topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 7:30 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: How long will it take you to adopt Windows Vista as your OS?  (Read 38313 times)

tinyvillager

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

Word around the campfire is that Vista is set for November.
http://www.microsoft...WRSS02129TX1K0000535

Although i've been using XP for a handful of years,it seems like it's taken every bit of that handful of years
to adjust,modify and get it just like i want it and now i like it.I like it to the point where i'm not that excited
about Vista.Personally i could sit on an OS for longer than five years and be content.I don't know,thinking
outloud here i guess,imho i'm just not that hyped about shelling out another 150-200 bucks on an os which
will also force me to shell out more money on hardware just to run it.Like i said just my humble opinion,
whats your thoughts,are you gonna rush out and buy it as soon as it comes out.Not to sound like a google
fanboy,cause i'm not,but i have the strongest feeling and an out and out prediction that Google will release
an OS,if not before Vista,shortly after, i don't care want anyone says and i actually believe it will be
essential to google's survival.

mrainey

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Website
    • Donate to Member
Re: How long will it take you to adopt Windows Vista as your OS?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2006, 09:09 PM »
I usually wait a year or two after a new Windows version comes out before upgrading.  I'm pretty happy with XP, and not in any big hurry to change.
Software For Metalworking
http://closetolerancesoftware.com

Rover

• Master of Smilies
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2006, 09:18 PM »
[Personal Opinion/Future Prediction]
Vista will be the last big OS release.  Web services are maturing to the point where the OS will eventually (the sooner the better) be irrelivant.
[End Opinion/Prediction]
There are still people using Windoze 98.  As long as drivers are available and the software they want/need runs, who cares about the OS anyway?

So no, I won't be switching to Vista soon.  I'd rather switch to Linux....  :Thmbsup:
Insert Brilliant Sig line here

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2006, 09:24 PM »
I'm pretty happy with XP, and not in any big hurry to change.
-mrainey

me neither, unless there's some new embedded technologies that requires Vista to work. something like the USB drive/digital camera plug-and-play that came built-in with XP and made life difficult for Win9x users...

Cpilot

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Bite Notes
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2006, 09:26 PM »
When WinXP first came out there was a general howling across the web about how all it is is "eye candy" and a resource hog and lots of "I ain't gonna change fer nuthin'" talk.
Big brother M$ can track your computer and get all kinds of information about you (as if spyware and trojans from everywhere wasn't already trying to do the same thing), the .net passport sucks (don't gotta use it) paranoia galore  ;D.
Mostly from folks hangin onto their copies of Win98. (Hey  :huh: if your too cheap or can't afford a new computer just say so, but the majority of these folks never tryed WinXP or if they had they hadn't enough time to really work with it enough to get a real feel for it.) So they posted a lot from what others were saying.

I read where it was extremely unstable and prone to crash constantly in some forum......where the dinosours roam...yeah that's exactly how I meant to spell it sours.
There're still places that if you say anything negative about Win98, like what a pain it is to alter your apps to be that far back compatable, the hue and cry is deafening.
I've been using WinXP for 5 years now and it's the most stable OS I have ever used.
I like it and make no apologies about it. And I'll never go backward as far as my own personal machine.
My laptop is getting up in age and I fully intend waiting until Vista is available before buying my next system.
I'll be d**ned in 10 years to be one of those crotchety old WinXP users whining about backward compatability for (what will be by then ) my 16 year old computer system.
As much as everyone loves to hate microsoft the real action will always be with their OS.

kimmchii

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2006, 11:01 PM »
DRM DRM DRM DRM DRM DRM DRM DRM DRM DRM DRM DRM DRM DRM.
If you find a good solution and become attached to it, the solution may become your next problem.
~Robert Anthony

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2006, 01:18 AM »
change can be hard. i know i used to tell everyone how rubbish xp was when it arrived and how fantastic 98 and 2000 were - i thought it was rubbish because when i first installed xp there was a driver problem so i gave up and didn't look at it again for a few months.

