ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

It's alive, it's alive!!! mwahaha! - WinButtons and 7" touchscreen works

<< < (21/31) > >>

nudone:
Maybe the MIMO only works with color and I keep using colour.  ;D

Ath:
Maybe the MIMO only works with color and I keep using colour.  ;D
-nudone (September 25, 2011, 04:21 PM)
--- End quote ---
So we'll have to relocate to the US of A (or at least North America) to get it working properly; hey, cranioscopical, we might become neighbors ;D ;D

cranioscopical:
I kinda love it how we keep mixing the use of the US and UK version of color and colour ;D
-Ath (September 25, 2011, 01:54 PM)
--- End quote ---
Do me a favor, knock it off!  ;)

nudone:
For the record: I've decided to stop using the MIMO touchscreen (and therefore Winbuttons too).

I've had enough of the device's inability to connect properly. I'd been persevering with it ever since it arrived but it's gone too far now.

(Please don't make any suggestions about how to make it work correctly. I've tried the latest drivers and they make the same amount of difference as the other drivers I've tried, i.e. zero difference. I've tried several USB hubs, powered and non powered and all of the ports on the motherboard.)

Today, not only would it refuse to connect but it has now made one of my screens forget all it's colour calibration settings (because my machine now thinks it's a completely different monitor, one that has never been calibrated). This means I've got to waste twenty minutes calibrating the screen all over again. This is not a new pointless routine I wan't to get into.

I've also decided that I can remember and access the hotkeys (in Photoshop, etc.) quicker than I can locate a button on the touchscreen - so the whole touchscreen idea is flawed (for me, at least).

I did consider this touchscreen stuff an experiment that may fail and so it has; maybe not for the right reasons but if the device doesn't want to play nicely then it can just go and die. One positive conclusion is that I know never to buy another touchscreen again, nor to try and use an iPad in a similar way. I've now realised that my keyboard with all its extra macro keys is going to be the better system - even if that is simply because it works immediately on startup.

I may find a use for the MIMO with my Wacom Cintiq based machine. That said, if it doesn't work first time I'm going to run outside and see how far I can throw the touchscreen and watch it smash as it lands on the nice hard concrete. Which will be the most satisfying thing I can do with the unfit for purpose device. (Maybe I should just see if Amazon will give me a refund.)

superboyac:
nudone, did you try using different USB ports?
Ha!  Just kidding...don't you hate that??

I'm also souring on a lot of this touch stuff.  I've now spent considerable time with every tablet on the market, tried the latest smartphones, I have a Wacom, etc.  Touch technology is simply mediocre.  It's convenient for certain applications, even preferable, especially for simple things like browsing the web at a coffee shop, or simple applications that require just a handful of controls (ereaders, reading in general).  But as a general interface, it's just mediocre.
The mechanical precision and ease of the mouse is still the best, it's that perfect balance of digital and mechanical.  We all know how much better it feels to plug in a mouse to your laptop.  It's always, "ah!  much better!".

This reminds me also of the degradation of audio quality now that cellphones are the predominant communication tool.  Back when phones were landlines, the audio quality through that copper connection was excellent.  i remember being a teenager and being able to whisper quietly in the phone, and every breath, every little sound was crystal clear.  Now, we have to yell through our shitty plastic earpieces, or through our fancy screen phones with awful mics, and who knows how much quality is in those wireless transmissions.  All that technology, and in the end, the very basic use of the phone (talking) can be viewed at having gone backwards, quality-wise.  I have to concentrate so much more now with cell phones just to be able to listen and hear things properly.  I hate it.  I don't even like talking that much anymore because of that specifically.

I'm never one to hold onto old-fashioned technology for nostalgia's sake, but these last few years, I am becoming that way it seems.  Maybe it's just me, but I respond much better to mechanical technology that digital.  I like gears, metal parts, levers, buttons...mechanical devices feel much more human.  There's something very unsatisfying about touchscreens, wireless anythings.  If you remove the convenience they offer and just think about how it feels to you, you'll feel how unsatisfying it is.

Bobby Fischer's last words were:
"Nothing is as healing as the human touch."

I would agree. The more we move away from that with our technology, the less satisfying it will be to use.  I'm sure things will be much more convenient and progressive, but we're going to lose that feel-goodedness about it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version