ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Windows 8 Fast boot time ? Check this out...

(1/9) > >>

Armando:
I'm not into fast boot time craziness -- I almost always hibernate or go into sleep mode.
However, this is fast.
The statistics and explanations are interesting too.

Delivering fast boot times in Windows 8

And here's the direct link to the little demo

Curt:
-awesome!

I have never even tried to hibernate my PC - I always close/reboot - so this is fantastic to me.

superboyac:
That is bad ass!  That's what I'm talking about!  Cmon Windows...do me right on the tablet stuff.  Man, a windows tablet hooked up to my desktop headquarters would give me all sorts of cool ideas.  It's all about unfettered access to files and folders.  That's what it all comes down to for me.  I'll take any OS that is designed for that.  It's how I would break down my complaint about Apple if I had to do it in one sentance.

Eóin:
I have never even tried to hibernate my PC - I always close/reboot - so this is fantastic to me.
-Curt (September 12, 2011, 04:37 PM)
--- End quote ---

Me neither, always shutdown.

It's all about unfettered access to files and folders.  That's what it all comes down to for me.
-superboyac (September 12, 2011, 05:57 PM)
--- End quote ---

Isn't that quiet simply every single device except Apple's? It's certainly nothing new.

f0dder:
I have never even tried to hibernate my PC - I always close/reboot - so this is fantastic to me.-Curt (September 12, 2011, 04:37 PM)
--- End quote ---
It's great if you have 2gigs of RAM... it's OK if you've got 4... above that, hibernation starts taking a bit too much time for my liking.

But on a developer laptop running heavy cra stuff like Day Adobe CQ5, the accompanying CRXDE "lite", a zillion chrome tabs, a few firefox and IE windows, a bunch of console windows, text editors, and... all that jazz... well, trust me, hibernation is a love affair. About a minute to boot into a fully-working desktop, or ~15min to start up all the crap from a cold boot? Geeh, let me see... :P

The win8 "hibernate just the core" idea seems interesting, but dunno how much it's going to matter - the Windows boot sequence doesn't seem to take a lot of time compared to POST and post-boot-load-all-the-startup-crap on most systems I've dealt with.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version