ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Post New Requests Here

IDEA: Simple "overlay" to CHM (Help) file which allows highlighting, annotation

<< < (2/2)

Contro:
I see this post as the one i am on it in these moments.
But the soft exist
ultraCHM
Beyond CHM, but are not free.

I installed the trial from Beyond and see how is possible, but then you can't save the chm

MilesAhead:
Another "free" alternative may be to decompile the .chm and use a wysiwyg editor on the individual html pages. I haven't used such an html editor in a long time. If there are any that do highlighting and let you treat the page as an image I don't know.  But it's not that difficult to decompile .chm using html workshop and compile it back together. If you have a fully functioning .chm to start.

I did get a free html help tool called HelpMaker. Didn't do that much with it. But just know trying the embedded links comes up with dead pages. Must've gone under or are keeping a low profile. :)

tomos:
One virtue of .chm is it is compiled html pages.  You can use free Html Help Workshop to decompile into html pages.  You can then use whatever tools will work on html. Change images or annotate them, etc..  Then recompile to .chm help.-MilesAhead (September 16, 2011, 03:24 PM)
--- End quote ---

dunno if this of interest -
dc member Jibz compiled the InfoQube online manual to CHM. He gives instructions here (InfoQube forums).

Re: HTML Help (CHM) version of User Manual - Updated Apr ...
Submitted by Jibz on Sun, 2011-04-03 04:49

I wanted to make a note here of the exact steps I am currently using to create the chm version to make it easier
for other people to produce the same result.

Make sure you have Perl and the HTML Help Workshop installed.
--- End quote ---

MilesAhead:
I'm no html/css expert but it may be better when working text to use tags and css to enlarge fonts and change text color to highlight instead of converting everything to an image format. The learning curve is likely a lot higher though. The advantage of keeping text as text is you don't get stuck doing some OCR later on if everything is converted to an image. Then again I'm no PDF expert either. Perhaps there's an easier way around the problem. But html header tags aren't that difficult. Also you can name areas and set the font size and color using css. I think that all gets translated into the .chm. The tough part is getting the end result to look good as far as spacing, indentation etc..

I did it the hard way because it was cheaper. :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version