ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > N.A.N.Y. 2012

NANY 2012 Release: Ethervane Echo

<< < (13/63) > >>

cranioscopical:
^+1

highend01:
May I ask a few questions / make some suggestions?

1. How do I start the portable edition autominimized to tray?
 I have set StartMinimized (Startup behavior) to true (and ofc quit and restarted Echo afterwards) but the main window will always appear on screen when I start it.

2. Is there a way to use the InMemoryDatabase option without populating the first clipboard entry with www.ethervane.com after each start?

3. Could you please add an option that allows us to enter a number between 0 and 9 to paste entry id 1, two, ..., 10 to the current application instead of selecting e.g. the fifth entry by going down with the cursor down key 4 times? Optionally with the shift modifier to paste them as plain text?
Ofc there should be some kind of override option so that any of these numbers doesn't trigger the search function.

Tia,
highend

paulobrabo:
Tranglos,

This is just to say thank you. This is so elegant indeed; such a handsome UI and a perfectly flowing experience. Instant favorite, using it everywhere.

Paulo

CWuestefeld:
I just tried this, and I think you've done a great job. But, because I can never keep my mouth shut, I'd like to offer a couple of comments.

First, the default filter for the URLs view really ought to have a second pattern added so that it also matches on secure sites. So there should be two filters: "http://" and "https://".

Second, I wish there was an option for a single keystroke to paste as text. I see that I can bring up the window, and then Shift-Enter to paste text only. But it would save me a fraction of a second ;) if I had a direct hotkey for "paste as text" so I don't need to open the window first.

tranglos:
1. How do I start the portable edition autominimized to tray?
 I have set StartMinimized (Startup behavior) to true (and ofc quit and restarted Echo afterwards) but the main window will always appear on screen when I start it.-highend01 (November 16, 2011, 04:45 PM)
--- End quote ---

Let me check this. Do you use the (default) option to automatically minimize Echo when it loses focus? (This option is at Preferences -> Display -> MinimizeOnDecativate). If you do, Echo should minimize on startup regardless of StartMinimized, due to the fact that when Windows starts applications, Echo is very likely to lose focus soon after Windows has launched it.

I'll have to trace the behavior of StartMinimized and see if it's going wrong somewhere.

2. Is there a way to use the InMemoryDatabase option without populating the first clipboard entry with www.ethervane.com after each start?
--- End quote ---

Yes, that is a separate setting: Preferences -> Capturing Clips -> CatchUpOnConnect.
(This setting is independent of in-memory database, it just causes Echo to capture whatever is on the clipboard when Echo starts. Useful for those who may prefer to start Echo manually and sometimes forget to do so :-) )

3. Could you please add an option that allows us to enter a number between 0 and 9 to paste entry id 1, two, ..., 10 to the current application instead of selecting e.g. the fifth entry by going down with the cursor down key 4 times? Optionally with the shift modifier to paste them as plain text?
Ofc there should be some kind of override option so that any of these numbers doesn't trigger the search function.
--- End quote ---

I know I should do this, but I don't think it's going to be just digits. Exactly as you described, there would have to be two "modes": mode A, in which digits are interpreted as search characters, and mode B, where digits are used to paste. I think this is a wrong design, because no matter how clear an indication, you'll always be unsure and always double-checking what the current mode is. And, pressing a digit key in the wrong mode would be a source of endless annoyance (especially if Echo pastes instead of searching - everybody would hate that for a good reason).

So there needs to be a modifier, and it cannot be SHIFT, because Shift+digit is another character, which also goes into the search box. That leaves Alt and Ctrl, both of which are already used (Ctrl+digit changes the view; Alt+digit changes sorting). What I can do is add a less convenient modifier such as Ctrl+Alt, and let users choose which modifier does what. Then you could assign the most convenient modifier key to the feature you use most.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version