ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Linux kernel.org hacked

<< < (4/5) > >>

Stoic Joker:
But isn't the mac crowd sort of mixed in with the *nix crowd now?-wraith808 (September 02, 2011, 12:20 PM)
--- End quote ---

No, the Mac crowd bends to the will of lord jobs ... And therefore fiercely believes his every decreed word in that OSX is indeed a thing unto itself. Because it use some piece/part/portion in some arcane mini-Minge kernel project, and is therefore not just a slapped on GUI desktop masking a copy of FreeBSD.

And then there's the rest of us that think ^^they're^^ full of shit.  :D

Lashiec:
Nope. They want nothing to do with us nixers.
-40hz (September 02, 2011, 01:20 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yet it's amazing the amount of open source supporters who run a Mac, though sometimes out of spite :P

40hz:
Nope. They want nothing to do with us nixers.
-40hz (September 02, 2011, 01:20 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yet it's amazing the amount of open source supporters who run a Mac, though sometimes out of spite :P
-Lashiec (September 04, 2011, 10:03 AM)
--- End quote ---

I thought it was more out of pity they did that...

Poor little Mach kernal being held captive by Apple like that. What did it ever do to them? ;D

Tuxman:
Darwin is open source, it is just Aqua that is not. Anyway, I really wonder what should be so "great" about a BSD/Mach hybrid bastard of a kernel, given that OSX is, according to Secunia, more insecure than Windows 7.

40hz:
^Mach was pretty rad for it's time when microkenals were all the rage.

I think the main reason Jobs liked it was because that's what they used for his ill-fated NeXT machine (Jobs never admits he backed the wrong horse) - and the license allowed them to use the code without needing to give anything back.

So I'd hesitate to call Mach3 a bastardized kernal.  It's just a different approach than the one more commonly used by most of today's production operating systems.

But who knows? GNU Hurd is based on the Mach kernal - and there's some chance Hurd may finally be out in the near future after 20 years of waiting. A "Hurd variant" of Debian is slated for release with version 7.0 (aka: Wheezey). Beta downloads are already available for it. (Note: this is seriously beta so don't bother unless you're really curious about it.)

8)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version