topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Monday March 18, 2024, 11:26 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: NANY 2012 Release: Ethervane Echo  (Read 291210 times)

bob99

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: NANY 2012 Release: Ethervane Echo
« Reply #175 on: January 28, 2012, 01:54 PM »
I'm using the latest Version 1.0.6.110 and have a question about deleting a clip.  If I have a clip highlighted and delete using the keyboard or the context menu with the mouse it's gone.  There is no confirmation whether I would like to delete the clip.  I checked the preferences and Prompting > BeforeDeletingClips is set to True.  Also tried changing it to False just in case.  Same thing.  No confirmation.  Is there another setting I need to change or look at so I get a confirmation?

Also, is there any type of listing that tells what all of the individual preferences settings do?  I've figured out some of them or read in earlier posts what others do.  Chances are I won't use many of them, more of a learning experience for me.

Thanks,

tranglos

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #176 on: January 28, 2012, 03:40 PM »
I'm using the latest Version 1.0.6.110 and have a question about deleting a clip.  If I have a clip highlighted and delete using the keyboard or the context menu with the mouse it's gone.  There is no confirmation whether I would like to delete the clip.  I checked the preferences and Prompting > BeforeDeletingClips is set to True. 

By default, Echo only prompts if you are deleting 10 clips or more. You can reduce that number to 1, so that Echo will always prompt:

Preferences -> Prompting -> ClipDeleteTrigger

Also, is there any type of listing that tells what all of the individual preferences settings do?  I've figured out some of them or read in earlier posts what others do.  Chances are I won't use many of them, more of a learning experience for me.

I know, my fault. This is the one help topic that I have not completed yet.  At the moment there is no complete description. (Originally that Preferences dialog was supposed to be only temporary, so I put off documenting it until I had the final design.) For now, please ask here, I will reply to all questions.

nsathishk

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Ditto Quick paste
« Reply #177 on: January 28, 2012, 03:46 PM »
After using Echo for only a short time, I was pleasantly surprised by the better design of Echo over Ditto.
One of my favorite features in Ditto is naming clips with quick paste text and searching them using /q.  I am unsure if this feature is already available in Echo but please consider adding it.

tranglos

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #178 on: January 28, 2012, 03:54 PM »
One of my favorite features in Ditto is naming clips with quick paste text and searching them using /q.  I am unsure if this feature is already available in Echo but please consider adding it.

Not available yet. I am considering something like it - an ability to assign names or tags to clips - but I need to find a way of implementing it without disturbing the basic design of the app. I've posted some thoughts on it earlier on in this thread, for example here and here.

It's not likely to happen very soon, but it *is* on the wish list.

bob99

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #179 on: January 29, 2012, 11:54 AM »
By default, Echo only prompts if you are deleting 10 clips or more. You can reduce that number to 1, so that Echo will always prompt:

Preferences -> Prompting -> ClipDeleteTrigger

Yep, that did it. Thanks. :Thmbsup: Now I don't have to worry about hitting delete by accident.

There are a couple of other things I'm wondering but will check through the previous posts and help 1st.  If I'd have looked at the help I'd have known about the trigger. :-[

By chance is there a pdf of the help?
« Last Edit: January 29, 2012, 11:55 AM by bob99, Reason: Added question »

tranglos

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #180 on: January 29, 2012, 12:09 PM »
By chance is there a pdf of the help?

Why not :-) 

Download the PDF here.

bob99

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #181 on: January 29, 2012, 12:43 PM »

Wow, I wasn't expecting it to be so professional looking on such short notice.
This is great! Again I thank you.

kyrathaba

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #182 on: January 29, 2012, 04:02 PM »

In my experience, everything related to one of tranglos' apps looks slick/professional.

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #183 on: January 29, 2012, 05:04 PM »
[ Invalid Attachment ]
So you're an outlaw who's mental?

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #184 on: January 29, 2012, 05:40 PM »

In my experience, everything related to one of tranglos' apps looks slick/professional.
Agreed.  His programs have always been very "kind" for the users.  One of my favorite programmers for many years now.

kyrathaba

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #185 on: January 29, 2012, 07:39 PM »
So you're an outlaw who's mental?

