topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Monday March 18, 2024, 11:06 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: NANY 2012 Release: Ethervane Echo  (Read 291205 times)

tranglos

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: NANY 2012 Release: Ethervane Echo
« Reply #100 on: January 01, 2012, 08:35 PM »
I wrote about it
http://www.rgdot.com...d-clipboard-manager/

Nice review, rgdot, thank you so much!

PhilB66

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #101 on: January 02, 2012, 06:33 AM »
From the Ethervane Spellchecker dictionaries readme.txt:

If you change the default installation folder, Echo will not be able to find the dictionaries, and the spell checkoing feature will be disabled.

May I recommend a spellchecker... :D :P

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #102 on: January 02, 2012, 08:52 AM »
May I recommend a spellchecker... :D :P
Magic!  ;)

(BTW, whatever happened to spelling?)

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #103 on: January 02, 2012, 09:25 AM »
(BTW, whatever happened to spelling?)
-cranioscopical (January 02, 2012, 08:52 AM)
Aaron died a few years ago... :-\

tranglos

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #104 on: January 02, 2012, 10:04 AM »
From the Ethervane Spellchecker dictionaries readme.txt:

Fixed, thanks!

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #105 on: January 02, 2012, 12:26 PM »
Aaron died a few years ago...
You just had to produce her  :o

panzer

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #107 on: January 02, 2012, 01:36 PM »

hangdawg

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #108 on: January 05, 2012, 11:21 PM »
  hi  this is a great clipboard manager  ived tried  plenty of them before this  but is there a setting i  need to change  because if you  right click tray icon and click clear  history  you can no longer click on icon to bring it back up   only way is to click restore  or  exit  the program  and restart it    i do the later as its nice to be able to just click the icon  and is there a option to make the close button to minimize   it   kinda  like  kee pass  does    thanks

tranglos

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #109 on: January 06, 2012, 06:37 AM »
 hi  this is a great clipboard manager  ived tried  plenty of them before this  

Thanks, and welcome to DC!

but is there a setting i  need to change  because if you  right click tray icon and click clear  history  you can no longer click on icon to bring it back up   only way is to click restore  or  exit  the program  and restart it    

There is no "Clear History" command in the icon menu. There is "Clear Clipboard" - is this what's causing the problem you're describing?

What happens when you click the icon afterwards? Nothing at all?

(Remember you can always bring up Echo by pressing ehe activation hotkey, there should be no need to restart. But if I can find a problem with the tray icon, I'll fix it.)

i do the later as its nice to be able to just click the icon  and is there a option to make the close button to minimize   it   kinda  like  kee pass  does    thanks

I am not a big fan of that. I think the close icon should close and the minimize icon should minimize, if you know what I mean :) It's irritating when you try to exit the app and it only minimizes instead.

That said, I don't think it would make a difference in Echo, because Echo will automatically minimize when you switch to another application (or just click anywhere outside it, or press Escape). So instead of clicking the Close icon, it's much easier to just do nothing at all, and Echo will minimize by itself.

kyrathaba

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #110 on: January 06, 2012, 06:41 AM »
hi  this is a great clipboard manager  ived tried  plenty of them before this  but is there a setting i  need to change  because if you  right click tray icon and click clear  history  you can no longer click on icon to bring it back up   only way is to click restore  or  exit  the program  and restart it    i do the later as its nice to be able to just click the icon  and is there a option to make the close button to minimize   it   kinda  like  kee pass  does    thanks

@hangdawg: Welcome to the forum, hangdawg! Ethervane Echo is a great program!

hangdawg

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #111 on: January 06, 2012, 07:30 AM »
 yes its  clear clipboard after clicking it the icon no longer brings it up  ive got to close the program and restart it again  thanks

tranglos

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #112 on: January 06, 2012, 08:52 AM »
yes its  clear clipboard after clicking it the icon no longer brings it up  ive got to close the program and restart it again  thanks

- What version of Windows, please? 32 or 64 bit?

- When the problem happens, can you still bring up Echo using the activation hotkey (Win+Insert by default) and work with Echo normally? This is important, since it would tell me where in Echo the problem may be occurring.

Thanks!

hangdawg

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #113 on: January 06, 2012, 12:36 PM »
  hi tranglos   im using  windows  7  64 bit  sp1    yes  the hot keys bring it up after  clicking clear  clipboard    but the icon stops  bringing it up

after clicking     clear clipboard   have to exit program and restart it   i like being able to just click the icon  its a nice feature  :)

ive tried  at-least 25 clipboard managers in the last week    your is  by far the best  :D   oh  1 more thing clicking  clear clipboard    doesn't clear anything
« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 01:07 PM by hangdawg »

kunkel321

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #114 on: January 06, 2012, 01:51 PM »
Wow this is impressive!   Thanks for making it!   :Thmbsup:  ;D
PS:  It plays nice with Dropbox... Extra points for that!   ;)

hangdawg

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #115 on: January 06, 2012, 11:03 PM »
hi  tranglos  everything works perfectly  now   the only thing i changed is i was coping and pasting from firefox 10 beta   32  bit  i switched  to firefox nightly 12  32 bit   and everything is working perfectly now on  nightly 12  could that somehow be responsible for Echo acting like it was

tranglos

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #116 on: January 07, 2012, 07:19 AM »
hi  tranglos  everything works perfectly  now   the only thing i changed is i was coping and pasting from firefox 10 beta   32  bit  i switched  to firefox nightly 12  32 bit   and everything is working perfectly now on  nightly 12  could that somehow be responsible for Echo acting like it was

