topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Monday March 18, 2024, 9:19 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: which hierarchical note program?  (Read 39858 times)

bardamu2000

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: which hierarchical note program?
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2008, 11:54 AM »
Seems this conversation went to sleep a long time ago. Any updates?

Personally I am a great fan of KeyNotes, but I would like to see some additional features
- drag and drop URLs and media
- Post-It functionality for single notes
- alarms
- tagging (in addition to categories).

Somebody having a tip for me?

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2008, 12:47 PM »
bardamu2000: i'm sorry to be the one to break the news to you but Keynote has ceased to be developed by its original programmer. :) though the author released a minor update recently, check out this thread.

tranglos

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2008, 01:06 PM »
bardamu2000: i'm sorry to be the one to break the news to you but Keynote has ceased to be developed by its original programmer. :) though the author released a minor update recently, check out this thread.

Guilty as charged, and I don't even have a good excuse.

Tagging - I wish I had though of that early enough.

Alarms though I never felt were a good idea for KeyNote - there is an explanation why in the FAQ (last item in the 1st section)

URLs - I never actually had to implement this, because it's part of OLE and comes for free with the Windows richedit control. I've just dragged a URL from FireFox to KeyNote, which inserted the URL and the description. I didn't even know it worked :)

Other media content - not recommended due to the way binary data is stored in RTF format. Including even a single high-res picture will bloat the knt file hugely, and there is no way to avoid it except to use a completely different data format, which was not available at that time. (If you wanted text formatting, RTF was the only viable option - and this hasn't changed much really, though there are two commerical Delphi editor components that replace richedit nicely). There's a chapter on that in the FAQ as well :)

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2008, 08:22 PM »
thanks for the explanation, tranglos. i forgot to mention that the author also frequents in DC forums.. :) btw as you mentioned, i sometimes insert images but i convert it into a grayscale image to keep the *.knt size down..

doublewitt

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2008, 09:55 PM »
How about TreeDBNotes Pro? - an excellant hierarchical notes manager. The fun here is the *lockable multi-tabbed notes feature with password hints. You can link attachments to every note. You can also view your collection of texts in an external window in full screen mode - make changes - and they will be auto-saved to the original text. There is also a customizable *shortcuts manager and there is an alarm section. You have the option to include contacts and passwords trees but that remains as an option. You can use the multi-tabbed feature for notes (texts) alone... and there's more...
« Last Edit: January 09, 2008, 10:43 PM by doublewitt »

bardamu2000

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2008, 04:46 AM »
bardamu2000: i'm sorry to be the one to break the news to you but Keynote has ceased to be developed by its original programmer. :) ...[/url].

I knew this already, seems true that all good things come to an end eventually.

Tagging - I wish I had though of that early enough.

I am quite sceptical about all the Web 2.0 hype, but to me, taggs seem to be a wonderful way of classifying "everything". Currently I am looking into ACDSee, which is using it for photos and found it would be a good addition to note taking software as well. BTW, does somebody know if there is some kind of a tagging framework for computer files (Windows)? It's such a universal approach to getting stuff organized, tagging for everything could be my next killer app.

Alarms though I never felt were a good idea for KeyNote - there is an explanation why in the FAQ (last item in the 1st section)

I see your point. But if one would choose a different approach to organising notes than files, all the notes could be held in one big pool. Problem solved - though I see some new ones coming along.

Other media content - not recommended due to the way binary data is stored in RTF format. Including even a single high-res picture will bloat the knt file hugely, and there is no way to avoid it except to use a completely different data format, which was not available at that time. (If you wanted text formatting, RTF was the only viable option - and this hasn't changed much really, though there are two commerical Delphi editor components that replace richedit nicely). There's a chapter on that in the FAQ as well :)

You are perfectly right about the problems with RTF. Seems like my ideas really demand a new architecture an can not be build easily on top of KN. As a first and very rough draft, I see a database holding different types of "notes" (real ones, media stuff...), easy drag&drop and copy/paste functionality, tags and mayby categories, and an alerting mechanism (not to forget editors)... a new application! Or maybe somebody knows on already capable of all this stuff?

a_lunatic

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • Fulltime Single Dad
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2008, 05:14 AM »

BTW, does somebody know if there is some kind of a tagging framework for computer files (Windows)? It's such a universal approach to getting stuff organized, tagging for everything could be my next killer app.

Is this what you are thinking of http://www.tag2find.com/home.0.html

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2008, 05:25 AM »
bardamu2000, there's a few threads recently here about tagging and organising of files (maybe if you do a search for each word) which I think have gone into great detail re problems & options

Seems like my ideas really demand a new architecture an can not be build easily on top of KN. As a first and very rough draft, I see a database holding different types of "notes" (real ones, media stuff...), easy drag&drop and copy/paste functionality, tags and mayby categories, and an alerting mechanism (not to forget editors)... a new application! Or maybe somebody knows on already capable of all this stuff?

sounds a bit like SQL-Notes to me -
not sure about the tagging as such cause I dont know the programme well enough but:
Long thread here SQLNotes...what is it exactly?
It's being developed at the moment in Beta so you could always make a request!
Tom

bardamu2000

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2008, 07:42 AM »
bardamu2000, there's a few threads recently here about tagging and organising of files (maybe if you do a search for each word) which I think have gone into great detail re problems & options

I will check, at a quick glance I only found a thread about tagging the forum. But it seems to be more concerned with banning certain words as tags.

sounds a bit like SQL-Notes to me -
not sure about the tagging as such cause I dont know the programme well enough but:
Long thread here SQLNotes...what is it exactly?
It's being developed at the moment in Beta so you could always make a request!