i felt like a complete idiot when i finally gave xp another go. it was/is the best operating system i've used so far. okay, so you need the right machine to put it on.

when will i buy vista? not on the day of release but within the first few months - just enough time for driver issues to be sorted. i wouldn't be too surprised if there is a work around for the drm issues (or crack).

i'm happy enough with xp to be honest but i want that 'black' gui that vista has. pathetic reason i know.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2006, 02:03 AM »
i have to joint the chorus of winxp praisers.  well, 2000 and xp to me are basically the same - the point is that compared to win9x and me, win2k/xp is just 10000x more stable, and it really is quite stable.  so kudos to microsoft they did do a good job in that department from my experience.

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2006, 11:16 AM »
Linux. And that's ALL I have to say. Except I really liked W2K. XP was just fancier.
I just took the (slightly outdated) "What OS are you" quiz on BBSpot and (this is too creepy) guess what?...
I'm "Slackware Linux".
Take a wild flying guess what I run at home...

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2006, 06:18 PM »
As a long time Windows sufferer (anyone else remember the joys of Windows 2? What about GEM?) I'd like to move to Linux but I have too many bits of hardware without proper Linux drivers (not least my printer and my scanner not to mention most of my USB stuff, including my Canon SLR). The other problem I have with Linux is that I have too much money invested in Windows based software. I know WINE works with some stuff but what is the point of running Linux and then trying to emulate Windows to run Adobe PhotoShop?

Personally I will probably upgrade to Vista at some point, but it will be at least a couple of years after release so that they have time to iron out the major issues that are bound to plague it for at least the first year - Vista SP1 seems like a good target. Win2k/XP are pretty good OSes (not perfect)  knocking the earlier versions of Windows out for good but have really only got rid of most of the gremlins in the last couple of years (esp. in XP).

Anyone still using Win98 should either have a damn good reason (like some ancient hardware that is essential to them) or be barking mad ... I still shudder when I think of the amount of time I spent troubleshooting crashes in 98. Anyone still using ME is definitely barking mad - that was even worse than 98 (and that was MS's own judgment).
« Last Edit: March 15, 2006, 06:22 PM by Carol Haynes »

Cpilot

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Bite Notes
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2006, 06:23 PM »
Just as an aside, everyone I ever knew who switched to Linux for one reason or another. Never lasted with it for more than a year. It basically became too much of a hassle.

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2006, 06:27 PM »
The important part here:
It's not that i don't like linux... But it doesn't run Find And Run Robot ;)

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2006, 10:17 PM »
I just took the (slightly outdated) "What OS are you" quiz on BBSpot and (this is too creepy) guess what?...

haha.. this is quite interesting...  :Thmbsup: i came up with:

:o :o

Rover

• Master of Smilies
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2006, 10:45 PM »
 :o
I wanted to be OS/2 or Debian or something cool...
Insert Brilliant Sig line here

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2006, 04:29 AM »
Hmmm ... I seem to be ...

which is strange 'cos I've never heard of it. Maybe that's why none of my hardware works ....

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2006, 11:14 AM »
@Carol- TRS-DOS is (was) the version of DOS that ran on Tandy computers (TRS-80 and the like) back when every computer maker had their own version of BASIC as well.
Look here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TRS-DOS

As far as hardware goes, Linux is supported and is supporting more hardware every day. Consulting the home page of your manufacturer would be a good start, but then again you'd have to learn a whole new operating system...

