topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 2:43 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: It's alive, it's alive!!! mwahaha! - WinButtons and 7" touchscreen works  (Read 69063 times)

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: It's alive, it's alive!!! mwahaha! - WinButtons and 7" touchscreen works
« Reply #125 on: December 11, 2011, 08:34 PM »
I see. Well, definitely only a single standard type cable on this MIMO. I wonder if there are any other differences with the "touch 2"?

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #126 on: December 11, 2011, 11:23 PM »
I wonder if there are any other differences with the "touch 2"?
Well, one trifling way in which it differs from yours is that it works  ;D

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #127 on: December 12, 2011, 03:50 AM »
It wants 1.0A from a USB connection and comes with a double-headed connector (I use only one with no problems).
-cranioscopical (December 11, 2011, 02:43 PM)

Not trying to rain on your parade or anything but USB ports are only rated to provide 0.5-0.9A, (USB2-USB3).
The only way to get more from a USB3 port is if it is able to go into charging mode and that's done by shorting the D+ and D- data lines.

I'd rather have the inconvenience of the loss of a USB port for purely technical reasons than risk burning out whatever protection may be on the one I'm drawing too much current from and losing it anyway.

There is a reason why they provide that 'Y' cable.  ;)

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #128 on: December 12, 2011, 07:05 AM »
I wonder if there are any other differences with the "touch 2"?
Well, one trifling way in which it differs from yours is that it works  ;D
-cranioscopical (December 11, 2011, 11:23 PM)

Ah, but my MIMO now works perfectly, better than expected. I may even buy another just so I can have two perfectly working MIMOs.

And, as 4wd has pointed out, it sounds like you MIMO will soon not be working or, at least, your USB ports will be smoldering along with your burnt out motherboard.  :P

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #129 on: December 12, 2011, 04:37 PM »
Not trying to rain on your parade or anything but USB ports are only rated to provide 0.5-0.9A
I did wonder Y. Thanks for the warming, I'll play safe.

your USB ports will be smoldering along with your burnt out motherboard
-nudone
Yeah, but can yours cook breakfast?  ;D

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #130 on: December 12, 2011, 07:10 PM »
Some VIA chips were known for not providing enough power for the USB ports thereby causing all manner of strange weirdness in USB devices.  Then again, some powered hubs may provide more than enough power to individual ports but unless the hub specs say it does who knows....the only thing you can really go by is the USB specs.

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #131 on: December 17, 2011, 07:27 AM »
This is just beyond pathetic now...

I've just started the machine up and the MIMO isn't working. This is after an entire week of it working perfectly.

You'll be glad to know I won't bother making any more posts about whether the MIMO works or not. My final word will simply be that...

The MIMO Touchscreens do not work DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY ON ONE.

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #132 on: December 17, 2011, 10:39 AM »
This is after an entire week of it working perfectly.
The MIMO Touchscreens do not work DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY ON ONE.
Since I know SFA about hardware I should probably stay quiet but...
(I, know, I know, you don't want to know)

Given that mine works just fine and yours is capable of running, could it be some other piece of software? Driver corruption?
I really do sympathize with your issues, have had plenty of my own but, judging by your own comments it seems possible that it might not be the MIMO.
Have you some other sucker friendly computer user who might try it out to verify?

You seem to be having such a run of bad luck with hardware that it's almost unbelievable (no unpleasantness intended — only commiseration).

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #133 on: December 17, 2011, 11:27 AM »
I don't honestly believe it's the MIMO hardware itself. But what exactly I don't know and don't see how I can resolve.

DisplayLink drivers - maybe.

The OCZ ssd corrupting data perhaps (I've now learnt that this brand of ssd has problems that my machine is experiencing, i.e. the bluescreen and freezes).

Two internal graphics cards powering three monitors - this probably doesn't help the DisplayLink driver.

The whole system - just isn't stable maybe and I ought to reinstall everything.

I did make a change to the system last night so that is likely to be the reason why the MIMO doesn't work. I installed "ShareMouse" so that I could control a Mac Mini as if it were simply an extra monitor to my machine. This all worked perfectly last night - but I didn't reboot my PC whilst testing (I think).

I was going to try installing the DisplayLink driver (which I've now removed) but I don't know if it's worth all this trouble. I'll probably get it to work and then another week or month from now the MIMO will be playing up again.

I suppose I've got to try haven't I. Phuuuuuuuuuuuuurgh. Does this desire to fiddle about with computers never stop. If I wasn't trying to tweak everything all the time the whole lot would, probably, just work.

MIMO, here I come again...

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #134 on: December 17, 2011, 07:16 PM »
With as much stuff as you have, I still believe that your safest bet is to have a redundant machine. It seems to me that you can't really afford to walk on the wild side when relying on only one machine for some bread and butter.

Did the two recent machines, one returned and one kept, have the same MoBo?

MIMO, here I come again...
Hey, an idea! Will this help? Replace the M's with G's  ;D

Sorry  :-[

;D ;D ;D

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #135 on: December 18, 2011, 04:11 AM »
No, the previous, returned, machine had different hardware throughout (and a different supplier). The problem with that one was either dodgy sata sockets or the Crucial ssd.

I'm going to try to get the MIMO working again in a minute. If you hear someone screaming, it will probably be me.

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #136 on: December 18, 2011, 05:49 AM »
MIMO doesn't work after reinstalling the DisplayLink driver. It's getting worse if anything; flashing screens of solid colour and other rubbish. Swapping the USB ports just creates different problems.