Or at least a "mentally challenged" outlaw  :P

bob99

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #186 on: January 31, 2012, 07:36 AM »

I totally agree!  I just wasn't expecting it to be so "slick/professional" in the short amount of time after I asked if it was available.  Almost like he was a mind reader... or is he?

tranglos

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #187 on: February 02, 2012, 09:39 AM »
I totally agree!  I just wasn't expecting it to be so "slick/professional" in the short amount of time after I asked if it was available. 

Okay, now is my face is red! The PDF is just a click of a button in Help and Manual, really :)

Meanwhile, a new release is coming with some more requests implemented around the clip editor. Among other things, Echo can now keep capturing clips when the editor dialog is open. And the editor now has a "Save as a new clip" button, which does just that.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #188 on: February 02, 2012, 10:42 AM »
I totally agree!  I just wasn't expecting it to be so "slick/professional" in the short amount of time after I asked if it was available. 

Okay, now is my face is red! The PDF is just a click of a button in Help and Manual, really :)

Meanwhile, a new release is coming with some more requests implemented around the clip editor. Among other things, Echo can now keep capturing clips when the editor dialog is open. And the editor now has a "Save as a new clip" button, which does just that.

shhh!!  Don't give away your secrets!  It's all voodoo and wizardry to us.

tranglos

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #189 on: February 03, 2012, 01:15 PM »
New PREVIEW release February 03! (Version 1.0.7 build 116)

This is not an official release (so no link at the top of this thread). This one is primarily for testing, since I've made quite a lot of internal changes to accommodate a few recent requests. Changes in this release are all about editing clips. The download link is at the bottom, please read about the changes first :-)

(Stable release available, see below.)
« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 05:45 PM by tranglos »

Pnikosis

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • indi.solubl.es
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #190 on: February 07, 2012, 10:25 AM »
Just came here to thank you. I've been using Ditto for years, and finally I found the perfect replacement... There are too many features I love, so thanks a lot.

migounanounet

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #191 on: February 10, 2012, 10:11 PM »
Hi,

First thanx for this wonderful soft.

I'd like to know if it's possible to introduce regular expression in Quick View Filters?
In my case, I'd like to remind IPs for example...

Sascha

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #192 on: February 11, 2012, 02:07 PM »
I'd like to know if it's possible to introduce regular expression in Quick View Filters?
Yeah - that would be nice!

I use the library from the PowerGrep-Makers for my projects:

http://www.regular-e...ons.info/delphi.html

tranglos

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #193 on: February 11, 2012, 07:50 PM »
In my case, I'd like to remind IPs for example...

I was hoping it wouldn't come to that :-) Yes, I can add regular expressions; I'm just not certain how it will affect performance when generating a view. SQLite does not have its own regex engine and it relies on callbacks instead. So it will trigger a separate callback for each record in the database - that's in addition to evaluating the regex. We'll see how that works!

I've been mostly away from DC a few days and will be for a few days more, so please excuse me if I take a while to reply. I'm trying to re-do the website so that Echo has a permanent home, and I just hate doing that (see here, here, here and here). And if you look at the date on these posts, yes, I've been doing that since before 2007. I hope to get something done this year. In fact, I hope to get it done this weekend!

tranglos

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #194 on: February 11, 2012, 07:52 PM »
Just came here to thank you. I've been using Ditto for years, and finally I found the perfect replacement... There are too many features I love, so thanks a lot.

I love when someone says that :-) so thank you! And welcome to DC!

tranglos

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #195 on: February 12, 2012, 05:51 PM »
New release February 12 (Version 1.1.0 build 117)

Echo now has a permanent home. I've been restoring my site at tranglos.com, and that's where Echo lives. (The design is still in flux, and it is certainly not optimal for the task, but after four years of hair-pulling, I've had to decide on something! It's there.) However, I will still be updating this thread and use it for support, so don't go anywhere, Echo fans! :)

See the top post in this thread for download links.

