topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 6:50 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: NANY 2012 Release: Ethervane Echo  (Read 291273 times)

tranglos

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: NANY 2012 Release: Ethervane Echo
« Reply #225 on: February 20, 2012, 09:13 PM »
That last history writeup was messy, so here's the essence:

• Keyboard shortcut to toggle the "stay on top" Ctrl+Y.
  • Global hotkey to connect/disconnect from clipboard: Shift+Win+]. Disabled by default.
  • If you typically keep Echo open and on-top of other windows (rather than hidden in the tray), you may like the new option at Preferences -> Pasting clips -> FinalWindowAction. If you set it to waRestore, Echo will restore itself after it has minimized in order to paste the clip into another application.
  • Related to the above, if choose to keep Echo always on top of other windows, Echo will no longer minimize when you switch to another application, even if the MinimizeOnDeactivate option is enabled. It just makes sense this way. Thanks, Robbero!
  • There is now an option to tell Echo not to capture clips from itself - for example, when you copy text in the clip editor. Preferences -> Capturing clips -> IgnoreFromSelf.
  • New action was added in the Database Maintenance dialog: Refresh clip data. Use it after you have increased or decreased the MaxDispTextSize setting, so that Echo will update the database to match this setting. This takes quite a long time, because Echo must load and examine every clip. Totally optional; it just makes the database fully consistent with that important setting.

« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 05:07 AM by tranglos »

mentallo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #226 on: February 21, 2012, 01:09 AM »
Not sure if this has been requested yet but I would like to be able to configure a sound file to play when a new clip was successfully added. I know this might be a little silly for some I need that reassurance without having to open the window to see my clip is there. I would really appreciate it :)

robbero

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #227 on: February 21, 2012, 01:51 AM »
thank you tranglos.
Great release.

it does what it has to do.
great also the keyboard shortcut stay on top as the global hotkey.

Just maybe for another release..
you can't click direct on an item when ethervane echo has not the focus:
The first click gives the focus back and selects the first item then the 2nd click is the item I need.
Maybe you can give the focus back immediately on the item I click (the item I want to copy or paste).
It gives also a problem pasting clips. p.e. when an external application has the focus and I want to clip an item from Ethervane Echo and I double click p.e. the 4th item, the 1st item will be pasted.

I noted something strange.
When FinalWindowAction is set to waRestore
When "Stay on top" is disabled and
When minimizeondeactivate is set to true,
Ethervane Echo restores itself after clipping and immediately hide again.

I noted also that
When "Stay on top" is enabled and
after pasting a clip (double click on item) and then copying a text in an external application ethervane echo doesn't clip the item.

Thanks again for the great release.

« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 02:18 AM by robbero »

tranglos

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #228 on: February 21, 2012, 07:00 AM »
Not sure if this has been requested yet but I would like to be able to configure a sound file to play when a new clip was successfully added. I know this might be a little silly for some I need that reassurance without having to open the window to see my clip is there. I would really appreciate it :)

I'll see about playing a system sound. Meanwhile, in order to have assurance, you can enable the "balloon" notifications: Tools -> Preferences -> Display. Near the bottom you'll find an option called TrayMsgsToSkip. By default it includes capture notifications, so that Echo does not bother you with a notification at every capture.

So open the branch at TrayMsgsToSkip, and you'll see that for "tnCapture" it reads "True". Change the setting to False, so that these messages will not be skipped.

tray-msgs.pngNANY 2012 Release: Ethervane Echo

Now Echo will pop-up a tray notification balloon every time it captures a clip.

tranglos

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #229 on: February 21, 2012, 07:17 AM »
you can't click direct on an item when ethervane echo has not the focus:
The first click gives the focus back and selects the first item then the 2nd click is the item I need.
Maybe you can give the focus back immediately on the item I click (the item I want to copy or paste).
It gives also a problem pasting clips. p.e. when an external application has the focus and I want to clip an item from Ethervane Echo and I double click p.e. the 4th item, the 1st item will be pasted.

I can't confirm this. Does this happen with the same configuration settings as you describe below?

I noted something strange.
When "Stay on top" is disabled and
Ethervane Echo restores itself after clipping and immediately hide again.

That's because minimizeondeactivate is set to true. I'm sorry, it cannot work both ways at the same time. With that configuration, you are telling Echo to restore itself after pasting but also to minimize when it is not active. And, after pasting it is not active, as it shouldn't be, because you are working in some other application (the one into which you pasted a clip). The settings to stay on top and to restore after pasting only make sense when minimizeondeactivate is false.

