ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Must-have apps in the System tray?

<< < (17/41) > >>

Curt:
Thanks, f0dder, for the encouragement to try Trimws, but its command line, so guess if I'm going to? Unless, of course, you have an illustrated thorough tutorial...  :P

lanux128:
i would like to recommend my personal favourite - CLCL

Original screenshot image by AbteriX

AbteriX has written a good tutorial on its usage and has also compiled some reviews of the program..
• https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=2923.0
• https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=2866.0

rjbull:
ClipCache is currently 3.1.0 and has never crashed. It's clipmenus pop up immediately.
-Nighted (April 18, 2007, 09:24 AM)
--- End quote ---

I tried ClipCache 3.1 registered.  Both the full version of Outlook and various applications I have to access via Citrix ruthlessly crashed it.  I was disappointed after  being such a big fan of 1.41 for so long, but it just stopped working for me.

ClipX and ArsClip are 2 completely different applications and can't really be compared. ArsClip does not support graphics at all, so totally useless for me.

--- End quote ---

I have no use for graphics, but I note this from ArsClip's help:

Non-text items have their own separate queue for items. Once they fall of the list, they're moved to Removed Items. To conserve memory, you have the option to ignore items that are large in size. This is useful if you do graphics editing, since these graphics can be quite large. These items can be configured in (Configure -> Clipboard -> Non-text items).

--- End quote ---

That looks like it supports graphics, but, it turns out that non-text items aren't enabled by default.  You have to go into Configuration and enable them.  Latest version of ArsClip is 3.0.2, Mar-15-07.

rjbull:
I have tried a great number of clipboards, and M8 is the one I have kept - for a reason (of course). I do far too many clips, to want to keep them all, so having M8 keeping only the latest 25 is just right for me. I do not want my clipboard to spell, or to frye my eggs - frankly I do not understand what more I should ask for a clipboard manager to do, than M8 Free Clipboard already is doing.
-Curt (April 18, 2007, 02:15 PM)
--- End quote ---

Curt,

I agree that one doesn't usually want to keep clips forever, and if you really want simplicity, then that's fine.  But, taking ClipboardHelp+Spell (CHS), ArsClip and Clipmagic as examples, consider the following benefits:

* All have user-configurable clip histories.  If you want more, or less, than 25 clips, you can set the number you want, and any over the set number are quietly deleted without user intervention.
* All can repair the clipboard chain, that is, if the clipboard stops working, they can attempt to fix it.  CHS can be set to check this regularly.
* All offer folders of permanent clips.  You can keep separate libraries of boilerplate texts for e-mail, forum posts, FAQs, etc.
* All can be set to ignore clips from certain programs.  If you're paranoid, you can, for example, set them to ignore clips from password keepers like KeePass.
* CHS in particular has extra features for text munging: e.g. if you post to Yahoo! Groups online forums, you can clip a post, clean up multiple levels of quote marks and re-format the text.
* Clipmagic has strong organisational features.  You can set rules to file all your DonationCoder posts in one folder regardless of what browser you were using, all your clips from a news site in another, all your e-mail clips in a third, and then separate all your FireFox clips from your IE ones.

Curt:

* Clipmagic has strong organisational features.  You can set rules to file all your DonationCoder posts in one folder regardless of what browser you were using, all your clips from a news site in another, all your e-mail clips in a third, and then separate all your FireFox clips from your IE ones.-rjbull (April 19, 2007, 06:25 AM)
--- End quote ---

Wow; this I can understand to be a great advantage!
Thanks!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version