Thanks for the pointer, I have checked this one out. - It wasn't love at first sight, though. I did stumble across Evernote, which comes pretty close to what I have been looking for. Tags are called categories and can even be automatically assigned. Alarms are missing, sadly.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2008, 07:53 AM »
have a look at this search list (ignoring the couple about site content)
https://www.donation...arch2;search=tagging

SQL-Notes is complex but seems to be very versatile and is being developed at a hares pace but would require :-\ learning I'll just say! But I think it has, or will soon have all you're looking for

Evernote is very nice, I'm only getting really into it lately myself
Tom

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Tom

zenzai

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2008, 04:11 PM »

Check out InfoAngel, it's a pretty nice program:

http://www.angelicso...re.com/en/index.html

tamasd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2008, 07:26 PM »
Bardamu, try MyInfo from Milenix. It shall do what you ask for, not sure about post-it and alarms, though...it's longer time since I tested it.

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #38 on: January 14, 2008, 12:26 AM »
marek - I had no idea that you were the author of Keynotes!!  All I can say is than you very much for that program!!  I'd have thanked you long ago if I had known.

(I recently noticed that the project is still being carried on SourceForge as if it were still active.)

Jim

tamasd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #39 on: January 14, 2008, 02:59 AM »

(I recently noticed that the project is still being carried on SourceForge as if it were still active.)
Marek moved there in an attempt to find collaborators or someone who will take over.
But there was no-one to join (except Douglas, who did some work, but if I remember correctly, nothing was released from that), surprisingly, as KeyNote is still fairly popular. Probably it's not common in Delphi world to work on an opensource program. Speculation: it's more common to take the source and release it as their own in a commercial application (at least I have seen one or two over the years that looked way too similar to KeyNote).
I guess the project is still active in terms of looking for someone to take over.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2008, 03:02 AM by tamasd »

tranglos

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #40 on: January 14, 2008, 09:16 AM »

It's been on SF for ages.

The code has always been open and for the taking, but the code is ugly, since I was learning as I went, and it would be quite difficult to expand it without first refactoring the heck out of it. I intended to rewrite the thing from scratch, but never managed to put together anything. Not for lack of trying, I just tried to bit more than I could chew.

I'm afraid the project is the opposite of active :)

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #41 on: January 16, 2008, 01:20 PM »
Thanks marek!  Sorry I didn't see your reply earlier.  (Sometimes if I am online a while I see a post directly and so I don't use the email link again - which causes no more email notifications for that topic.   :) )

Jim

imtrobin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #42 on: May 01, 2008, 01:31 AM »
I was previously using Neomem, and looking for a new note taker to switch to. I've evaluated quite a lot mentioned here, but they didn't cut it. I just checked out Maple (I noticed it was mentioned), and it is FANTASTIC.

It has everything Neomem has, in addition, very good features

- Drag and drop images
- Backups to 1 file, meaning external data are stored internally
- Can export to html tree, chm and other formats
- Can export a branch to another file.

http://www.crystalof...epro/screenshot.html

Are we able to get a discount on it? My friend and me are planning to buy a license :)

dantheman

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Be good if you can!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #43 on: May 01, 2008, 03:26 PM »

It's been on SF for ages.

The code has always been open and for the taking, but the code is ugly, since I was learning as I went, and it would be quite difficult to expand it without first refactoring the heck out of it. I intended to rewrite the thing from scratch, but never managed to put together anything. Not for lack of trying, I just tried to bit more than I could chew.

I'm afraid the project is the opposite of active :)

Marek!
It's good to see you here!  8)
I just downloaded Keynote today as i've adopted it as clipboard monitor.
Just perfect!

It would be nice if someone could pick up on it, now that it's open source. 

Dormouse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #44 on: May 01, 2008, 03:30 PM »
I just checked out Maple (I noticed it was mentioned), and it is FANTASTIC.

I had a quick look at the website and couldn't see what would make it better than TreeDBNotes. And the features mentioned are in the free version of TreeDBNotes.

Tekzel

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #45 on: June 27, 2008, 03:33 PM »
I just checked out Maple (I noticed it was mentioned), and it is FANTASTIC.

I had a quick look at the website and couldn't see what would make it better than TreeDBNotes. And the features mentioned are in the free version of TreeDBNotes.

I know this is an older post, but I have been trying to find the perfect note taking app to replace Keynote for a long time and have tried many, many of them.  NeoMem was cool, but its basically a dead project.  Couldn't get with SQLNotes or EverNote.  I recently found TreeDBNotes and I do believe I am in love.  So far, it does everything I want.  First thing on my list is be a tree based note taker. :)   That is the thing I disliked the most about Evernote, the tape thing just never worked for me.

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #46 on: June 27, 2008, 04:41 PM »