Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site April 24, 2014, 12:21:44 PM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

Check out and download the GOE 2007 Freeware Challenge productivity tools.

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: FARR noshow when focused window is admin (UAC @ top level win7)  (Read 2623 times)
tomos
Charter Member

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« on: September 12, 2011, 06:18:03 AM »

Windows 7 Pro, 64bit

Admin account with UAC at highest level

If I have an admin window focused (i.e. an app that requires confirmation from UAC) FARR will not show with the Pause shortcut - maybe it shows behind? but I couldnt find it anyways :-)

Tom
Ampa
Charter Member

I am cute ;)

View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2011, 09:01:03 AM »

Confirmed... I have been running Xplorer2 in admin mode to reduce the number of annoying confirmations it asks for, but this disables launching of FARR (unless I first click on the desktop)

There are other implications of admin mode too... I discovered that drag and drop doesn't work into an admin mode application - eg WinRAR drag to admin Xplorer2 does nothing!

For now I've put Xplorer2 back to user level, but hope there is a more satisfying fix!
Stoic Joker
Honorary Member

View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2011, 11:47:12 AM »

Run as Admin & the UAC prompts run in a different session than the locally logged on user. These sessions are isolated for security purposes ... So trying to get them to interact (like handing a file from one to the other, etc.) is AFAIK futile.
tomos
Charter Member

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2011, 04:07:08 AM »

OK, running FARR as admin starts apps as admin.

I wonder would it be possible to run FARR as admin, but that, by default, launched apps would *not* be run as admin.
I know that the opposite is possible i.e. to launch apps from a normal instance of FARR as admin (via Ctrl+Shift+Enter.)

Tom
slemmigfisk
Participant

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2011, 09:16:37 AM »

This is quite annoying actually, mostly because i don't get it, using alt+space to show FARR works, but not the pause key, any explanation to that? What workarounds are there, apart from runnning FARR as admin and possibly creating new problems.
mouser
First Author
Administrator

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2011, 06:28:19 AM »

using alt+space to show FARR works, but not the pause key, any explanation to that?
very odd.. in the hotkey options tab in farr, there are some alternate pause/break key identifiers you could try.

can i ask a clarification?  are you saying that the break key works if you run as admin, but not if you don't? or does it never work in any case?
slemmigfisk
Participant

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2011, 10:08:48 AM »

using alt+space to show FARR works, but not the pause key, any explanation to that?
very odd.. in the hotkey options tab in farr, there are some alternate pause/break key identifiers you could try.

can i ask a clarification?  are you saying that the break key works if you run as admin, but not if you don't? or does it never work in any case?

Yes, if i run FARR with admin rights the pause key works in both admin and user run apps, and the dropdown box is greyed out where you should be able to change the hotkey, the key is named "Break/Pause(2)" anyway.

Edit: Running Win7 x64 and FARR 2.102.03
mouser
First Author
Administrator

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2011, 10:45:31 AM »

Very odd.
Try adding a couple more hotkeys using the different Break/Pause versions and run that as non-admin, see if that makes a difference.
slemmigfisk
Participant

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2011, 11:34:10 AM »

Very odd.
Try adding a couple more hotkeys using the different Break/Pause versions and run that as non-admin, see if that makes a difference.

No difference, i guess the key is the correct one since it works if i run as admin and it always works in apps ran as user. Tried other single keys (tab, end, scroll lock) aswell and it's the same problem, as soon as i add a modifier like ctrl, alt, it works even in admin apps (FARR ran as user). Can someone with win7 and UAC turned on verify or deny this?
tomos
Charter Member

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2011, 02:22:28 PM »

more oddness, but different experience to slemmigfisk -
the pause key now works for me, also over an admin app - with FARR being run as "normal" (see OP where it didnt work)
Also works when running FARR as admin.
v2.102.03

Tom
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.031s | Server load: 0.09 ]