ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Thoughts in remembrance of 911

<< < (6/14) > >>

daddydave:
If your spouse was killed instantly in the 9/11 attacks you get 2 million dollars from the government fund, a national memorial and day of morning, and a huge national support system.  If your spouse is raped and tortured and murdered by a serial killer you get nothing.  I just don't get that.
-mouser (September 10, 2011, 01:26 PM)
--- End quote ---

I remember hearing the wife on a 9/11 victim insisting that she was entitled to the $2 million because it was her "blood money". This made me angry, it wasn't the taxpayers who killed her husband. After 10 years, it is probably a good day for me to forgive her and assume if was a temporary fit of brainlessness like we all have. So I will.

Renegade:
I'm not trying to be heartless -- I'm not begrudging anyone or trying to take away anyone's pain.  It just seems like yet another example of how reactions to this event have not been rational or proportionate given all of the other cases of death and suffering, both inside and outside of the US.
-mouser (September 10, 2011, 01:26 PM)
--- End quote ---

+60,000,000

daddydave:
"The mosques are our barracks, the domes our helmets, the minarets our bayonets and the faithful our soldiers." Turkish Prime Minister Erdoğan, quoting from an Islamic poem.

--- End quote ---

And I seem to recall this from a very popular Christian hymn:

Onward, Christian soldiers, marching as to war,
   with the cross of Jesus going on before.
   Christ, the royal Master, leads against the foe;
   forward into battle see his banners go!
--- End quote ---
-app103 (September 10, 2011, 09:18 AM)
--- End quote ---

I don't know about the original reference, but I do know that this is being taken out of context.  It's not meant literally, but in terms of spiritual combat.
-wraith808 (September 10, 2011, 09:54 PM)
--- End quote ---

I think that was kind of App's point. After all, a line from a poem must have had a context as well, right?

daddydave:
"The mosques are our barracks, the domes our helmets, the minarets our bayonets and the faithful our soldiers." Turkish Prime Minister Erdoğan, quoting from an Islamic poem.

--- End quote ---

And I seem to recall this from a very popular Christian hymn:

Onward, Christian soldiers, marching as to war,
   with the cross of Jesus going on before.
   Christ, the royal Master, leads against the foe;
   forward into battle see his banners go!
--- End quote ---
-app103 (September 10, 2011, 09:18 AM)
--- End quote ---

I don't know about the original reference, but I do know that this is being taken out of context.  It's not meant literally, but in terms of spiritual combat.
-wraith808 (September 10, 2011, 09:54 PM)
--- End quote ---

I think that was kind of App's point. After all, a line from a poem must have had a context as well, right?
-daddydave (September 12, 2011, 11:57 AM)
--- End quote ---

I said that without actually knowing the context, kind of talking out of my hat, but it turns out I was more right about the context than I imagined. :) Got lucky that time.

wraith808:
It doesn't appear from that link that they are similar, but maybe I'm reading it wrong?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version