Also, whilst typing out this post (well, the original version of this post) my machine bluescreened.

I'm going to have to just forget about all this for a while. I'm wasting way too much time on it all. It was fun for a while but, really, the most satisfaction I'd get out of all this hardware right now is by destroying it with a suitable solid heavy object - a steamroller would be perfect.

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #137 on: December 18, 2011, 05:58 AM »
Did you try a different USB cable?, as the one supplied could be broken or have a dodgy connection. :(

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #138 on: December 18, 2011, 06:05 AM »
It could be the cable. I haven't tried another and I'm not going to either. Good suggestion but I'm not trying anything else now. The whole touchscreen idea is dead to me.

In fact, if anyone wishes to pay for the postage, they can have the MIMO. Let me know.

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #139 on: December 18, 2011, 06:11 AM »
In fact, if anyone wishes to pay for the postage, they can have the MIMO. Let me know.

If nobody else responds I'll take it, just to know if it works here like mine has since day 1: Flawless. (Besides the driver-quircks of flashing during initialization, ofcourse)

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #140 on: December 18, 2011, 06:28 AM »
Oh, I'm sure it will work fine. I just don't think it will work reliably with multi gfx card and monitor setups - it was working fine for the past week until I installed ShareMouse. This seems to have sent the display part of my system beyond repair.

I'd restore a backup (before ShareMouse was installed) of my system to prove the point - except that Paragon won't work and recover my backups.

You may think I'm being defeatist, but when I look around the web with people having similar problems with bluescreens and similar hardware, the guaranteed solution appears to be to throw the whole lot in the dustbin and just buy all new hardware. Something I shall contemplate doing sometime next year - of course, none of that is guaranteed to work either.

I think the sane thing to do is just accept sometimes things are just incompatible. Or just aren't worth trying to fix as it will take too much messing about. All I need is for the computer to help me do my job each day. Nothing more than that. I could probably do all my work on an old 386 running Windows 95 - so, providing this computer does a little more than that, I'm doing well.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #141 on: December 18, 2011, 06:52 AM »

Me, me, me...errr....please!

Let me know postage to Oz if it hasn't gone already.

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #142 on: December 18, 2011, 06:53 AM »
I googled a bit on mimo and multiple video cards, and finally found the issues you've been talking about. Should have done that earlier :-[

Your issues will eventually be solved once DisplayLink fixes their drivers to work with multiple (ATI) video adapters mounted in a system, and not earlier then that. They should be pun(i)shed for not providing properly working Windows 7 drivers for over 2 years now, as they where aware of the issues even before Windows 7 was released. >:(

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #143 on: December 18, 2011, 07:20 AM »
Interesting. And not surprising. Though, I have two Nvidia cards - no doubt with the same issues as ATI.

I'm not too upset. I went into this (as I've said before) with the view that touchscreens may not work very well. Without WinButtons I'd still have to say that touchscreens are 100% totally and utterly useless - perhaps the MIMO manufactures share this view about their own products otherwise they might fix the inherent issues they have.

4wd and Ath, you will have to decide who should have the Touchscreen. I imagine the postage to Australia from the UK will be in the 30 to 40 pounds area. Is this something you'd be happy to pay, 4wd?

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #144 on: December 18, 2011, 07:37 AM »
Rethink...

You'll have to forgive me for going back on my word.

Now that Ath has stated that there are known issues with multiple graphics card setups that means I could get the MIMO to work quite happily with a single card.

I think I should try the MIMO with my Wacom Cintiq before I decide that I cannot use it at all. Using it with that system is probably the best use for it.

Sorry to get anyone's hopes up for a free touchscreen. I hope you understand that I need to get the dammed thing working for myself before I do anything else with it - it will cheer me up to have it working with the Cintiq if nothing else.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #145 on: December 18, 2011, 07:57 AM »
Sorry to get anyone's hopes up for a free touchscreen. I hope you understand that I need to get the dammed thing working for myself before I do anything else with it - it will cheer me up to have it working with the Cintiq if nothing else.

No problem, I didn't have a specific use for it other than as a possible second monitor/input/system status device I could incorporate into my tower case somehow.

I'm always on the lookout for a bargain :D

But even better if you can get it working with your system, good luck!

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #146 on: December 18, 2011, 10:28 AM »

I'd like it if anyone else doesn't.  I was thinking about getting one, but the price has been a limitation.

Nevermind... a day late and a dollar short it appears...

Hope you get it working in any case!

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #147 on: December 18, 2011, 10:33 AM »
You'll have to forgive me for going back on my word

Don't think of it as going back on your word, think of it simply as episode 156 of the "Watch Nudone Lose His Mind" show.  I hear it's just been picked up for another season, and season one will be on dvd soon.

Someone please send nudone a few more of these little touchscreens and film him opening them up on christmas.

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #148 on: December 18, 2011, 11:26 AM »
think of it as going back on your word, think of it simply as episode 156 of the "Watch Nudone Lose His Mind" show
;D ;D ;D

It is some of the best entertainment around (the poor devil)!

Unless, that is, one happens to be having similar problems — then it's hard to muster a chuckle.

For example...
Can you say "server down"?

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #149 on: December 18, 2011, 11:45 AM »
For example... Can you say "server down"?
-cranioscopical (December 18, 2011, 11:26 AM)

Actually yes. I'm on the phone with a client who's edge router just went tits up (e.g. their Exchange server is "down").

But, muster a damn chuckle I will!