When "Stay on top" is enabled and
after pasting a clip (double click on item) and then copying a text in an external application ethervane echo doesn't clip the item.

Actually, the clip is captured, it just doesn't appear in the list. (Check it by switching to another view and back.) Echo just doesn't refresh the view, because it thinks it does not have to, because minimizeondeactivate is set to true :-)

joiwind

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • carpe momentum
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #230 on: February 21, 2012, 07:37 AM »
Just to say thanks tranglos for the new version and the changes and additions  :)

robbero

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #231 on: February 21, 2012, 10:46 AM »
I can't confirm this. Does this happen with the same configuration settings as you describe below?

Yes, it does so only the first time after copying a text, clicking in notepad to put the cursor where to paste and then double click on the 2nd item or after. It paste the 1st item.

That's because minimizeondeactivate is set to true. I'm sorry, it cannot work both ways at the same time. With that configuration, you are telling Echo to restore itself after pasting but also to minimize when it is not active. And, after pasting it is not active, as it shouldn't be, because you are working in some other application (the one into which you pasted a clip). The settings to stay on top and to restore after pasting only make sense when minimizeondeactivate is false.

MinimizeOnDeactivate must not work for a window what is set on top.
waRestore must not work when a window is NOT set op top.

Actually, the clip is captured, it just doesn't appear in the list. (Check it by switching to another view and back.) Echo just doesn't refresh the view, because it thinks it does not have to, because minimizeondeactivate is set to true :-)

Same as above:
MinimizeOnDeactivate must i.m.o. not work for a window what is set on top.

Indeed when I first click in the window of Ether. echo and then copy text the clips are visible added.

mentallo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #232 on: February 21, 2012, 10:30 PM »
Is there a way to remove the Taskbar icon?

tranglos

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #233 on: February 22, 2012, 06:54 AM »
Is there a way to remove the Taskbar icon?

No, not entirely. The taskbar icon disappear when Echo minimizes to the tray:
Tools -> Preferences -> Display -> HideoTray (set to True).

But when Echo is restored, the taskbar icon will appear.

mentallo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #234 on: February 22, 2012, 01:14 PM »
The taskbar icon does NOT disappear for me even when the app is minimized. I have the setting set to True for "HideToTray".

tranglos

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #235 on: February 22, 2012, 01:19 PM »
The taskbar icon does NOT disappear for me even when the app is minimized. I have the setting set to True for "HideToTray".

What version of Windows? 32 or 64 bit?

Can anyone else confirm it, please? It works for me on Win7 32-bit. It can't see why Windows would not respect ShowWindow() with sw_Hide parameter.

mentallo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #236 on: February 22, 2012, 01:19 PM »
I'm running Win 7 32

robbero

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #237 on: February 23, 2012, 01:40 AM »
I did (a) + (b) but eth.echo doesn't minimize anymore at startup.

Dang, I'm drawing a blank here. Which version of Windows? Could you try using only (a), not (b) - or not both at the same time, anyway?

On my system Echo's internal option to minimize on startup works regardless of all the other settings, like stay on top or minimize on deactivate. I'll re-check the code, but right now I've no idea what could be going wrong.

It now works like a charm!

This setting did the trick:
Right-click the shortcut, select Properties, and in the "Run" (or "Run as", not sure what the English version of Windows says) select "Minimized".

It was not set correct last time.
Thanks for all.

mentallo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #238 on: February 23, 2012, 08:53 PM »
Great. Works now. Thanks so much :)

robbero

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #239 on: February 24, 2012, 12:53 AM »
Today it started again not minimized. :(
Don't know what the problem is.
Is the reason that "Keep on top of other Windows" is active?

I also noted that Eth.Echo starts with the wrong icon.
I have Preferences --> ConnectToClipboard set to False
but at windows startup the icon is the one without red cross.
(but Eth. is not connected to clipboard)

sakiskom

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #240 on: March 01, 2012, 03:53 AM »
I find this SW just now. Nice utility!  ;D
I have a question... the "quick views" tab bar, can i put it to upper side, down to menu?

joiwind

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • carpe momentum
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #241 on: March 01, 2012, 06:24 AM »
I find this SW just now. Nice utility!  ;D
I have a question... the "quick views" tab bar, can i put it to upper side, down to menu?

