topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:43 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: How long will it take you to adopt Windows Vista as your OS?  (Read 38319 times)

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: How long will it take you to adopt Windows Vista as your OS?
« Reply #50 on: March 22, 2006, 06:56 PM »
It's the difference between a real woman and a slattern, I'd much rather look at an attractive woman than be repelled by a skank.
I prefer women that are beatiful WITHOUT makeup, but are drop-dead gorgeous with. Vista is a case of "I can live with this skank when she has a couple of pounds of makeup on".

Is it just me that finds these comments slightly offensive? Some of us may not be much to look at but we are human beings with the same emotions as everyone else (and perhaps a little more grey matter than women who spend 90% of the time in beauty parlours, in front of the mirror or having surgery).
-Carol Haynes (March 19, 2006, 05:04 AM)

You are not alone, Carol.

P.S. That's a lot of quotes.

allen

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #51 on: March 22, 2006, 08:15 PM »
It's the difference between a real woman and a slattern, I'd much rather look at an attractive woman than be repelled by a skank.
I prefer women that are beatiful WITHOUT makeup, but are drop-dead gorgeous with. Vista is a case of "I can live with this skank when she has a couple of pounds of makeup on".

Is it just me that finds these comments slightly offensive? Some of us may not be much to look at but we are human beings with the same emotions as everyone else (and perhaps a little more grey matter than women who spend 90% of the time in beauty parlours, in front of the mirror or having surgery).
-Carol Haynes (March 19, 2006, 05:04 AM)

The difference here, if I may -- not everyone is expected to be drop dead gorgeous, by any means.  And anyone who says one can be measured by their beauty is a fool.  However, in this instance, the product is largely being sold on an aesthetic basis -- and, like the models in the magazines, if you're selling beauty--then we want beauty.  I don't expect my wife to look like a centerfold--and think no less of her if she doesn't--but, damnit, that centerfold sure better look like one -- that's what she's paid for!

Note: I'm probably the last person who should be drawing this analogy, I don't much care for makeup or centerfold types . . . I like my women like I like my operating system: plain and efficient/sufficient. :)
« Last Edit: March 22, 2006, 08:17 PM by allen »

Cpilot

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Bite Notes
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #52 on: March 22, 2006, 08:51 PM »
Ok before everyone gets carried away with the "slattern" analogy I think a lookup on dictionary.com is in order. First of all it has nothing to do with makeup or beauty. The definition I was going for was the most common ie:

slat·tern n.
An untidy, dirty woman.

You see under the conventional definition one has to go out of their way to be untidy and dirty.
The point being, like it or not, most people respond to things that are attractive. If an application or OS is pleasing to someone's eyes they have a tendency to look at it more, instead of flinch away. It's the primary reason there's windows. A lot of stuff can be just as easily done in console mode...but it ain't as purty.

If you care to narrowly define things to their absolute functionality then that's fine. But the truth is for most consumers, of anything, the eye has to be pleased first before they consider quality.
And if you notice for the most part, with almost all shareware offerings there is an attempt to make the application look attractive.
That's just good marketing.
Computers and the web are no longer the sole domain of geeks and techies, as the internet becomes more consumer driven aesthetics will become more important as more and more companies try to get the attention of more and more consumers.
personal feelings aside it's inevitable, and I would rather just try and keep up to date and enjoy whatever benefits the new technology brings. And learn the pitfalls sooner than later.

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #53 on: March 22, 2006, 11:36 PM »
Carol, from the several beta testers I've spoken with, they all love Office 12 once they got accustomed to the lack of a toolbar, which in their words did not take long at all. It does provide backward compatibility, and I spend most of my day between UltraEdit, Microsoft Word, and Excel. Office 2003 was a great bug fix of 2002, but little changed except for speed and stability.

I'll probably buy the premium version of Vista to take advantage of the interface improvements, and have Office 12 within a new OS would be cool. I just don't want to buy two versions, first a 32-bit, and then have to turn around in 2-3 years and buy a 64-bit version of Vista. That would bite, so I'm likely waiting until SP1 comes out.

KaysLover

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #54 on: March 23, 2006, 10:16 AM »
I would wait a couple of year at least until the majority of bugs are worked out.   :down:

How long has XP been out and how many fixs' have they released. I can understand that you need fixs' to enhance the product, but the thing that annoys me is the number of security threats that they seem to be plugin.

I seriously hope that they have learned from the security issues and at least visited them in the new version.

Additionally, by waiting a couple of years it will allow new programs to be availabe which will run on 64 bit and hopefully be time to upgrade to a better processor.

That my pennies worth.  8)
Regards

KaysLover

vamp07

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #55 on: March 24, 2006, 06:04 AM »
For some reason I'm just not all that excited my Vista. I'm sure the new look will be cool but I really want my OS to be functional but for the most part stay out of the way. For me the big step forward was win2000 when suddenly most directx stuff started working under NT. I use XP and it is fine but what could possible be in vista that is going to really make me want to switch? No doubt I will eventually and I'm sure I'll play with it on day one but I bet I hold off on upgrading.

I just bought a MacBook Pro and so far I'm really liking OS X.

housetier

• Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #56 on: April 04, 2006, 10:36 PM »
I will NEVER buy it!

I might have to use it (at work for example) but I will go to great lengths to avoid that.

moerl

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #57 on: April 05, 2006, 12:06 AM »
Crap.. I wish I had been around when this topic was started. There is no way in hell I will read all of the above. I want to jump on the Vista bandwagon ASAP because I'm very excited about Vista. I've read a lot about it and can't wait to use it. It's not just another Windows version, just like that.. it's a major overhaul of everything that's under the hood, which makes Vista very intriguing and interesting to me. What I don't look forward to is having to buy a new computer :/

wasker

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #58 on: April 06, 2006, 10:41 AM »
I'm waiting for Vista. Love its look. My recently upgraded 'puter should handle the Glass.

thunder7

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Thunder7
    • View Profile
    • http://www.artwanted.com/thunder7/
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #59 on: June 07, 2006, 08:55 AM »
They have not yet got all the bugs out of Windows XP.
I will be waiting awhile before I upgrade. My girlfriend is a Tech and even she is not gonna run out to buy the latest greatest OS Vista. I do not know Windows XP Pro as well as I know Windows 95,98,98SE,ME. So I am waiting until I know Windows XP Pro as well if not better that previous versions of Windows.

Knowing Windows "There will be a lot of bugs." There always is.

masu

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #60 on: June 07, 2006, 11:19 AM »
It depends how many 64nit programs and drivers are available at this time.
But I think I will wait 1 year after release before I will buy it
Find+Run Robot 2.90.01
Windows 7

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #61 on: June 07, 2006, 11:59 AM »
I probably won't upgrade to Vista until XP has hit end of life and will no longer receive security updates....about 5-6 years after Vista is released for general use.

I still have 9x on my other pc and only recently finally got XP...and only because I have a new pc that came with it.

And the thing I hated most with XP out of the box is that childish look it has with XP themes. I have it set to use the classic 9x look...I like it much better and think it's much more attractive. I will NOT be upgrading for silly eye candy.

I will have to be FORCED to upgrade...like I was forced into XP.

and as far as Office forcing me...not gonna happen...I still have and use Office 97....and an older full version of 602Pro PC Suite...and Open Office is a viable alternative.  ;D