Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site August 01, 2014, 11:02:22 AM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

View the new Member Awards and Badges page.

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: OpenFreely warning  (Read 5348 times)
cmpm
Charter Member

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« on: September 04, 2011, 05:12:18 PM »

http://www.openfreely.com/

Looks like a nice program, no ads or changing homepage or added toolbars.

But after installing it takes over as file associations for zip, music and video,
without asking. Maybe more, I did not check.
Now I may have missed a click during install, but I'm usually very careful about that.
And always use custom install when available to see my choices.

I know we don't have a complaint section, but a popular site has this posted.
So I thought it best to warn ya, noticed it when I looked at my zip files.
OpenFreely's icon was on them all, I didn't unzip to see how well it does with zip files.
I just uninstalled it. And had to do a system restore.

And it does install it's own mpc, included in an outdated version of klite.
Noticed it being installed while watching the list fly by during installation.

http://www.openfreely.com/

I think it would be a good program if it did not take over everything like it did.
Curt
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2011, 05:39:03 PM »

Quote from: OpenFreely
OpenFreely.com was founded in 2011 and is owned-and-operated by Download Freely, LLC. We are located in New York, New York and strive to deliver a high quality product which will help users open, view, edit, and print various file types on their Windows computer. Our users range from organizations to government agencies, Fortune 500 companies and even your "mom and pop" store down the street. Our software has been downloaded by millions of happy users

what an incredible success in less than 8 months.... actually it may have happened in just 3 weeks!!! - their terms are from 12. August 2011...

But hey, the program may be just fine ;-)
PhilB66
Supporting Member

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2011, 06:07:52 PM »

Just check this out:

FreeOpener 1.0.1.0
http://www.freeopener.com/

Free File Opener 2011
http://www.freefileopener.com/

Free File Viewer 2011
http://www.freefileviewer.com/

Ultimate File Viewer
http://www.ultimatefileviewer.com/

The same software under different theme and using different names. After doing some research I found that the company behind all this poorly coded stuff is Bitberry Software ApS owner of Trusted Software a website that rips-off Open Source software like GIMP, VideoLan than bundle it with InstallIQ.

(source Neowin)
cmpm
Charter Member

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2011, 08:24:01 PM »

Thanks for researching this further.
I think some sites post things without fully investigating them first.
Of course the blame is on me, for what I install without looking into it further.
I suspected trouble when I saw klite and mpc and codecs being installed during the install.
Good thing I uninstalled it right after the install I think.
Down the road it could screw up a lot of stuff.
I'm still not sure if all my associations are back to where I had them.
Cause I don't know what it did fully.
As I open stuff I'll find out. Easy enough to reset then.

I used Revo Pro to remove it, and there was a lot in the registry.
Then searched for files, but haven't found any other leftovers.
techidave
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2012, 06:32:37 AM »

Whoopse!  I just d/l it today.  Wished I would have looked here to see if there was anything on this before installing it.  Oh well, time to break out Revo and hope for the best.   Wink
techidave
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2012, 06:36:11 AM »

Revo found no leftover files but it only did a moderate scan.
40hz
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2012, 08:03:04 AM »

OpenFreely]OpenFreely.com was founded in 2011 and is owned-and-operated by Download Freely, LLC. We are located in New York, New York and strive to deliver a high quality product which will help users open, view, edit, and print various file types on their Windows computer. Our users range from organizations to government agencies, Fortune 500 companies and even your "mom and pop" store down the street. Our software has been downloaded by millions of happy users

FWIW Download Freely, LLC is not listed as a limited liability company operating in New York per the State's corporate records office. They have no listing for that entity.

Maybe they'll want to get registered (and legal) with New York State if they're doing so much business out of there?  smiley

Don't you see? It's turtles all the way down!
CCpotter
Participant

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2012, 01:23:15 AM »

Actually, i really love this program, it can open files in dozens of formats like Office documents, audio files and video files. I remember the first time i hear about it is for searching a PDF reader...  

But indeed there are their icons on many files, also on wav files as a plus.

Not sure if that's good or nor...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.033s | Server load: 0.18 ]