topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 6:32 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Donation gamer: Games to give  (Read 32102 times)

iphigenie

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Donation gamer: Games to give
« on: August 27, 2011, 01:00 PM »
Hi

I have a bunch of games on gamersgate and steam (and a few direct from developers) which I meant to give to friends but, I must notice, in quite a few cases I have failed to convince individual friends to be interested enough. In other cases I received as a bonus or gift something I already had...

So I figured, this is donation coder, I'll be donation gamer

None of them are expensive, but still, a freebie is nice  :P

Here are the "rules"
* Please be nice, I'll try to do first come first serve but I might get something wrong and apologise in advance
* actually think you'll play the game a few hours in the next month :)
* If on gamersgate or steam, I'd expect you to add me to your network (iphigenie/superiphi) so I can bask in the warm glow that at least someone is playing the games my friends wouldnt play
* removed the 4th rule on intending to donate - intending to participate is fine too :)

On Steam:
Several copies of "Defense Grid". That one is so awesome I first had it on Direct2Drive, then on Steam, then I bought a 10 pack on sale to spread the love :). 4 gone, 1 left
Detour - a bit clunky but a neat idea, and probably will get patched. Pipeman with weapons. Mac and PC, iirc. 2 gone
Hoard - Mac or PC. Xbox port, best played with a gamepad
Portal 1 - 1 copy. Mac or PC
Vertex Dispenser - an action puzzler game about lines and colors Mac or PC. 2 gone
NEW: Sanctum - First Person Shooter Tower Defense

On Gamersgate:

Infans Solaris - asteroids with co-op mode
Woody Two-Legs: Attack of the Zombie Pirates
Guilty Gear Isuka - a fighting game http://www.gamersgat...GI/guilty-gear-isuka
Stronghold 1 - old but good :)
RIP - old school shooter
RIP strike back - old school shooter

Directly bought from software developer

Creeper world - hard to describe, but awesome little game, with a huge amount of content. small web demo here http://knucklecracke...erworld/web/play.php
Din's Curse - an excellent indie game, mix of diablo and rogue with emergent storyline

« Last Edit: September 03, 2011, 06:52 PM by iphigenie »

Josh

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Donation gamer: Games to give
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2011, 01:52 PM »
For those of you who have not tried defense grid, please it. It is a really well thought out TD game, with quite a few levels and challenge modes.

Likewise for Portal. Portal and Portal 2 are perhaps my two most favorite games, with the death spank series coming in a very close third. Portal is immersive with a deep story line which travels into portal 2. I recommend both.

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2011, 04:47 PM »
nice set of games, iphigenie.. may i suggest that you put the games in the monthly giveaway draw such as the one here? that way, you don't have to worry who was first and who wasn't.. :)

btw, +1 for Defense Grid. so good that i bought two copies on Steam! ;D

iphigenie

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2011, 05:48 AM »
well I haven't been swamped so far - not 1 taker

I did check the people from DC I have in my friends list on steam, but all have Defense Grid except for Carol - I'm not going to "throw" games around as it is always possible you a)didnt like it or b)already have it in some other format/platform

Go on, do indulge your curiosity  :-[

Creeper world and Din's Curse are gems - many of the ones you haven't heard of are worth. Creeper world is kind of tower defense, but against an ennemi which is, really, a fluid. Quite unique.

PS: all I need for the steam or gamersgate giving is a valid email address. Steam then wants you to register and use their client etc. Gamersgate asks for minimal registration and has a special download file per game, no client or anything once the game is downloaded (although there is a screenshot/chat overlay if you want one)

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2011, 08:13 AM »
@iphigenie - I just wanted to commend you for your generosity. With all the hoarding going on, it's nice to see people sharing what they no longer have a use for. I have the same attitude towards my own stuff. These days, if I'm not currently using something (or keeping it as an emergency spare) it's out the door in a heartbeat. I'd much prefer to see something I bought put to use rather than gathering dust on a shelf.

book-hoarder.pngDonation gamer: Games to give

The sole exception is my book collection. Those I keep more of than I probably should. Gonna have to get my head around doing something about that too. :o

:)
« Last Edit: August 28, 2011, 08:19 AM by 40hz »

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2011, 08:22 AM »
@iphigenie: i am kinda interested in Woody Two-Legs: Attack of the Zombie Pirates. i can pm my email address or add me on Steam.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2011, 08:23 AM »
I've been thinking- I think there are a couple other people on DC who have extra games on Steam (I know I do)- maybe we should put together a giveaway (or contest) especially for Steam games?  Just a thought...

