ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Thoughts in remembrance of 911

<< < (8/14) > >>

wraith808:
I'll take one last stab at this. I'm simply agreeing with app that citing a line from a poem which is loosely associated with a religion is a very poor basis for disallowing the building of a structure by members of that religion. Beyond that, I don't care, or it's a choice of either declaring it a self evident truth or writing a 10 page essay, and I don't have time for it, nor am I as eloquent as app.
-daddydave (September 14, 2011, 04:56 AM)
--- End quote ---

I didn't get that from her post.  Which is why I posted the other- my understanding might be wrong.  And with the other (unneeded?) comment on this exchange, I'll withdraw from the conversation.

daddydave:
my understanding might be wrong
-wraith808 (September 14, 2011, 09:34 AM)
--- End quote ---

Mine might be as well. I'm sorry for any confusion I've added. Please don't take offense at anything I've said, I often see connections that to other people aren't really there.

wraith808:
my understanding might be wrong
-wraith808 (September 14, 2011, 09:34 AM)
--- End quote ---

Mine might be as well. I'm sorry for any confusion I've added. Please don't take offense at anything I've said, I often see connections that to other people aren't really there.
-daddydave (September 14, 2011, 12:16 PM)
--- End quote ---

Oh, not your comment.  I do appreciate the perspective that you gave- it made me think about the fact that my understanding of the original post might indeed have been incorrect.

JavaJones:
I just want to say that I read 40hz's post essentially nodding my head in agreement, but steeladept - while not disagreeing with what he wrote - does answer some questions I've also had. Why are the thousands of deaths a year that are a "routine part of life" treated differently than terrorism. I think steeladept gives a partial answer, which I'm appreciative of.

I still don't think the reaction is justified by that, but it's useful to see a clear distinction. In one case - that of the deaths that happen more regularly from every-day actions - there is usually not someone to blame (the driver of the other car maybe, but sometimes neither survives, and it's very seldom malicious). In the other case - that of terrorism - there are not only individuals to blame, but also usually ideology, even race, or other groupings you can use to target those responsible or those who directed, motivated, or simply agreed with them. Again it doesn't make it right, but at least it makes a bit more sense.

To me the most important thing is that those who died on 9/11 are honored and remembered in positive ways.

- Oshyan

IainB:
@cmpm:
i think this fits here in this thread.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMla61cOMtc
-cmpm (September 14, 2011, 08:34 AM)
--- End quote ---
Wow. That trailer looks like it could be a seriously interesting film. It puts forward a theory as a basis for a (for me) new perspective on our killing of each other. Seems to dovetail in here perfectly. Thankyou.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version