topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 3:51 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Lodsys Patent Troll - Get Ready to Scream...  (Read 6177 times)

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
Lodsys Patent Troll - Get Ready to Scream...
« on: October 08, 2011, 12:51 PM »
So, it appears that Lodsys is running around suing small developers for having "Buy Now" buttons inside of their software.

They're sending patent infringement letters (FedEx) for US patents 5999908, 7133834 and 7620565.

If you want to see part of the trainwreck, errr... the portion that the media reports...

http://www.techdirt..../search.php?q=lodsys

But they are targeting small developers as well. Like, 1-man shops.

The claim is that having a "Buy Now" button is a patent infringement. Or some crap like that. Whatever. It's idiotic.

I can't post what I really think because it's simply... ummm... not nice? Is that a good way to phrase it? :P

Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Lodsys Patent Troll - Get Ready to Scream...
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2011, 12:57 PM »
This software patent insanity has to stop.  Yet another situation where only the largest companies can afford to defend themselves against this kind of harassment.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2011, 01:09 PM »
This software patent insanity has to stop.  Yet another situation where only the largest companies can afford to defend themselves against this kind of harassment.

This is one of the reasons why I'm hoping for wholesale slaughter in the Samsung v. Apple patent wars.

If the patent system can create a massive, high-profile debacle, then we're one step closer to sanity.

The body count only matters for BIG players. If these guys walk away bloody and bruised, then that's an advancement.

Small guys... Irrelevant. Companies like Lodsys can destroy lives until the cows come home, and nobody will care (in the media/judiciary/whatever).

Hoping... crossing my fingers... praying to the Flying Spaghetti Monster... :)
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

vlastimil

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2011, 02:48 PM »
The situation with software patents is getting out of hand. I decided to add this line to the EULA of all my freeware apps:

You may NOT:
* Do evil things with XXX. Evil things include, but are not limited to, promotion of racism, software patents, extreme religion or totalitarian organizations, cyberbullying, or spamming.

( whole EULA here: http://www.rw-designer.com/entry/315 )

I doubt it would have a direct effect, but there may be indirect ones. I hope it will draw attention to the topic and it feels good having "software patents" and "racism" in one sentence.

Will anyone join me?

Eóin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2011, 03:06 PM »
This is one of the reasons why I'm hoping for wholesale slaughter in the Samsung v. Apple patent wars.

If the patent system can create a massive, high-profile debacle, then we're one step closer to sanity.

I agree, it's like a bubble now, eventually (I pray) it'll have to pop.

Here's another example of the madness - Patent Troll Says Anyone Using WiFi Infringes. Like Lodsys, they're only suing soft targets.

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2011, 03:44 PM »
I wonder if there is a Quick Reply text area patent somewhere. While we are at it let's run through software made here. Capturing multiple clipboards patent, grabbing screenshots patent..."absurd" is the kindest word one can use

mahesh2k

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2011, 03:55 PM »

+1

Sometimes world needs to witness battle of titans, so that these titans can "NSFW" each other out and rest of the other guys learn from it.

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2011, 05:12 PM »
I can't post what I really think because it's simply... ummm... not nice? Is that a good way to phrase it? :P
Profiting by destroying other people's lives should effectively have you declassified from "human being" to "filthy organism that should be eradicated with extreme & painful prejudice". I think that's the most moderate way I can phrase it.
- carpe noctem

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2011, 05:45 PM »
New rule: If you don't sue anyone for patent infringement then no one is allowed to sue you for patent infringement.

Let these damn corporations sue each other to death and crap in their own litter box and leave the rest of us alone.