y0himba

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Yar.
    • View Profile
    • y0himba.net
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2011, 08:33 AM »
Hello!  If you still have them, I am interested in:

Defense Grid
Stronghold 1 (My son plays it in strategy gaming at school-it's a gifted course)
Din's Curse

I have also sent you a PM, thanks so much!

mahesh2k

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2011, 08:53 AM »
I've been thinking- I think there are a couple other people on DC who have extra games on Steam (I know I do)- maybe we should put together a giveaway (or contest) especially for Steam games?  Just a thought...
+1

Cool idea. If anyone is interested in giving away "tower defense game" not discussed in any thread of DC, i'm interested. :D

iphigenie

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2011, 01:35 PM »
@iphigenie - I just wanted to commend you for your generosity. With all the hoarding going on, it's nice to see people sharing what they no longer have a use for. I have the same attitude towards my own stuff. These days, if I'm not currently using something (or keeping it as an emergency spare) it's out the door in a heartbeat. I'd much prefer to see something I bought put to use rather than gathering dust on a shelf.
 (see attachment in previous post)
The sole exception is my book collection. Those I keep more of than I probably should. Gonna have to get my head around doing something about that too. :o

:)

For me, It's easy if someone will use it, not if I am actually throwing it away...

I can therefore give away decorative objects and clothes etc. easily, as charities always happily take them. Electronics, computer bits, old PC games, accessories for gamecube or mobiles... not so much. Nobody just takes that. I should list it on ebay, much of it would go, but frankly the hassle of it is too much. I'd give a pile to someone even if they then go and sell them at car boot sales or on ebay, I dont like waste and that I own so much more than I need bugs me :S

Increasingly charities dont take books either :(

iphigenie

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2011, 01:44 PM »
On gamersgate I also have one copy of Crayon Physics Deluxe, Mac or PC. Sent to R months ago but he hasnt bothered to accept, so perhaps someone here will appreciate it more. This might take a bit more time since I need to send a support ticket to cancel the unaccepted gift

Also one or two of the turn based xcom games, need to go check which
« Last Edit: August 28, 2011, 01:48 PM by iphigenie »

iphigenie

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2011, 01:48 PM »
Why so many games? I bought when on sale, often packs, which overlap and create duplicate licenses. Thankfully Steam detects that so you can give the duplicate

Gamersgate is even more flexible, if you havent taken the license code and downloaded the full installer, you can still donate any game you bought. So if it turns out you never got around to playing it, you can gift it

Edit: we've had one person delurking (well registering) to come and ask for a game, welcome :)
« Last Edit: August 28, 2011, 02:15 PM by iphigenie »

steeladept

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2011, 03:59 PM »
Interesting.  Since you just started this thread yesterday, don't be distraught that you have had so few takers.  I wasn't even online yesterday so I didn't see this till today.  Unfortunately I personally am running Linux now, but my wife's box is Windows.  If she is okay with me putting some games on it I may take you up on Portal and/or Defense Grid.  Want to try a trial first though - as I don't want to try them, find I don't play them and prevent someone else from having the option.  I will let you know though.

steeladept

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2011, 05:17 PM »
Nevermind.  Turns out her machine is less than 1GHz which is the minimum requirement anyway for Steam.  My linux machine is slightly better (not by much though) but it isn't worth us reimaging our machines just for a few games, even if they are free.  We hope to get a few new machines by the end of the year, though, so if this catches on, we might be a lookin'. :Thmbsup:

As for some even older games, we have a few we can give away.  They are CD based, they are that old, but that doesn't make them any less good.  When I go through them later this month I will try to post them for anyone interested.

iphigenie

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2011, 06:09 PM »
Steeladept, Let me have a look what I have on linux - I keep thinking I'll switch so buy the occasional game just to encourage them, but linux remains my secondary OS

etnies

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2011, 09:25 PM »
Thanks for the game!  8)

worstje

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • The Gent with the White Hat
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2011, 12:54 AM »
I'm quite interested in Vertex Dispenser, if I'd be eligible. It looks interesting and is not a TD clone. (I hate Tower Defense.) :)

Thanks for this great initiative. More people should do this. If I had any spare games, I definitely would.

iphigenie

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2011, 02:46 AM »
I'm quite interested in Vertex Dispenser, if I'd be eligible. It looks interesting and is not a TD clone. (I hate Tower Defense.) :)

Thanks for this great initiative. More people should do this. If I had any spare games, I definitely would.

