ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Apple and users' privacy

(1/19) > >>

xtabber:
I gave up on Macs and OS X back around Panther, so I have no way to verify this, but if true, it is one of the most amazing deliberate privacy/security breaches I've ever seen.  What could they be thinking!

zridling:
Governments and the corporations that fund them are doing everything they can to erase anonymity on the net. Not merely for the purpose of computer forensics and prosecution, but to sell you more stuff.

Renegade:
Governments and the corporations that fund them are doing everything they can to erase anonymity on the net. Not merely for the purpose of computer forensics and prosecution, but to sell you more stuff.
-zridling (September 07, 2011, 08:23 PM)
--- End quote ---

Both of those are VERY SCARY propositions.

For the first, you're basically 1 step away from prison as with the number of laws now, everyone is a "criminal", or can be turned into one with a few twisted words.

The second is just as sinister; how can regular people possibly hope to compete with extremely well funded think-tanks and propaganda machines that work day-in and day-out to shape people's thoughts? I don't people can. There's simply no way to resist when large companies/governments/organizations are doing research into exactly what makes people tick, and then turning it against them for their own benefit. These people market specifically to children with tactics like "the nag factor".

"Oh, people are free to choose..." BS. That's a black lie. People are NOT free to choose. That's an illusion.

Let me give a nice little and VERY controversial example...

Do you believe in global warming?

If you do, the chances are you've been bamboozled. Why? Because it's unlikely that you're an expert on the subject and unlikely that you have enough information to make an informed choice on whether to believe or not. Rather, you've been tricked into believing it through various means. Does this mean that you or me are idiots? No. It just means that we're human and are wired in certain ways that people are exploiting for their own means.

NOTE: I did NOT say anything about the truth or falsity of global warming. So please don't put any words in my mouth. What I AM saying is that the tactics used to convince you and me are not valid arguments in the logical sense. I am speaking purely about the tactics used, and not the subject matter -- the controversial nature of the content merely serves to illustrate the point better.

The same tactics are used in numerous different areas. Propaganda is a very well refined science, and it's only becoming more and more sophisticated.

Eóin:
Jaysus guys, calm down with the conspiracy theories :huh:

Renegade:
Jaysus guys, calm down with the conspiracy theories :huh:
-Eóin (September 08, 2011, 01:37 AM)
--- End quote ---

I'm not going on about any conspiracy. It's simple logic. (Like I said, don't infer anything about my belief or disbelief in global warming -- I'm not touching that one way or another as it's off-topic and heated.)

Security is inherently a messy issue as a large part of the problem is to stop slippery slopes, which admittedly, do tend to look like conspiracy theories.

So, good security prevents access to those paths that could, potentially, just maybe, lead to very dark places. Better safe than sorry?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version