ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Goodnight Irene

<< < (2/7) > >>

J-Mac:
The local news here is ridiculous! In this area (SE PA) we're having nothing more than what a Nor'easter usually brings, and we get them several times a year. But they are trying to make this into the "News Story of the Century". Showing their field correspondents (Ha!) standing outside earlier today (Yesterday now, I guess) saying the winds are wicked and it's getting tough to stand outside and the background shows trees and shrubbery not even moving a little bit! When the forecast said the Hurricane had dropped down to a Category 1 you would think someone killed their pets or something. Each of our local news stations now has maybe two news anchors and about 8 or 10 "weather experts". Someone has apparently decided that the news is WEATHER - even when there is none! Saw a reporter today standing in front of a large graphic showing wind gust speeds and the top of the range was 50 mph. He said how disappointing that was and that even gusts at that speed are "extremely dangerous". That's another thing - they haven't reported expected wind speeds at all; only "maximum gusts", which is not the problem; it's sustained winds that cause most damage.

After living south of Miami for years and having Andrew bring our house down around us in  1992, this is downright silly!

Jim

40hz:
+1 w/J-Mac.  :Thmbsup:

The reports of our total destruction and the extirpation of all sentient life has been greatly exaggerated. ;)

We're about 3.5 hours away from the eye passing over us in SW-CT and nothing major is happening so far.

Some rolling blackouts and a lot of rain seems to be about it. Which is to say no excitement beyond what a Nor'easter provides.

And as J-Mac pointed out, we get those several times a year.

Onward! ;D

cranioscopical:
Which is to say no excitement beyond what a Nor'easter provides. -40hz (August 28, 2011, 07:43 AM)
--- End quote ---

Good to learn that you're safe!

Irene's been waiting six years to make a comeback.

Stoic Joker:
The wife and I were discussing the insane level of hype this morning. Why the media thinks creating wide spread panic is helpful is beyond me... But being in Florida I'm rather use to it.

Glad to here you rode it out ok. :)

db90h:
Did you really expect different from the media? The funny thing is that when something big does happen, it always catches them off-guard.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version