ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

XBOX 360 with Kinect or Wii?

<< < (3/3)

Darwin:
+1 for the Xbox 360 and Kinect.

It's a BLAST... Games are pricey, though.

wraith808:
+1 for the Xbox 360 and Kinect.

It's a BLAST... Games are pricey, though.
-Darwin (September 13, 2011, 07:58 AM)
--- End quote ---

I look for deals- I've not paid over $30 for any games (other than Kinectimals because my wife got it spur of the moment at Wal-Mart).  Gamefly is good also, especially to see if you want to keep them (and then the keep price is a whole lot less than the buy price in most cases).

allen:
My wife tried to use our Wii for exercise and found it to be incredibly underwhelming, the Wiimote just isn't all that accurate and annoying to have to hold. (If you are so inclined, it's also quite easy to do entire workouts merely flicking your rest and faking it) Meanwhile, Kinect is just plain creepy it's so perceptive. . . and you don't have to hold (or risk throwing) anything.  I don't think there's really any question which system is superior for this singular purpose.

360 is great for lazy couch gaming, too. (as is the PS3, but I prefer Xbox Live by far over PSN -- and Microsoft has never been on its knees for months, bleeding data ). Deozaan's privacy argument, then, has some merit -- but I'll take the risk, in exchange for an incredibly well put together community.

Between used games and gamefly, you can do a great deal of gaming on a relatively tight budget (except the "investment" in the console), so long as you don't need new releases on release day. You pay for that. . .

steeladept:
I will add my support for the Kinect between the two.  I don't have the Kinect, but I do have a Wii and it does have some good points.  That said, camera tracking it going to help a lot more.

As everyone here has said or eluded to, the Wii only tracks the remote (unless you buy and use the balance board, but that is more money and still not 100% there).  I have a Wii and a many of "fitness" games which are trivially easy to "cheat".  If you are serious, you won't do that though.  Where the Wii really comes up short is in the fact that it can't track actual movement, so it can't tell you when you are doing a movement wrong by accident.  (And sometimes you will do it right and it says you aren't because it can't track it).

Now with that said, the balance board does add quite a bit to the experience for a lot less overall cost.  In particular, it is useful in the balance and other "yoga"-type exercises.  The key to remember is, unless you are a teenage girl who is thin but otherwise strong for your age, then it is going to say you are fat and not very healthy overall (it doesn't track well with age, gender, build, etc.).  That is, of course, based on most of the current exercise programs for it (we have most of them that my wife bought at one time or another).  You can ignore that part and just use it to track your progress, but you do need to know about that caveat.

So in summary, the Wii is okay and it is far cheaper, even with the balance board; but for a better experience, the Kinect system is the way to go (don't know anything about the Playstation system to go on however).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version