ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

How do you organize/access tiny portable utilities?

(1/4) > >>

nosh:
I have a folder full of tiny utilities collected over time, single exes with maybe an associated .ini or a .hlp file. I suspect a lot of you have a similar collection. I could launch these using a launcher like FARR or Launchy but I rarely seem to remember their names. There are also occasions where I'm not sure I have the right tool for a job and need a quick look at what I have in a certain category... eg:networking

I figured the best way to do this would be to use tags and after trying some tagging software, none of which I cared much for, I've settled for a somewhat unconventional solution. I use Linkman to organize these files. The files can be dragged and dropped to the "Apps" folder in linkman, the Apps folder has ~apps in its comment keywords field. Each util gets a bookmark inside this folder with all applicable tags added to the comment field. So if I'm search for an app I type ~app (to get the url bookmarks out of the way) and follow it with whichever tags are appropriate. I haven't really committed to this system but I really like it. I'm curious what system others use to access these apps... (other than using your superior memories to remember their names, of course! :P )

Edit: Quicker/"dirtier" approach, just add the tags to the filename and use something like Everything to find them. The name length restrictions shouldn't pose much of a problem. Also takes care of portability. [Edit: Bad bad bad for command line utilities! :) ]

Curt:
I use skrommel's "ShortcutTip", so when I point at a shortcut, I get an accurate description of the program's features, copy&pasted from the program's homepage when I first downloaded the file. You already have them installed, so maybe you'll wear out just thinking about this.

https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=14168.0

:) Try this one!

ShortcutTip - Prompts for a description when a shortcut is created.

Features:
- It watches the Start menu and the Desktop.

You'll find the downloads and more info at 1 Hour Software by Skrommel.

Skrommel
-skrommel (July 25, 2008, 07:27 PM)
--- End quote ---

I also used to use FileNotes from jamworkspro, but it has left the Net - at least I can't find it. I don't think it ever was updated for Vista.

nosh:
ShortcutTip seems like a useful utility but it won't help with searching.

I found a Filenotes Organizer on filenotes.com... I'll give it a whirl when I get some time.

Thanks, Curt!

Curt:
-oh yeah, I forgot about Filenotes Organizer, because I couldn't accept the asking price ($49), and expected it to be abandoned (update December 1st 2005).

nosh:
I've settled for this system, it works really well.

Clarification:
I suppose the keywords used in the comment field probably belong in d-uh 'keywords' field, I've been using the comment field for my urls so it's just bad form being carried forward. The search works just fine, though.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version