ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Flexible List (data) Management - ListPro and the Alternatives

<< < (2/7) > >>

Steven Avery:
Hi,

Afaik, Excel generally thinks of one spreadsheet at a time, and then navigating to another.  ListPro keeps your dozens of tables handy at one-click.  So that is a real conceptual difference.  Maybe you could emulate that a bit with an Excel add-on, but it is straining the bucket.

** The ListPro HTML Export I just tried and then looked at the resulting file in Firefox (simply by clicking the file). The results were impressive and that might really help with my printing concern on the more involved "lists" (tables). **

InfoQube is going to have a hard time getting into quick data mode.  
Maybe after some real careful, attentive learning.

I think my main curiousity is whether any other simple-moderate List programs compete with ListPro as flexible database design and quick data entry modules. Who are * close * in that regard yet better in printing.

So far I have not seen any List-ToDo-PIM that really relates to data as flexibly as ListPro.  Only database programs and in the long run InfoQube so far.  And database programs have the similar overhead-environment-cost issues as Excel.  Remember, ListPro starts with an Explorer folder-list function ready to go, like the note programs Keynote, RightNote, TreedbNote.  A big plus.

Shalom,
Steven

criss:
Hi,

how about these (cheap, portable, easy to use):

GS-BASE http://www.citadel5.com/gs-base.htm
GS-CALC http://www.citadel5.com/gs-calc.htm

I used them for some weeks and was very content.

Dormouse:
I love listpro and used it a lot when I had a windows mobile. I kept looking for them to release an android version but there's never been any sign of them doing one so I've more or less given up using it. I've never seen anything similar that is just so simple to use but still powerful. I've ended up with mlo just to sync lists since I never liked any of the other alternatives I tried. Also works well as a way of getting my tdl lists onto the phone.

Armando:
[...]
InfoQube is going to have a hard time getting into quick data mode.  
Maybe after some real careful, attentive learning.
[...]
So far I have not seen any List-ToDo-PIM that really relates to data as flexibly as ListPro.  Only database programs and in the long run InfoQube so far.
-Steven Avery (August 30, 2011, 02:15 AM)
--- End quote ---

Hi Steven,
what do you mean by quick data mode ?

Fields are created very quickly, and so are items and grids.
What can be long is to create you own complex set up from scratch.

So what's suggested is to start with a sample DataBase (new--> New IQBase with sample data), not a completely blank one. A completely blank one can be frightening, granted. And it's NOT a good idea.

In its current state, IQ can be "complicated" only when you start scripting, play with conditional formatting, conditional calculations, etc. Otherwise its principles are simple :
- you create items with fields
- items are displayed in grids depending on the items characteristics. Grids act mostly like filtering devices : you see the items which correspond to the various filters set in the grid.

That said, it could very well be that listpro is much better for your needs.

xtabber:
I used ListPro when I had a Treo, but have stopped since I switched to an Android phone.  I still use their eWallet software to keep passwords and a wide variety of other sensitive information. eWallet uses the same database engine and is extremely flexible in that regard. It has limited auto-login capabilities, which is fine by me, but may be a no-go for others.

Unfortunately, while Ilium has good support for the iPhone, they don't seem to have much interest in Android.  They do provide a free eWallet viewer for Android, which is what has allowed me to keep using that program, but nothing for ListPro.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version