ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Post New Requests Here

Idea: Limit Internet Bandwidth

(1/2) > >>

vinayakjoshi:
Hi

I have a seven year old son who hogs all the bandwidth at our home WIFI network playing games and makes browsing for others absolutely miserable. We have a WIFI router connected to the broadband connection. I understand there are several options if one routes the internet connections through a server, however since the setup is at home, all of us connect to the router.

It would be great if a software be developed that limits the bandwidth on his computer to say 100kbps so that others also get some bandwidth for their use. :-)

I have tried netlimiter but it advertises its presence by pop-ups and a tray icon and my son is smart enough to catch and remove this.

However I can easily install and include the program in his startup files and he will not notice.

Can anyone help?

Thanks
Vinayak

skwire:
Does your WiFi router have any sort of traffic shaping options on it?  Depending on the brand, it may be called QoS (Quality of Service) as well.

vinayakjoshi:
Does your WiFi router have any sort of traffic shaping options on it?  Depending on the brand, it may be called QoS (Quality of Service) as well.
-skwire (August 30, 2011, 08:09 AM)
--- End quote ---

It does, but they are IP address driven (I think). And our IP addresses keep on changing depending upon the order in which we connect our devices to the router.

skwire:
our IP addresses keep on changing depending upon the order in which we connect our devices to the router.
-vinayakjoshi (August 30, 2011, 08:13 AM)
--- End quote ---

Check your router for a static DHCP option.  This will allow you to assign static IPs to your devices via each of your network card's MAC addresses.

vinayakjoshi:
Check your router for a static DHCP option.  This will allow you to assign static IPs to your devices via each of your network card's MAC addresses.
-skwire (August 30, 2011, 08:22 AM)
--- End quote ---
Ok, and then what should I do next?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version