PM'ed you for what I need to send it to you

Vertex dispenser is definitively not a tower defense game, it's an action puzzler based around territory capture and a variation on map-coloring.

You get vertexes by moving over them, and they get a specific color based on neighboring (already used) colors. There are patterns to getting to the rarest colors (i hadnt noticed that part of the game at all, until they show it in a tutorial level, as caught up in the action and figuring out the movement as I was).

So far, puzzler - now add competitors, bots, and that colors fill up reservoirs which then trigger boosters or weapons... and suddenly you're trying to figure out the patterns while not losing territory....

It could get quite interesting between humans if they are at the same stage of learning the game

worstje

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • The Gent with the White Hat
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2011, 11:17 AM »
Sounds like a good challenge. I particularly like the art I saw in the trailer video on its steam page; I'm a sucker for clean art like that.

If you ever need something coded (Coding Snack, whatever), give me a holler and I'll see what I can do! :)

steeladept

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2011, 04:37 PM »
Steeladept, Let me have a look what I have on linux - I keep thinking I'll switch so buy the occasional game just to encourage them, but linux remains my secondary OS
Thanks.  I certainly understand it being your secondary OS.  I made it my primary out of a combination of need (in that I can't afford a new OS license - there's more to it that I don't want to get into here) coupled with the desire to learn Linux more thoroughly.  I know I won't learn any more than I have already (which is a fair amount at any rate) without making it my primary OS.  I am also finding Linux distros actually have some of the same 32/64 bit issues Windows does.  All in all, I have decided I like Windows best, but right now that isn't really an option.

iphigenie

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2011, 11:43 AM »
A bit more about the games not claimed yet...

Infans Solaris
"Taking inspiration from the classic game Asteroids and other fast-paced games of the genre such as Geometry Wars, Infans Solaris (Latin for "Sun Child") pits 1-4 players in a battle to save Earth and themselves from a lethal barrage of cold, lifeless asteroids. Harnessing future technology, players are able to create blackholes, causing nearby debris to be pulled into an ever-consuming void that grows stronger as more asteroids are pulled in and broken down." (sounds a lot like the "dark matter" Asteroids clone but with multi player on one screen)

http://www.youtube.c.../watch?v=CpewBFTDPfM - page on GG http://www.gamersgat...solaris?caff=1235991 - developer https://sites.google.../scitalisgames/games

Creeper World - reviews http://www.pc-games-...m/creeper-world.html http://www.outofeigh...er-world-review.html http://www.rockpaper...ecial-creeper-world/
Youtube is full of videos because some levels can have clever solutions. One at random http://www.youtube.c.../watch?v=blPJ5N1Lku8 (quite long)
I *really*got into this game - it is abstract, can get intense, and has a lot of levels. There's even a level generated based on the date, which can be lame or totally crazy :)

Guilty Gear Isuka - was a PS2 game. This is some kind of port. Don't know much about it

RIP / RIP strike back top down shooter http://www.outofeigh...ike-back-review.html
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 04:28 PM by iphigenie »

iphigenie

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2011, 04:37 PM »
I'd missed one: Sanctum, a First Person Shooter Tower Defense where you take the role as Skye, an elite soldier sent out to protect her home town, Elysion One, from hordes of mysterious alien creatures. On Steam.

And... nobody wants Portal? There's cake!

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2011, 05:19 PM »
Thanks for Defense Grid - really enjoying it.

Only problem is it is very time consuming - love the graphics.

Trouble is I always seem to get killed in the last moments of each level - haven't got my strategy totally sussed yet!

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2011, 05:38 PM »

;D :Thmbsup:

Trouble is I always seem to get killed in the last moments of each level - haven't got my strategy totally sussed yet!

Some Defense Grid Strategy
I was having a hard time with Defense Grid's later levels until I saw somebody say they could beat every single level with just Guns, Cannons, and Temporals (and Anti-Air for maps with heavy air traffic). Throw in an occasional Command tower here and there near your kill zones to rack up extra money and you've likely got a formula for success on those levels you can't figure out a strategy for.

Also a lot of the strategy involves just making the aliens take a really long path.

And sometimes when I just can't kill that boss in time I will "juggle" them by opening up a path on one end and closing off the one he's heading for, and then when he gets close to the exit I reverse it by opening up the original path and closing off the one he's currently heading for. This makes them run by my guns multiple times as they head for the moving exit.

« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 05:44 PM by Deozaan »

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2011, 06:36 PM »

But...! You know :)