Hi, go to Preferences (F5) then Display then right down at the bottom of the list look for ViewTabsPosition and on the right on that line change to "epTop" then Apply and OK.

tranglos

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #242 on: March 01, 2012, 02:20 PM »
Thanks, joiwind! :-)

JeremyWW

• Participant
  • Joined in 2012
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #243 on: March 01, 2012, 03:58 PM »
Sorry, I think I posted in the wrong place before so this is a double post but hopefully now where it should be...?

Hi,

New to Ethervane Echo. Prefer the interface to Ditto - much clearer, and the tabs are excellent. Also love the fact that if a clip is sticky it cannot be deleted - which it can in Ditto.

I run an application called 'Stickies' which is a very well known , very popular desktop sticky / notes application. However whereas Ditto will paste directly into a desktop 'sticky' note, EE will not - other than using a 'manual' Ctrl-V. Any thoughts on that?

Things I do miss from Ditto:

The ability to close the main window to the system tray using the X. Seems that isn't possible with EE and I've closed it completely by accident a few times this evening.

And ummm...images. I understand why they're not covered by EE but, for example, my daughter uses this extensively in her college work copying multiple image 'snippets' from the web to put into her assignment documents. Would it not be possible / acceptable to include the functionality in EE even if it's turned off by default?

Oh....and I can't get the English UK spell checking to work. EE can't find the dictionary...

tranglos

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #244 on: March 01, 2012, 06:17 PM »
Sorry, I think I posted in the wrong place before so this is a double post but hopefully now where it should be...?

I run an application called 'Stickies' which is a very well known , very popular desktop sticky / notes application. However whereas Ditto will paste directly into a desktop 'sticky' note, EE will not - other than using a 'manual' Ctrl-V. Any thoughts on that?

(a) Can you give me the link for this application? I'd have to run it to see what happens. There are several reasons pasting might not work.

(b) When you paste in Stickies, does it work with Ctrl+V and Shift+Insert? Or only one of these key combinations?

(c) Try: Tools -> Preferences -> Pasting clips -> PasteMethod. By default this is set to Ctrl+V. Try changing it to Shift+Insert and see if it helps. (Although this might affect other applications).

The ability to close the main window to the system tray using the X. Seems that isn't possible with EE and I've closed it completely by accident a few times this evening.

This was added in one of the recent versions: Tools -> Preferences -> Display -> MinimizeOnCloseButton -> set it to True. However, remember that Echo will minimize whenever you click outside of it (or switch to another application). In practice, there is almost never any need to minimize Echo manually, it will minimize itself if you allow it.

And ummm...images. I understand why they're not covered by EE but, for example, my daughter uses this extensively in her college work copying multiple image 'snippets' from the web to put into her assignment documents. Would it not be possible / acceptable to include the functionality in EE even if it's turned off by default?

I'm sorry, but no. There's Ditto and other clipboard extenders that handle images. I wrote Echo specifically for text. It is not a feature I could just add, it was a basic design decision.

Oh....and I can't get the English UK spell checking to work. EE can't find the dictionary...

(a) Are you using the standard or portable version? (Or have you changed from one to the other?)

(b) Does Echo display any other dictionaries (US English, for example)? Or are no dictionaries available at all?

(c) Click Tools -> Database information, and scroll down to the bottom. Near the end of the list you'll see "Spelling dictionary folders". There should be one or two directories listed there. Check if these directories exist and if they contain the dictionaries. If not, you can download and install the dictionaries separately on the Echo download page.

« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 08:59 PM by tranglos »

sakiskom

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #245 on: March 01, 2012, 08:45 PM »
Hi, go to Preferences (F5) then Display then right down at the bottom of the list look for ViewTabsPosition and on the right on that line change to "epTop" then Apply and
OK, i find it! :)
And a second question... can i make the "quick views" tabs, bigger? I find many settings and change it, but i don't find that :tellme:

tranglos

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #246 on: March 01, 2012, 08:57 PM »
And a second question... can i make the "quick views" tabs, bigger? I find many settings and change it, but i don't find that :tellme:

No, I'm afraid not. The tabs size automatically to fit the labels. I could set them to a fixed width, but then they may be too short if a view has a longer name.

JeremyWW

• Participant
  • Joined in 2012
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #247 on: March 02, 2012, 05:14 AM »
(a) Can you give me the link for this application? I'd have to run it to see what happens. There are several reasons pasting might not work.

http://www.zhornsoftware.co.uk/stickies/

(b) When you paste in Stickies, does it work with Ctrl+V and Shift+Insert? Or only one of these key combinations?