New in this release:

CHANGED: This release uses a different editor control for the "edit clip" dialog. The change was necessary, because the editor I originally used had some random-but-annoying problems with the Addict spellchecker, such as ignoring obvious misspellings, even though they were recognized as such and got the proper red wavy underline. (That editor also has a nagging non-standard behavior when selecting line-wrapped text.) The new editor has an almost identical functionality, with a few minor differences, e.g. no support for marking modified lines. At the moment URL highlighting is not possible either, sorry about that! On the flip side, incremental search is now supported in the editor (press Ctrl+E).

ADDED: Option to automatically mark edited clips as sticky: Preferences -> Editing clips -> MakeEditedClipsSticky. This option is disabled by default.

ADDED: Option to update the date and time of edited clips: Preferences -> Editing clips -> UpdateClipTimestamp. This option is disabled by default.

ADDED: Option to always refresh the current view after editing a clip. Preferences -> Editing clips -> AlwaysRefresh. This option is disabled by default.

Why this may be useful: When you edit a clip, you are changing its text and probably its length as well. Using the other editing-related options, editing a clip may change its timestamp or make it sticky. Depending on what view was active when you started editing the clip, it is possible that after editing, the clip no longer "fits" the view. For example, the view shows only clips shorter than 10 characters, but the edited clip is longer. Or, the view contains only clips with URLs, but you have deleted the URL while editing. By default, when you save the clip, Echo does not refresh the view, so that the clip you were editing remains selected in the view. This seems to be the most natural behavior, but in cases similar to the examples above it may cause the view to show a clip which does not belong. If you enable this option, Echo will always refresh the view when you finish editing a clip; in this case it is possible that the edited clip will "disappear" from view, if it no longer matches its filters. (You can also refresh a view manually at any time by pressing Ctrl+R. Note also that when you use the newly added "Save as New" command, the view will always be refreshed.)

ADDED: In the external editor you can now save the text as a new clip instead of replacing the original. Click the "Save as New" button on the toolbar (or command in the context menu). When you use this function, Echo will always refresh the current view.

ADDED: In the external editor, option to keep the editor open after saving a clip. To enable it, click the Options button and make sure "Close Editor on Save" is unchecked. This way you can continue editing a clip after using the Save or Save as New commands.

ADDED: "Refresh View" command under the View menu (Ctrl+R). You can use it to refresh a view manually, for example if the view was not refreshed after editing clips, and the edited clips may no longer belong in the view (e.g. because their text, date or length has changed).

IMPROVED: When you edit a clip in the external editor, Echo no longer suspends capturing clips. This means Echo can now capture text copied inside the editor as well. (When editing a clip in-place, capturing is still suspended, because new clips cannot be added to the list while the in-place editor is active.)

IMPROVED: Echo now properly restores the selection of multiple clips in some situations, e.g. after using the Copy (Ctrl+C) command.

IMPROVED: Loading clips is now faster and Echo uses less memory to display a view.

FIXED: When a clip was edited and saved, Echo would not update the clip's size on the clip information bar (display only).

« Last Edit: February 13, 2012, 03:05 PM by tranglos »

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #196 on: February 12, 2012, 06:01 PM »
Nice, clean, web site  :Thmbsup:

PhilB66

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #197 on: February 12, 2012, 06:58 PM »
New release February 23! (Version 1.1.0 build 117)
Is it a "back to the future" version?

Nice, clean, web site

Agreed. Well done, tranglos.

tranglos

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #198 on: February 12, 2012, 08:58 PM »

You'll catch up eventually :-)

Nice, clean, web site
Agreed. Well done, tranglos.

Thanks! It better be, after all the time it took!

Next I need to refresh the other apps I've released here on DC, build installers and help files, and then bring back all the vintage stuff from the freezer. Just for kicks - and for those who haven't seen it - this is what websites looked in mid-nineties :-) There should be a museum for such things.

(But it does load about 10 times faster then WordPress.)

tranglos

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #199 on: February 13, 2012, 03:06 PM »

You'll catch up eventually :-)

It was staring me in the face and I didn't get it. February 12, of course. Or 13, where I live. Not 23 at all. Sorry :-)