topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 9:47 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Truecrypt forced dismount and filesystem corruption  (Read 9360 times)

nosh

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Truecrypt forced dismount and filesystem corruption
« on: September 01, 2011, 05:52 AM »
I've had problems with the NTFS filesystem of a Truecrypt volume (external HDD) getting corrupted in the past. I've run chkdsk and that fixed it most times. I had to reformat the drive and start from scratch on one occasion (after chkdsk couldn't fix the problem, IIRC - I'm hazy about the details since it was a while back.)

I suspected hardware issues but it struck me it could be the forced dismount I used on the volume. The dismount was initiated through a batch file using the /force switch, so it occured everytime.

I stopped using forced dismount and started using Unlocker to take care of whatever was stopping the volume from dismounting normally.

Today, I tried to dismount the volume and got the usual "truecrypt volume contains files or folders being used by applications or system" message. Unlocker shows there's nothing locking the drive. I installed iobit Unlocker and it doesn't show the drive as locked either. I did a forced dismount, remounted the volume and ran chkdsk. No errors detected, but I'm worried my luck may not last. There seems to be a mismatch between what Truecrypt and the Unlocking utilities are reporting. The Windows Indexing service never runs on my system and I even closed the usual suspects - Everything & Locate32 (both configured to ignore the TC drive), anti-virus (doesn't scan in realtime, in any case).

Is there any way to know which files-in-use/apps Truecrypt has detected? Or should I just go ahead and use a forced dismount as long as Unlocker gives me the all clear?
« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 06:06 AM by nosh »

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Truecrypt forced dismount and filesystem corruption
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2011, 07:20 AM »
paranoia.jpg

Maybe I'm excessively paranoid, but whenever I have a problem like that with an encrypted volume I just do a quick restart rather than get fancy with switches and forced quits. I'd rather let Windows "do the paperwork" if there's a chance of data corruption when mounting or unmounting storage devices.
 8)

« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 07:27 AM by 40hz »

nosh

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2011, 07:27 AM »
Seems like that's the only "clean" solution available.  :up:

Just saw your edit... 4 minute reboot... I AM EXCIIIITE!  :P

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2011, 08:17 AM »
4 minute reboot? Wow... :tellme: I can run a full integrity check on my Linux filesystem in less time than that.  :-\

nosh

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2011, 08:20 AM »
Haven't actually timed it but it definitely isn't brisk!