ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Thoughts in remembrance of 911

<< < (10/14) > >>

cmpm:
Yes, in mythology and modern times, you are correct.
But it began with the staff of Moses, and corrupted over time.

This is way off topic I guess.....so I think I'm done with it.
No offense intended.

IainB:
@cmpm: That looks rather interesting. Sounds like ancient philosophy. There is potentially a lot to be learned from ancient philosophy - e.g. Ahamkara.

As regards the emblematic two-snake (the Caduceus)  versus the one-snake (rod of Asclepius) debate offerred by @app103, you did say (my emphasis):
Here is a misunderstood symbol of a soul, and all souls.
The serpents are masculine and feminine with the rest symbolic of spirit.
You might recognize it as the symbol of the medical profession, healing.

--- End quote ---
I did indeed recognise it as a symbol of medicine/healing - e.g., as used to designate the several corps of the Army Medical Department of the U.S. Army (AMEDD) - who I suspect may need to be told that they are using the "wrong" emblem.
However, I am also used to seeing the rod of Asclepius as the symbol of the medical profession/healing - from when I was working on a WHO-related project regarding the definition of Z59.5 (abject poverty) in 1994/5. Then too, the Caduceus was in use/misuse as it is today - so it's nothing new.

I blame all such misunderstandings on the Americans anyway, who have a well-documented history of corrupting standards for their own mysterious and peculiar purposes - e.g., gallons, and especially the use of English - The Decline of the English Department

"...Let's call the whole thing off."
--- End quote ---
    ;)

Actually, come to think of it, there is another "emblematic" modern-day confusion - the middle digit (second finger) of one hand pointing upwards and facing outwards (in America), and the first and second fingers pointing upwards in a "V"and facing outwards (in England). Though they look quite different, they apparently mean much the same impolite thing.    ;D

app103:
I did indeed recognise it as a symbol of medicine/healing - e.g., as used to designate the several corps of the Army Medical Department of the U.S. Army (AMEDD) - who I suspect may need to be told that they are using the "wrong" emblem.
-IainB (September 19, 2011, 07:08 AM)
--- End quote ---

While it was used by medical personnel, it wasn't meant to be a medical symbol.

Hoff was far too scholarly and intelligent a man to commit the blunder of 'confusing' the caduceus with the serpent staff of Aesculapius. The sign of Mercury was deliberately adopted, as I have heard him state, because it was the emblem of the merchant and hence the emblem of the noncombatant. In junctures when it was necessary for a vessel to proclaim its nature, it was customary for a merchant vessel to indicate its noncombatant status by flying a flag which bore the emblem of Mercury, the God of the Merchant. The caduceus, in our use of it, is not distinctively the emblem of the physician, but the emblem of the whole Medical Department. The enlisted men of the medical department outnumber the physicians of that department. Besides the ambulance wagons, many vehicles are employed in field service in war which are not distinctively medical, but which are used for medical purposes. Both the enlisted men and the vehicles of the department (not to mention many other objects), should bear some sign of neutralization for protection. It seemed to Colonel Hoff and to the board that the Geneva cross, which in addition to its use as an emblem of neutrality is also the emblem of the Swiss Republic, there might well be substituted an emblem which is not the emblem of a foreign country, and the caduceus was selected, as the emblem which for many ages has served to indicate the noncombatant.    ”

—William K Emerson, Encyclopedia of United States Army Insignia and Uniforms-http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caduceus_as_a_symbol_of_medicine#Adoption_by_the_US_military
--- End quote ---

IainB:
@app103: Thankyou. That's a relief! At least someone already had the guts to face up and tell them that they are using the "wrong" emblem. Though it seems that it may be the "right" emblem because it is the wrong one.
I think learning assembler was easier than this.
Maybe we should try to avoid thinking of those medical corps' emblems as necessarily related to medicine/healing then.
I shall have to go and readjust my whole world-view now.
My brain hurts. This is highly perturbing.
What did I tell you? This sort of confusion could only happen in America.

cmpm:
It has been used to represent medical or mythology or commerce or neutrality.
But I do not see it or understand it in any of those ways.
I look further back into it and see the wings as the wings of a dove,
representing spirit.
The rod representing Christ, and the serpents, male and female.
As a whole, the human soul.

Mythology is an offshoot of truths and lies.
So I look beyond that, although it does offer insight.
Being based on other things, the mythological view is not the original intent.
But points to some definite facts that they are based on.

The two serpents representing duality in some explanations.
Although to me, it says the two opposing forces are intertwined.

Anyway, that's what I understand at this time.
I won't argue with other opinions or perspectives.
I respect them, even if I don't agree.

I said you may recognize it as a symbol of the medical profession.
That doesn't mean I agree that it is. Just to be clear on what I said.
Different people in history have made it to be that, by their own decisions.
As I'm sure anyone that looked it up may have seen.
It was used in the armed forces of USA for the medical corps, for a while,
as well as other choices made concerning this symbol.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version