topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 6:14 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: PCWorld recommends DonationCoder.com and says: "Give a Little, Get a Lot"  (Read 9083 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
A new donator emailed me to tell me we were mentioned in the October 2011 edition of PC World magazine, in an article on freeware (ironically i'm not sure any DC apps are recommended in that article even though PC World does frequently recommend our software).

Here's the sidebar mentioning us:
givelittle.jpg

From the text:
"To find more donationware programs, a great resource is DonationCoder.com, a site that hosts the work of many freeware programmers but solicits donations on their behalf.  Best of all, DonationCoder.com certifies that none of the programs it hosts contain spyware or malware, and the site will refund your donation if you wish -- no questions asked.  With that kind of peace of mind, sending a little love to a hardworking programmer is easier than ever."

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Refunds???   :tellme:

Great to see DC being mentioned in more and more articles  8)

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Nice! Good to see for a change.   :)

Jim

KynloStephen66515

• Animated Giffer in Chief
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Refunds???   :tellme:

Had to quote that...I'm also curious...DC offers refunds?

GIMME MAH MONEY BACK!  :-*

:D

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
From the Donate page:

"Our 100% Happiness Guarantee

We want you to be proud to be a supporting member of our site! Should you ever become dissatisfied with our site, at any time, for any reason, please allow us to promptly refund your entire donation, and absorb the payment fees, no questions asked. And you are welcome to keep the lifetime license key in case you decide to try one of our programs again in the future."

KynloStephen66515

• Animated Giffer in Chief
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
From the Donate page:

"Our 100% Happiness Guarantee

We want you to be proud to be a supporting member of our site! Should you ever become dissatisfied with our site, at any time, for any reason, please allow us to promptly refund your entire donation, and absorb the payment fees, no questions asked. And you are welcome to keep the lifetime license key in case you decide to try one of our programs again in the future."

So if someone donates $1000, sends it to an author...then gets pissed off and demands their money back...you refund them, without punishing the author?

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Well, there is a case where the refund would not be possible.. If the donation was specifically sent by the donator to an author, and the author cashed out the donation after 30 days, and the author didn't have enough donations in their credits to handle a refund, we wouldn't be able to refund it.  This has never happened but it is possible.  I suppose I should add some asterisk to the refund statement about this.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Well, there is a case where the refund would not be possible.. If the donation was specifically sent by the donator to an author, and the author cashed out the donation after 30 days, and the author didn't have enough donations in their credits to handle a refund, we wouldn't be able to refund it.  This has never happened but it is possible.  I suppose I should add some asterisk to the refund statement about this.

Maybe if it's within 30 days of the donation - any donation.  So if I donate X today, then Y some days later, 30 days after X donation, I couldn't get it back, though I could still get back Y within it's 30 day window.  I think that's more than fair.

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Go PCWorld!

kyrathaba

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Nice exposure in a well-read venue.  :up:

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

Maybe if it's within 30 days of the donation - any donation.  So if I donate X today, then Y some days later, 30 days after X donation, I couldn't get it back, though I could still get back Y within it's 30 day window.  I think that's more than fair.

I think the key point here is, its never happened. Once you start down the slippery fine print slope...It tends to end in lawyers (which is never safe for anyone).

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Yeah, i hate to throw cold water on those of you who love fine print, but here's the reality as i see it:

• If you are not making a lot of money (or look like you might soon), no one is going to sue you or hassle you so the fine print stuff just never becomes an issue.
  • If you are making a lot of money (or look like you might soon), no amount of fine print or correct legal positioning can save you from the hired gun lawyers who can bleed you dry or extort money from you, whether you are legally in the right or wrong.

Bottom line is: Legal fine print doesn't seem to have much practical value.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Yeah, i hate to throw cold water on those of you who love fine print, but here's the reality as i see it:

• If you are not making a lot of money (or look like you might soon), no one is going to sue you or hassle you so the fine print stuff just never becomes an issue.
  • If you are making a lot of money (or look like you might soon), no amount of fine print or correct legal positioning can save you from the hired gun lawyers who can bleed you dry or extort money from you, whether you are legally in the right or wrong.

Bottom line is: Legal fine print doesn't seem to have much practical value.

Couldn't of said it better myself. :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup: