can get the content within the post type styled however you want (reference the special 'gallery' shortcode from Wordpress)
- A combination of both that gets you the site you want and a plugin that can provide some general styling to your special 'media' post types.  Stressing that the plugin can't force the entire theme to change as this would be against, way against, best practices and you'll be hard press to find a developer to take it on (at least without huge cost).

Based on your update I just don't think Wordpress is the environment for you.  Wordpress has Wordpress ways and if you're not willing to work within them then you'll find this project to be very expensive and built on a house of cards that's sure to fail with updates to Wordpress core.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2011, 05:16 PM »
FWIW, I think the "hide-stuff-until-mouseover" is a terrible UI design idea.   :down:

+1 Peek-A-Boo is only fun those 5 and under.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2011, 05:17 PM »
You bring up some interesting points, Veign.  I'd love to try another way of doing this, but keep in mind that it is very important that I am familiar with Wordpress.  My partner is also familiar with it, and he knows even less about computers and programming than I do.

i don't want a custom website, because I want to have some kind of gui type backend that I can mess around with.  I don't want to get into php code, or java, or stuff like that.  I can handle css and html to style things, but that's it.  So what are my other options?

And, really, I don't understand why you say wordpress can't do this.  I trust you, since you know more about it, but I don't get it.  I mean, we have plugins like Nextgen Gallery, which can do all sorts of cool things with images and image galleries.  You can stick it anywhere on a page or post.  Why can't the same thing be built for a video gallery?

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2011, 05:18 PM »
That's fine, I'm not commited to that.  How about just the grid layout gallery ability?  Forget the peek a boo effects.