@Cpilot- I've heard stories from all ends of the spectrum; Folks who tried and dropped Linux entirely because it didn't [place gripe here] and never gave it a chance. Some folks gave it a good go and dropped it when their curiosity level hit their tolerance ceiling (usually takes 6 mo. to a year, so your number matches) and some who just somehow "get it" and never look back. I don't think those are going to change very soon, but when Vista does come out, I predict we'll see the cream seperate from the milk.
As far as MS goes, folks can rant about predatory marketing tactics all they want, but the Windows team has really gone out of their way to make it all as easy as possible for the largest common denominator end user. I suppose there are a large contingent of folks out there who actully like Clippy and don't banish the search puppy in XP because they feel it actually helps them. Vista is simply the next level of it, no doubt with some industrial-strength code behind it all (remember... those guys get PAID for what they do...).  As much as we all like to say it sometimes, RTFM is some pretty cold advice when someone actually needs help, and that seems to be the Linux battle-hymn some days...

(hehe I just had a thought... You all know the Monty Python 'Spam' skit? Replace "spam, spam, spam, spam" with "R, T, F, M" and you get the picture) :)

Cpilot

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Bite Notes
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2006, 12:03 PM »
@Cpilot- I've heard stories from all ends of the spectrum; Folks who tried and dropped Linux entirely because it didn't [place gripe here] and never gave it a chance. Some folks gave it a good go and dropped it when their curiosity level hit their tolerance ceiling (usually takes 6 mo. to a year, so your number matches) and some who just somehow "get it" and never look back. I don't think those are going to change very soon, but when Vista does come out, I predict we'll see the cream seperate from the milk.
-Edvard
Just goes to show that everyone has their preferences.
I've always thought the "OS" wars was kinda silly. Just like the "programming language discussions" you see out there. (which usually become firefights, the way I feel about it is if whatever your using needs to be defended by nasty comments and flame wars then maybe you need to reconsider your software)
People use what they understand and what can get the job done. The question also isn't say...can I install a particular Linux distro and then find and install all the drivers I need for whatever particular applications I want to use...but rather...do I want to?

One thing that constantly gets overlooked by the "software guru's" out there is this. The vast majority of people out there that buy a computer couldn't give a fig about anything more than surfing the net, getting and sending emails, and getting the latest semi nudie music video.....oh yeah and games.

They don't have the inclination or desire to spend hours and hours learning how to set up,configure,tweak and cajole a system into a particular configuration.
That's why virii and trojans are such a problem, it ain't the OS it's the users lack of desire to learn enough about their system to make it safe...or safer if you prefer.
Plug and play...that's the attraction. M$ has got it. That's why it's OS's dominate.

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2006, 12:18 PM »
@Carol- TRS-DOS is (was) the version of DOS that ran on Tandy computers (TRS-80 and the like) back when every computer maker had their own version of BASIC as well.
Look here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TRS-DOS

Actually as soon as I saw the word Tandy it all came flooding back ;)

As far as hardware goes, Linux is supported and is supporting more hardware every day. Consulting the home page of your manufacturer would be a good start, but then again you'd have to learn a whole new operating system...

I know that - I actually like Linux as an operating system but I have now tried umpteen different versions over the last 5 years and I have yet to find a single build that can install my hardware set. Almost every version has problems with the various printers I have had - even when they were supported they didn't work properly but three models weren't even supported unless they were emulating an ancient Epson. Given that my main use for a printer is photography this was simply unacceptible. My current printer (a Canon iP5000 which is hardly obscure) isn't supported in any way at all.

I have a bog standard Canon flatbed scanner that just isn't supported.

My sound hardware (an Audigy 2) is supported but only in a very basic way

and it goes on ...

If/when Linux developers and hardware manufacturers start talking to each other I will probably have at least a dual booting system with Linux but until then Linux (for me) is a toy operating system that has lots of potential but no real benefit.

(Sorry I think I probably said all this before somewhere - not very well today so I am rambling!)

mrainey

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Website
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2006, 04:43 PM »
What about GEM?

From 1985 thru 1990 an Atari ST was my only home computer.  GEM seemed pretty neat at the time - I probably wouldn't want to go back.   :D

Loved the Atari.
Software For Metalworking
http://closetolerancesoftware.com

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2006, 05:51 PM »
What about GEM?
GEM seemed pretty neat at the time - I probably wouldn't want to go back.   :D

It was a shame that GEM died ... it was around at the same time as Windows 2 and infinitely superior. Came a cropper because of law suits with Apple if I remember correctly.

