ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

I know I've got a dose of absenteeism... but it's going to get worse

<< < (3/8) > >>

cranioscopical:
I was going to say have a blistering good time but then I thought...

You'll both see life through a different lens after this trip  :Thmbsup:

JavaJones:
Sounds like an absolutely amazing experience. I've often thought of doing something similar, like the John Muir Trail or even the Pacific Crest Trail (gasp!) here in the Western US. I can't wait to hear about your journey upon your return!

- Oshyan

Perry Mowbray:
Thanks all  :Thmbsup: 

Why can't I sleep??? :mad: 

It will be amazing, but at this point I just can't imagine what it'll be like (we've only done a couple of weeks in one go before)... so beyond our experience (I guess we'll either get addicted or hate it?). Apparently it's modelled on the Appalachian Trail?

I've taken extra strong measures against Sandi's propensity to blister, and on the 110km of training walks we've done it's looking effective. If it's one thing I'm desperate about it's making sure that Sandi enjoys the walk. And yes, with 48Gb of card space available, I'm expecting (if not obliged to take) quite a few photos  ;)

...and it would be great if you could drop in (although that's impossible physically), I'm hoping I'll get a sense of your vicarious enjoyment along the way ;)

Anyway: busy day ahead - we've a late flight over to Perth arriving near midnight then 3 extremely busy days after that before setting foot on the track (which at this point will be a relief  :D)

Catch you when we get back  :Thmbsup:

Perry Mowbray:
Well... we're back (I think) :huh:

Two months of having had your life reduced to 6 simple tasks each day:

* eat
* pack up
* put one foot in front of the other until the next camp site
* set up
* eat
* sleep
makes for a very uncomplicated life. Getting back home (not that I entirely recognized it when we got there), has been an interesting and difficult experience. The memories of life before the walk are like far away stars that spin away well outside our reach or influence.

The walk itself went extremely well (should hope so, it was thoroughly well planned), but there were no surprises like injuries, sickness or accidents. We got every type of weather except snow and most of our gear performed very well (I was getting rather worried about our boots that were getting very thin and we were starting to feel every stone or stick we walked on). We were pretty happy to finish as there was a strong sense of completeness, but we didn't really want it to end (if you know what I mean); and maybe the funniest thing of all in the midst of that simplicity was that each day pushed the previous day out of your head so that we were only left with today (they often had sufficient troubles and difficulties to keep us busy anyway) - so now it all seems so far away.

I'm now dwarfed by the task of sorting through the 9.5K photos that we took, the 256 pages of diary entries and the 1,000 kms of GPS log, trying to work and battle the xenophobia that seems to have snuck in somewhere when we weren't looking  :-[  But I'll get it all sorted as the flowers were awesome and the scenery brilliant, and there are some wonderful memories hidden in there somewhere...

Thanks for all your thoughts and concerns: it was absolutely fantastic and we'd do it again at the drop of a hat... tomorrow would be nice  ;)

mouser:
It sounds so amazing.. What an experience.  I can only imagine.  You really got a chance to step outside of our normal reality.  I'm jealous.
I can't wait to hear more about it as you have time to digest the experience. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version