ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > N.A.N.Y. 2012

NANY 2012 Release: Ethervane Echo

<< < (52/63) > >>

robbero:
I still have troubles in ethervane echo.

- It does not minimize at startup even when minimized at startup is enable (please see attachment)
- It does not show the right icon when I'm not connected to the clipboard (please see attachment)
  (ethervane echo is not connteted to the clipboard but the tray icon show that it is connected)

DanWilson:
I may have a bug in my Ethervane Echo program. When I click certain clips, the clip does not move to the clipboard. Instead, I get a message in the bottom right hand part of the window chrome saying "Can not load clip from database".

I reinstalled the program today and this did not help the issue.
I am using 1.1.1 Build 122 (Stable)

Check the Attachment for specifics:

tranglos:
I may have a bug in my Ethervane Echo program. When I click certain clips, the clip does not move to the clipboard. Instead, I get a message in the bottom right hand part of the window chrome saying "Can not load clip from database".
-DanWilson (March 19, 2012, 02:30 PM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks, Dan. This shouldn't ever happen. The error would imply that something is wrong with the database - there are some clips which are listed in the main table but are missing their actual data (in another table). I'll investigate.

Does it always occur with the same clips? For example, after the error occurs once, if you restart Echo and re-try the same clip, does it happen again, or is the clip copied?

Is there anything characteristic about these clips? (Only short clips, only new ones, only from Firefox - anything like that)?

Was there a situation where Echo crashed or was forcibly closed, for example during database maintenance? That should not really cause the error you are experiencing, because all db operations are transacted, but it's my only guess at the moment. Since all operations are performed in transactions, the db should never lose consistency like this, but clearly this has just happened.

(If the database doesn't contain anything very personal, you could email the db file to me at marek  @  tranglos    com. That way I could see if the database is missing the clip data as I suspect. Or you could of course remove any personal data from the db and use Tools -> Maintain database to compact it, as long as the db still contains some clips that won't load.)

DanWilson:
It seems to happen with the same clip. Restarting the app does not seem to help, neither does uninstalling/reinstalling.

I even deleted the clip, then recopied it into the clipboard but I got the same error. I'll email you the same database.

tranglos:
I even deleted the clip, then recopied it into the clipboard but I got the same error. I'll email you the same database.
-DanWilson (March 19, 2012, 09:33 PM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks for the database, it helps a lot. I can confirm your observations as well as my initial suspicion.

Some clips in the database have one of two problems:

(a) the main clip entry exists, so that the clip is displayed, but there is no actual data for the clip (the clipboard formats), i.e. Echo has nothing to put on clipboard.

(b) the main clip entry exists,  and some of its data exists, but the database has the clip's data only in HTML format (or only the rich text format). These clips can be copied (no error message in the status line), but they cannot be edited (there will be an additional error message if you try) and are therefore nearly useless as well.

As to why the database is in this state, I don't know yet. Echo requires that at least the plain text format or unicode text format is present for each clip. These formats cannot be deleted in the configuration and are always stored. If at least one of these two formats is not present, Echo will not even store such a clip in the database. In addition, these formats had to be present when Echo captured these clips, because without them Echo would not be able to display the clips in the list - and it does that.

This tells me that the clips are captured correctly, otherwise they could not even be displayed. Something happens later that causes those required formats to be removed, after which the clips become unusable.

One possibility is that there is a bug in the database maintenance routines (they changed somewhat in the current version). Perhaps Echo is deleting certain data it should not be deleting. I will recheck my sql code and will report of I find anything else.

I'm afraid the clips that won't load cannot be salvaged, as their data doesn't exist in the database. For the moment, I suggest that you disable database maintenance entirely to prevent any more clips from losing their data: Tools -> Preferences -> Database maintenance, and set AutomaticMaintenance to False. This means the clips will accumulate for a while, but this should not be a problem for at least several weeks. (You can always delete excess clips manually if you like, just as long as you don't use the Database Maintenance feature).

Meanwhile, I will try to find a fix asap.

I am also puzzled by this:

--- End quote ---

If you tried to capture the same clip without deleting it first, then Echo might ignore it as a duplicate (depending on settings), so that the missing clip would still be missing. But if you physically deleted the clip before capturing it again, then the clip should be stored in full and behave correctly immediately after capturing. Can you please confirm that this is not the case?

A bug in the db maintenance cannot explain this last behavior, since the maintenance has to be performed for the bug to show up.

So the most important question right now is: does the bug (cannot load a clip) occur immediately after the clip has been captured? Or does it only occur at some later time (perhaps after Echo has performed db maintenance)?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version