That's great news, thanks! I was worried there, because I don't have a 64-bit version of Windows handy to test on. But if that one function were causing problems, than Echo should not work at all, since it does much more extensive work with clipboard than just clearing it :)

hangdawg

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #117 on: January 07, 2012, 09:44 AM »
 hi trangglos yes it works better  but 2 things   i have icon to show all the time  but after logging off and back on the icon is hidden

and also after restarting or logging back in   echo screen pops up for    a second  sometimes in the last position it was in before logging off  sometimes like its heading toward the taskbar  that with your portable version and also the installed version

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #118 on: January 07, 2012, 10:04 AM »
@hangdawg, the icon is automagically hidden on Windows Vista and 7 depending on it's use (click) and 'icon' changes, unless you change that setting yourself. As it's a user-driven feature, that's not normally controlled by an application.

hangdawg

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #119 on: January 07, 2012, 10:31 AM »
  @ath  thats just the thing i set it to always show  but it reverts  to hidden after reboot or logging off or in

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #120 on: January 07, 2012, 10:39 AM »
but it reverts  to hidden after reboot or logging off or in
That's probably something with your Windows setup, I suspect. :-\

I've set it to always show all icons (so I can't verify, but it does get a bit crowded at times, even though I've set the taskbar to double-height).

hangdawg

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #121 on: January 07, 2012, 01:08 PM »
@  ath    its the only icon doing that     my windows  image is pretty prestine   i use clonezilla  to roll  back  and software changes  keeps the registry  clean that way   especially   testing software  :Thmbsup:

rashford

• Participant
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #122 on: January 10, 2012, 08:33 AM »
Great app - it's filled a long-standing need I have for a clipboard extender that doesn't screw up my development environment. I'm running it under Win7, both 32- & 64-bit. I think I've found a problem under 64-bit: the "Short" tab doesn't display any clips, no matter how short. As an experiment, I changed the filter to use "nrGreaterThanOrEqual" instead of "nrLessThanOrEqual", and then all clips were shown, even the very short ones! I haven't used it a lot under 64-bit, so there may be other funnies I haven't come across

I would like to second Tomos' request for an option to minimize to the tray when I hit the Close box - I know I can just click outside the window or hit the Minimize button, but I just can't get out of the habit of hitting Close when I've finished looking at the clips!

tranglos

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #123 on: January 10, 2012, 12:59 PM »
I think I've found a problem under 64-bit: the "Short" tab doesn't display any clips, no matter how short. As an experiment, I changed the filter to use "nrGreaterThanOrEqual" instead of "nrLessThanOrEqual", and then all clips were shown, even the very short ones!

This shouldn't be a 32/64 bit issue, or else there would likely be trouble with all filters. Could you post a screenshot of the Filters tab of the view?

A few things to check:

- is the length filter the only one defined for the view? If it is not, what is the setting of the AND/OR option (match all filters or match any filter)? Filters can be combined, including filters of the same type, but if there was more than one length filter, results might be weird, depending on how the filters are configured.

- is the count value set properly? (just checking ;-)

- is the Reverse option set? (It should not be)

- If you use LessThan (or GreaterThan) instead of the "OrEqual" conditions, does that fix the problem?

I've just configured a new view from scratch, and it correctly shows clips of 10 or fewer characters. Yours should look similar to this:

shortclips.png

I would like to second Tomos' request for an option to minimize to the tray when I hit the Close box - I know I can just click outside the window or hit the Minimize button, but I just can't get out of the habit of hitting Close when I've finished looking at the clips!

Added to the wishlist  :)

Sascha

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #124 on: January 11, 2012, 09:37 AM »
Hey,

really great application - imho better then ditto ;)

(i am using v1.0.4b103 on win xp sp3)

bugs
  • when trying to add cf_dib or other formats to the store-in-echo-list, the application crashes when clicking the ok-button (Error [EEchoInternalError]: TClpFormatRegistry: Clipboard format "cf_dib" (type: System) already exists in the registry)
  • there is no confirmation dialog on deleting items here

feature requests
  • close to tray on pressing the X
  • possibility to configure the directory for saving the database
  • possibility to configure the directory for saving the application-settings (ini)
  • possibility to change shortcuts like F2
  • do not autopaste items on pressing enter - only copy them to the clipboard (like ctrl+shift+c)
  • always show date and time for last saved items instead of e.g. "8 minutes ago"
  • do not block capturing when editing an item internally or externally. sometimes it is useful to capture a part of an existing clip and save it to a new clip

that's it for now
it would be nice if you keep these issues in mind :)

thanks in advance!