topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 3:40 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: custom reminder  (Read 11984 times)

kalos

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
custom reminder
« on: September 02, 2011, 02:38 PM »
hello

I create projects (eg, project1, project2, etc) and I need reminders to notify me to check for each project's progress after an amount of specific days from the start of each project.

To give you an example:

On 1/1/2011 I start project1 and I need to be alerted 2, 7, 14, 30 days after the starting date.

On 3/2/2011 I start project2 and I need to be alerted 1, 5, 9, 20 days after the starting date.

I often start projects like project1 (that need reminder every 2,7,14,30 days) and I often start projects like project2 (that need reminder every 1,5,9,20 days), so I basically need to tell the program that I started a project like project1 and it will generate the apropriate reminders (same goes for other project types, like project2, etc)

any suggestion?

thanks

kalos

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: custom reminder
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2011, 02:18 PM »
anyone???

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2011, 10:30 AM »
Have you done any searches for "task management" and/or "reminder" software?  There are numerous options in these categories that you could use for your purposes.

bob99

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2011, 12:58 PM »
Have you looked at MyLifeOrganized ?
A number of members here have commented on it before.  Search DonationCoder for MyLifeOrganized.

kalos

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2011, 01:56 PM »
I have tried some, unfortunately no one does what I need

in most, you have to set the date of the reminders yourself, while I want the 2nd day, 7nth day, 14nth day reminders to be automatically generated after I specify the begin of the project

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2011, 08:02 PM »
I'd like to think that some task management apps let you set up a sort of recurring profile that would allow you to easily do what you want because the chances of you finding an app that automatically does exactly what you want are very slim.  You're either going to have to do a bit of manual work in an existing program or write your own.  

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2011, 08:21 PM »
@kalos:
A few thoughts from me:
  • I sometimes use Stickies to pop up a reminder note (alarm).    :Thmbsup:
  • @skwire's rather nifty Anuran might be something really useful that you could use under the circumstances you describe.   :Thmbsup:
  • I have requested a new thing for CHS (@mouser's proggy, Clipboard Help & Spell) to implement virtual folder/SQL functionality that will enable a note popup on a date/time alarm, since things I have copied to the clipboard will invariably be things about which I wish to be reminded to do something later, so if I had this feature, then I would not need to have to go to the extra trouble of pasting it into yet another application that will remind me of it. (I detest having to perform what would otherwise be unnecessary duplication.)  :)

Hope these help or are of use.

kalos

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2011, 01:26 PM »
as I see in the screenshots Anuran allows you to set only one specific interval, with no ending point.

ha14

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2011, 02:31 PM »

kalos

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2011, 03:46 PM »
c-organizer pro
http://www.csoftlab.com/

Secure Reminder
http://www.securereminder.com/

thanks but none of this suits

1) they either do not offer ability to set multiple reminders after a starting date, or when they do, the reminders are either daily, weekly, monthly, without the option to set a custom sequence

2) they do not offer the ability to set a starting date and then automatically generate the reminders

bob99

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2011, 04:38 PM »
Possibly VueMinder Calendar Lite or Pro ??

I just updated my pro version and it looks like they have added some nice additional features.
Here is the help file section link for Event Reccurence to check out.
They are also open to suggestions in their forum section.

steeladept

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2011, 07:05 PM »
What do you use now to track this info?  If, for example, you use Outlook you might want to see if anyone makes any calendar add-ons that allow you to do day+x or day-x appointments/reminders.  Don't know if that exists, as I don't use Outlook right now, but I know they have something similar in Lotus Notes that we use at work, so I can't imagine it doesn't exist.  Of course it doesn't mean it will be easy to find either...

Thunderbird/Lightning doesn't have anything to do this that I know of, but I do know that is extensible, so maybe that is another option.  You can even ask the Lightning developer(s) to see if they might be able to point you in the right direction.

kalos

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2011, 01:17 PM »
What do you use now to track this info?

I do it manually!

I tried to find any outlook/thunderbird add-ons with no luck

I mean, eg I want to set reminders at 2nd, 7th, 14th, 21st day after eg. September 14th. How can I get the correct dates in a list? and then somehow import them to the reminder program??

any hint???
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 02:12 PM by kalos »

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2011, 04:24 AM »
@kalos: Sorry not to have mentioned this before, but it slipped my mind until just now when I read your latest comment.

If you use MS Project and MS Outlook, then I think you could be able to set tasks into MS Project's timeline, and send those tasks to the email address of an assigned resource (person) - you, in this case - who is to action those tasks. I think they go into Outlook and should pop up in Outlook as flags/tasks to be completed by the dates specified.

I have not used this facility myself, but I recall reading about the capability several years ago (about 2006) in a manual on advanced usage of MS Project. I was more interested in the capability for resource pooling in MS Project at the time and don't really use Outlook, so it was not of much use to me. MS Project was/is an incredibly complex and powerful planning tool, and it will probably have been improved further since I read about this feature. I reckon that you would be able to automate the thing to a greater extent - i.e., set an MS Project macro to trigger the tasks at prescribed intervals of days after the start of a project. Which I think is what you may be after.

I have not had time to check if this works as above in my version of MS Project 2007.

Hope this helps or is of use anyway.

keithy397

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2011, 04:43 AM »
You could create a Google Calendar for each project.  It's very flexible, has colour coded calendar and events and has 3 kinds of alerts too - email, sms & pop-up and you can add however many alerts you need. 

Another one I use is Rainlendar.  With this I have the current month and events list always displayed.
Cheers,
Keith

delwoode

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2011, 06:59 AM »
just use Keybreeze - as well as being a launcher like FARR the main reason I use it and have abandoned FARR is because of it's excellent stickynotes/reminder feature just watch the video
keybreeze video

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2011, 10:50 AM »
@delwoode:
just use Keybreeze - as well as being a launcher like FARR the main reason I use it and have abandoned FARR is because of it's excellent stickynotes/reminder feature just watch the video
keybreeze video
Thanks for the link. Keybreeze looked like a really interesting and potentially useful proggy, so I downloaded the setup file.
However, from the contents of that file, it looks as though the development of Keybreeze stopped on 2010-03-01, and from the looks of the website it may have been abandoned (several of its pages are broken).
Do you know whether the proggy has been abandoned?

delwoode

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2011, 03:17 PM »
Yes I think he is no longer developing it but I still use it as I havent found anything I like better and if it does what you want who cares.

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2011, 07:13 PM »
@delwoode: OIC. Though I thought that Keybreeze was rather good, I couldn't see that it was better than what I already use - i.e., FARR, whch seems to have the same and a lot more functionality than Keybreeze.

That's why I said "it looks as though the development of Keybreeze stopped on 2010-03-01" - I suspect it needs updating/improving, to keep up with users' emerging (new) needs.
I shall give Keybreeze a longer trial and see if I was missing anything special about it.