Works with both.

(c) Try: Tools -> Preferences -> Pasting clips -> PasteMethod. By default this is set to Ctrl+V. Try changing it to Shift+Insert and see if it helps. (Although this might affect other applications).

Tried that. Makes no difference. No kind of 'Quick Paste' works to a desktop 'sticky note'. How is it working with Ditto?

This was added in one of the recent versions: Tools -> Preferences -> Display -> MinimizeOnCloseButton -> set it to True. However, remember that Echo will minimize whenever you click outside of it (or switch to another application). In practice, there is almost never any need to minimize Echo manually, it will minimize itself if you allow it.

Found it. Don't know how I missed it!

(a) Are you using the standard or portable version? (Or have you changed from one to the other?)

Standard on Win 7 Pro X64. Standard version is all I've used.

(b) Does Echo display any other dictionaries (US English, for example)? Or are no dictionaries available at all?

Spell checking while editing simply produces an error pop-up that tells me 'No Spelling dictionaries are available...' On installing EE initially I chose English (UK) and un-ticked the other 2 languages. In the Spellchecker section in Preferences it showed 'Last Language' as being English (US). After using the separate spell-checker installer the Spellchecker section appears as in my screen-shot here - no 'LastLanguage' and no 'DictionaryPath'. Changing the 'DictionaryPath' to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Ethervane\Common\Spell" (which is where the English (UK).adm file is) makes no difference. It still doesn't work, with the same error as above.

(c) Click Tools -> Database information, and scroll down to the bottom. Near the end of the list you'll see "Spelling dictionary folders". There should be one or two directories listed there. Check if these directories exist and if they contain the dictionaries. If not, you can download and install the dictionaries separately on the Echo download page.

My second screen-shot shows you what's there. Both exist, except that the 'second part' of the 'Spelling Dictionary Folders' path (C:\Program Files (x86)\Ethervane\Echo) does not contain any dictionary related information that I can see.

tranglos

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #248 on: March 02, 2012, 11:30 AM »
http://www.zhornsoftware.co.uk/stickies/

I can confirm it doesn't work. Stickes seems to be doing something special with its windows - unlike normal application windows, they do not acquire focus when they become "uncovered", and without focus they cannot receive input.

Here's a simple experiment:

• Start Word. It will have focus.
  • Start Notepad. Word will now lose focus, and you can type in Notepad.
  • Minimize Notepad.
  • Word will now have focus again, you don't have to click it before you can start typing in Word again.

Now if you try the same with Stickes instead of Word, you'll see that in step 4 after you minimize Notepad, you still cannot type in Stickies. You have to click one of the notes first. This is why when Echo tries to paste the clip, Stickies does not "get the message" (figuratively and literally both).

Spell checking while editing simply produces an error pop-up that tells me 'No Spelling dictionaries are available...' On installing EE initially I chose English (UK) and un-ticked the other 2 languages. In the Spellchecker section in Preferences it showed 'Last Language' as being English (US). After using the separate spell-checker installer the Spellchecker section appears as in my screen-shot here - no 'LastLanguage' and no 'DictionaryPath'. Changing the 'DictionaryPath' to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Ethervane\Common\Spell" (which is where the English (UK).adm file is) makes no difference. It still doesn't work, with the same error as above.

The "DictionaryPath" option is only used to add a custom dictionary folder to other folders Echo already checks for dictionaries. It's OK to use it as you did, but it should not be necessary.

Please check if the UK dictionary (English (UK).adm) exists in any of the folders listed in "Database information".  I have attached the UK dictionary to this message. You can unzip it and copy it into that folder, then restart Echo.

One more thing: did you select the UK dictionary in the list, in the editor dialog box? Since originally there were no dictionaries, the "last language" option is empty, and no dictionary is selected by default. If you click the list at the top of the dialog box, the UK dictionary should be listed there. Perhaps all you need to do is to select the dictionary in the list.

In the next release I'll make sure to pick a dictionary automatically if only one is available.

« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 12:46 PM by tranglos »

sakiskom

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #249 on: March 02, 2012, 08:20 PM »
The tabs size automatically to fit the labels. I could set them to a fixed width, but then they may be too short if a view has a longer name.
If you have the option to change manualy the font type and size from the labels, and then the tabs automatically fit to the fonts? :-[