ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Finished Programs

DONE: Simple Duplicate Folder Finder

<< < (2/2)

magician62:
Hi Jody, you got it. Its to find duplicate FOLDER names. I supply a number of locations across different drives, and ONLY those locatins need to be checked to see if they contain duplicate folders, no recursion needed. And the only action then is to add a + at the front which effectively gets the folders to the top of the list, which is in this case a Library view.

I then manually check contents, move from one folder to the other and delete whats unwanted, including the empty folder. I then manually remove the "+" from the folder

MilesAhead:
I always thought '+' sign was restricted as a file/folder name character. Apparently it is allowed. I just created a new folder named with a '+' at the start. But I am seeing a lot of stuff on the web about deleted files/folders that start with a plus not showing up in recycle bin, and other anomalies. It may be asking for trouble. Even though it's an allowed character, it's used for concatenation on the command line. It's bound to be misread by some software(likely Windows itself.)

edit: a leading underscore may accomplish the same thing without the bugs. _FolderName should float to the top.. unless you already have a bunch of folders with leading underscores.

skwire:
This is done but, since it's such a custom request, I'm not sure if anybody else will be able to get any use out of it.

There is no GUI and you must manually create a folders.txt file with the paths you want scanned.  This folders.txt file is expected to be in the same folder as the main program executable.  A message box will pop up when it's done scanning and report how many dupes it found and renamed.  I'll post the archive here for posterity.   :D

http://skwire.dcmembers.com/apps/snacks/Magician62DupeTool.zip

magician62:
Many thanks as always for a simple, but sweet utility. Has saved me about 3 hours work every few days

skwire:
Many thanks as always for a simple, but sweet utility. Has saved me about 3 hours work every few days
-magician62 (May 03, 2012, 11:31 AM)
--- End quote ---

You are very welcome.   :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version