ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

It's alive, it's alive!!! mwahaha! - WinButtons and 7" touchscreen works

<< < (24/31) > >>

Ath:
I can reboot fine, it just doesn't make any difference to the MIMO. I can never really predict what will be required to make the screen work.
-nudone (December 08, 2011, 05:17 PM)
--- End quote ---
Ah, it might be my sloppy reading, but I didn't get that detail, sorry. But the net result is bad enough.

But, honestly, I'd be happier if the pc would just stop bluescreening.
-nudone (December 08, 2011, 05:17 PM)
--- End quote ---

You might need that bug to be taken out first, before investigating anything else. (Start with the memory modules)

If this second set of hardware (same company/shop, right?) is (nearly) as crappy as the first, then they have a QA issue, and you'd probably need to find another supplier.

It might be worth to investigate the qualities if the MIMO on the other system you talked about (with the Cintiq screen?), as it could turn out to be a faulty main-system after all.

nudone:
The new pc is from a different supplier, who tested the machine with a 24 hour over clock burn in before sending it; which makes me think I won't find any problems with it like bad ram.

The old AMD 4800 based machine never bluescreened but had the same issue with the MIMO. If things did get bad I'd go back to using that machine.

I think the MIMO has trouble because I've got two graphics cards. I'll test that theory out by removing one of the cards. But even if that is the problem, there is little I can do to rectify it. I'm definitely not going down the path of buying new graphics cards.

nudone:
Something I have noticed is that the MIMO properties state it is controlled by my secondary graphics card. This seems a bit odd to me as I'd expect it to state something like "displaylink" instead.

If these touchscreens really are controlled by the system gfx cards then that seems like an inherent flaw. My main gfx card is maxed out controlling a 30" monitor and the secondary card is running two 20" screens. Which, to me, indicates the MIMO hasn't the resources available to it.

But then, I've no idea how this displaylink stuff works.

nudone:
Okay, okay... OKAY!!! Whilst watching my computer boot-up over the next few days I shall also be punching myself in the face several times. This should be enough to prepare me for when everything goes wrong again.

Currently the MIMO is working. Yes. Yes, it is. I don't believe it's an hallucination (I do accept I might be so delirious I'm imagining everything - including typing this post).

So, why is it working?

1) I've updated the motherboard bios.

2) I've updated the DisplayLink driver (I say updated, but it is the same as one I installed before).

3) I've removed auto log on with my account. So the system pauses (at the logon screen) with only one monitor active until I log on.

I'm assuming the bios update has helped the most - but it could simply be the log on pause. Whatever, I don't wish to experiment to find out what it is - as it might all stop working again.

It's working better than ever. No flashing screens or USB failed connections. Oh, I've just remembered something that might be important:

4) The MIMO is connected to a USB port on one of the DELL 20" monitors (I assume this is a powered USB port). This is the port that was working before I started complaining at the beginning of this week. Also, the MIMO does NOT work when connected directly to the motherboard USB ports; this arrangement rolls into a cycle of USB dis/connect attempts.

Now, if i can get past the next week without any bluescreens I shall be absolutely euphoric.

I will also create some new WinButtons layouts. I first thought that 30 to 40 buttons would the right amount (or even more) but I now think it's way too many. Keeping layouts to around 20 buttons or less will, hopefully, be easier to remember.

Or, perhaps, it simply requires more training when using the larger button arrangements.

Ath:
Wow! At Last! Great :Thmbsup:

The MIMO is connected to a USB port on one of the DELL 20" monitors (I assume this is a powered USB port).
-nudone (December 10, 2011, 09:04 AM)
--- End quote ---
I do remember someone (a colleague I guess) saying that he could even power an iPad from one of those Dell ports (that iPad really needs a lot of power, exceeding the formal USB 2.0 specs, most Apple laptops have 1 port with extra power, AFAIK), so I guess it's a power issue, combined with that BIOS update, that fixes this.

I first thought that 30 to 40 buttons would the right amount (or even more) but I now think it's way too many. Keeping layouts to around 20 buttons or less will, hopefully, be easier to remember.
-nudone (December 10, 2011, 09:04 AM)
--- End quote ---
You can run several instances of WinButtons (by giving it a -f filename command-line parameter for a specific file, and -t xxx -l yyy for a specific desktop position) that are positioned side by side so you have quicker response when switching apps in a context-sensitive config (less buttons to redraw), and because of less screen updates, there's less distraction for the user.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version