Cpilot

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Bite Notes
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2006, 12:51 PM »
Draw your own conclusions to this one.
Hackers Get Windows XP on Apple Computers

;D

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2006, 12:59 PM »
I won't use Vista until I absolutely have to. I don't like eyecandy in my OS, and it's one of the first things I turn off in XP (or rather, it used to be, before I set up a decent customized unattended install CD). All the eyecandy crap added to Vista + the DRM shit = no go, bro.

Too bad linux SUCKS, with a kernel designed by people who mentally live in the 70'es. The "user-friendly" distros are even more bloated than XP.

I guess I'll give Mac OS X a try, it's the only decent realistic alternative to windows for desktop use.
- carpe noctem

vegas

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2006, 02:56 PM »
Usually I wait AT LEAST 6 months on a new OS.  I think this time I will wait at least 3-4 years. I am perfectly happy with Windoze XP.  I don't even have a problem running Windows2000.

Cpilot

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Bite Notes
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2006, 08:55 PM »
I'm happy with WinXP also, and I do intend to wait a short amount of time after rollout on Vista also in order for the kinks to get ironed out. And I'll keep another box for a while with XP installed.
But I intend to move into it, issues or not.
DRM in one form or another is going to be out there in the future anyway, irregardless of Vista.
People mention it whenever a discussion of Vista comes up, with grave concern.
But after doing a search on this forum using the search terms DRM and Digital rights management I found 5 threads mentioning these 2 terms
here, here,here, here and here.
Now I read through em and while I saw a few dire warnings and predictions, I didn't see where anyone posted anything about anyone monitoring when and by whom any legislation concerning DRM is being proposed or voted on.
I would think that if it's that big of a concern then someone would be pointing out proposed legislation and encouraging the forum members (all 20,085, which ain't a trifle number) to become acquainted with who their congressmen and legislators are in order to email comments and objections.

The only real way to deal with it is to pay attention to the legislation being proposed and make your opinion known.
But since all anyone is talking about is dire warnings and predictions, instead of encouraging taking action, we might as well learn how to deal with it.

And personally I like the eye candy.....
It's the difference between a real woman and a slattern, I'd much rather look at an attractive woman than be repelled by a skank. :Thmbsup:
« Last Edit: March 18, 2006, 11:00 PM by Cpilot »

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2006, 10:31 PM »
nudone - if you want the vista look check out WindowBlinds 5. You can have the look right now for $19.95... There are free icon packages that will convert all of your icons to the new Vista ones to boot (no pun intended). You'll likely wind up upgrading to the ObjectDesktop Suite to allow you to do all this (I did) but the results are really very impressive. I actually got bored of the Vista look/modifying my interface (of course, I'm on a two year old Centrino notebook with a 14" 4:3 monitor) and am back to where f0dder is (and I was for years before a brief 8 week interlude): WinXP in "classic" mode with themes turned off. It just feels "right"! Having said that, though, I am convinced that WB5 was much less resource intensive than M$ own themes service. As an aside, you can run WB5 without the themes service enabled - it handles all skinning duties.

My WB 5 licence is gathering dust... I was impressed with it but finally uninstalled it when I realized that the ONLY reason I had it was for the Vista look and once I got over that there was no point keeping it around. I found that I really wasn't interested in trying out the various available themes ("blinds"). In fact, I had occasion last week to restore a drive image that still had it installed and couldn't bear the look of the Vista theme (though the theme itself was fantastically executed and sadly not available anymore - M$ lawyers had it pulled).

Anyway, just my two bits - you can have the Vista look right now for about $20 ($50 if you go for the entire ObjectDesktop package which includes icon editor and changer).

Like many people here, the only way I'll be moving onto Vista is when I purchase a new computer. I imagine that Vista Sp-2 will out before I do that...